Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can we convince more NH youths to drop out of government school?  (Read 18273 times)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: How can we convince more NH youths to drop out of government school?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 04:43:14 pm »

Some. But you need to refer whether they remain open.
Populated areas tend to do the best... as they can draw students without extensive travel demands.

There is definately the ability for them to work dependent on the model.

dude6935

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010, 05:12:41 pm »

At least one is web based so you can attend from home. I like that model, at least for some students and for some of the year.

MTPorcupine3

• Sovereign Solutions: Free State Project
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 09:02:28 am »

My brother dropped out at 16, not because he was dumb, but because he didn't like being told what to study and how to study it. Today he is more literate, articulate, and generally educated than any of us that I know of. He drives a bus for entertainers on tour, listens to books & lectures on tape, and between gigs goes abroad to study languages.

Screw the Public Fool System, which I stuck with like a good little boy, and which I'm still trying to get out of my system.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 10:34:24 am »

Use to be  16 in NH with parental permission...
The constitutional requirements in NH are finished by 8th grade (13?)... secondary schools is something more modern.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 09:53:36 am »

I have a brother who dropped out about 16 also - he didn't feel like wasting his time proving he knew stuff that he didn't need to learn, and wasn't interested in most of his classes. He did wind up completing high school (with some persuasion by us family members to get him to not drop out again, with an appeal to future job opportunities) at a local charter school that had an online program where he got to choose most of his courses and proceed at his own pace. He was almost 20 when he graduated, but that's ok - he is now 2 years + into college and finally chosen a major in one of his favorite subjects, horses.

If the constitutional requirements are fulfilled by the end of 8th grade, why couldn't we get a bill in to lower the mandatory education age to 14? It seems like most of the dropouts are after that anyway, and Japan is doing just fine educating their students with no mandatory high school.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:37:20 am by 10stateswithnh »
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

dude6935

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 03:03:23 pm »

If the constitutional requirements are fulfilled by the end of 85th grade, why couldn't we get a bill in to lower the mandatory education age to 14? It seems like most of the dropouts are after that anyway, and Japan is doing just fine educating their students with no mandatory high school.

Lol at the "85th" grade. I hope they don't start keeping kids in school that long...  ;D

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 03:45:25 pm »

Completely possilbe to lower the mandatory age...
Not that I would guarantee passage... as the State has deep restrictions in other areas to push the 18 agenda.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 09:38:05 am »

Sorry - fixed my typo. 8th grade, not 85th.  :)
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 02:58:49 pm »

To me, it's not about getting them out of the government schools as much as it is about getting to their parents and letting them know that public schools brainwash and dumb down their kids.  It's about reinforcing that whole freedom culture in New Hampshire.  I was able to disarm school officials and even teachers as a kid only because I had been warned ahead of time about this system.  It's only when they really understand the true intent of mass compulsory schooling that they start putting two and two together, you know what I mean.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 04:37:28 pm »

So your suggesting that government schools only 'dumbed down' the others?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up