Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How can we convince more NH youths to drop out of government school?  (Read 18265 times)

antistate1190

We need some kind of strategy to ensure this. Government schools are a waste and we need to be showing more kids how they can drop out of school and still have a good life. What would be some tactics?

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: How can we convince more NH youths to drop out of government school?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 02:19:04 am »

Obviously you don't have a clue as to how NH is structured.

Antijingoist

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 08:54:38 am »

looking back on life, I wish I dropped out of school, but then I would not have the job I do now. Unless a counter economy was stronger, you'd set them up to have very difficult lives.

antistate1190

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 11:11:23 am »

looking back on life, I wish I dropped out of school, but then I would not have the job I do now. Unless a counter economy was stronger, you'd set them up to have very difficult lives.

I think you can get a job without schooling. I also think schooling is the reason we have no jobs in America anymore.

It's like this: say you go to school at a liberal arts college like Goucher in Baltimore and you graduate with a degree in something useless libearl-artsy like philosophy or psychology. OK now you have to get a job, but you think your degree makes you "too good" for a manufacturing job in the factory but you don't have a high enough education to get a really high-level job. So now youre screwed. I'm seeing this w/ more and more college graduates. They graduate from expensive schools w/ useless degrees and then they have all this student debt to pay off and no job because they think their "education" makes them too good for a blue collar job and not good enough for a white collar job.

This is another reason why I'd hesitate ever sending my kids to college. It's a waste of time and money. I can teach them all the skills they need at home when there young.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:21:38 pm »

The manufacturing job loss in America was largely because of redevelopment of foreign competition after its destruction is WWII.
Certain trade agreements made it worse, though they are more free market.
For example, the Jay Treaty allowed the US and Canada to trade/travel more freely and they developed together. When various US Administration tried to include Mexico (not an original AofC member)... it might have worked by slowly opening markets. But shortly afterward the GATT was signed, and jobs envisioned for Mexico headed to China.

Unlike Mexico which supplies the US with energy (oil), China competes with the US for resources.
So while GATT opens up trading, it had a much larger economic displacement.

antistate1190

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 01:09:04 pm »

The manufacturing job loss in America was largely because of redevelopment of foreign competition after its destruction is WWII.
Certain trade agreements made it worse, though they are more free market.
For example, the Jay Treaty allowed the US and Canada to trade/travel more freely and they developed together. When various US Administration tried to include Mexico (not an original AofC member)... it might have worked by slowly opening markets. But shortly afterward the GATT was signed, and jobs envisioned for Mexico headed to China.

Unlike Mexico which supplies the US with energy (oil), China competes with the US for resources.
So while GATT opens up trading, it had a much larger economic displacement.

Free trade isn't the problem. The problem is these kids coming out of 45k per year liberal arts schools with useless degrees. If I get a philosophy degree I can tell u all about philosophy but I can't put caps on bottles and if I went thru all that schooling I wouldn't want to spend my whole life putting caps on bottles anyway. But see I can't get a job as a doctor or lawyer b/c I don't have enough schooling for that. This is why I think most schooling is useless and will discourage my children from attending.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 01:17:20 pm »

I don't disagree with your assessment as to the value of formal schooling beyond a certain point. Especially for those not looking to a specific field or career... but manufacturing jobs for the most part do not require a degree.

creaganlios

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 02:46:39 pm »

This is another reason why I'd hesitate ever sending my kids to college. It's a waste of time and money. I can teach them all the skills they need at home when there young.

Hopefully you'll teach them when "they're" young, not when "there" young.

And hopefully they will indeed be smart enough to know that you're wrong, and will put themselves through school whether you 'send' these adults there or not.

Antijingoist

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 06:54:52 pm »

My problem is that education was so expensive, I never got my cs/software engineering degree. :) Going to school for that means beans without the fancy paper. And instead of working up a portfolio or experience, I was too busy studying programming on a vax, or playing with overrated languages for "educational reasons." If I had skipped school, I would have spent time learning cocoa and java then, rather than now, inbetween jobs while supporting a family.
Education tends to be on what makes you a good slave, not what makes you an innovative generator of value.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 08:04:30 pm »

My problem is that education was so expensive, I never got my cs/software engineering degree. :) Going to school for that means beans without the fancy paper. And instead of working up a portfolio or experience, I was too busy studying programming on a vax, or playing with overrated languages for "educational reasons." If I had skipped school, I would have spent time learning cocoa and java then, rather than now, inbetween jobs while supporting a family.
Education tends to be on what makes you a good slave, not what makes you an innovative generator of value.

although some places won't hire you without fancy paper.

I had the wrong words on my fancy paper and didn't get hired...even though I had installed and taught all of their people how to use the software.
They wanted someone with a computer science degree. ::)

antistate1190

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 08:53:15 pm »

Kids need to know: if you can't afford school then DONT GO!!!!! Your presence at school costs taxpayers billions of dollars every year. Most of what you learn in school you can just learn on your own in a library. Stupid kids and parents need to stop thinking about themselves and start thinking about us who have to pay for these education camps.

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 09:44:23 pm »

I feel very differently than some folks about this. I think if you homeschool your kids at least through grade school, they will have such a leg up that college will be a breeze. If money is your concern, use the Gary North method. While there are many careers that don't need a college education, you are shutting yourself out from millions of jobs if you don't have a college degree.

I'm not saying it's right for everyone, and I completely agree that humanities degrees can be a waste, but with a little foresight from parents and effort from children, you can get a huge leg up.
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 10:35:48 pm »

Kids need to know: if you can't afford school then DONT GO!!!!! Your presence at school costs taxpayers billions of dollars every year. Most of what you learn in school you can just learn on your own in a library. Stupid kids and parents need to stop thinking about themselves and start thinking about us who have to pay for these education camps.
Really not required to fund universities/colleges.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 11:13:31 pm »

Obviously you don't have a clue as to how NH is structured.

Can you clue him in?

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 12:32:12 am »

Individual children don't get to make the decisions. By the time they are no longer 'youths', its post-secondary... which doesn't matter except for public subsidies which are not constitutional obligations.

He needs to appeal to parents/guardians.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up