Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I found a picture-perfect NH town  (Read 6124 times)

antistate1190

I found a picture-perfect NH town
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:47:09 pm »

This looks like the place I'd want to move to if it weren't so far from civilization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hancock,_New_Hampshire

Looks picture-perfect. Right in between Keene and Manch. I would encourage more liberty activists to move here since it's very small and we could have a lot of influence. Maybe turn it into a liberty community and abolish all taxation within the town.

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
Re: I found a picture-perfect NH town
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:15:48 pm »

"As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 1,739 people ...

5.1% had a female householder with no husband present ...

3.9% from 18 to 24, 26.0% from 25 to 44,"

= 88.7 single women between the age of 18-44 that own their own house.  Belly up to the bar gents !!!
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:04:16 pm »

Hancock, 18.15% property tax.

Ouch.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

antistate1190

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 07:50:27 pm »

Ouch.

More of a reason to move there. Fight against taxation.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 03:38:13 am »

That's meaningless unless you compare it to the average property value.

Berlin has a very high tax rate. But, property values are in the septic tank (that is, they're worse than "in the toilet"), so the tax bills aren't all that high.

creaganlios

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:53:01 am »

OK, serious time out here....how can you be so over-the-top arrogant as to suggest a Town based on a few numbers, and to actually suggest that it can be taken over and taxes eliminated?  Are you living in a comic book world?This is just the sort of crap that gives the FSP a bad name.

When I sawyou mention Hancock I almost spit my outhful of coffee across my keyboard.  Have you ever been there? Do you KNOW the PEOPLE there?  They are not mere numbers and tax rates: they are families and neighbors and employees and grandmas...they are a COMMUNITY.  ANd if your idea is "Hey, here's a small town, let's take it over and show them how they;ve got it all wrong!,"  you will get your ears pinned back and your asses kicked in so far they;ll come out your navels....and deservedly so.

Change in NH comes from becoming part of a COMMUNITY...not from numbers and bright ideas.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 07:22:43 am »

Ouch.
Decimal point is in the wrong place.

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:45:27 am »

Ouch.
Decimal point is in the wrong place.

What John is trying to say is that should be 18.15 mils - tax per $1000 assessed value.
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

freedomroad

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 09:47:03 am »

It has expensive housing and high taxes. I think it would be hard for you to convince the people in the town to eliminate all taxes but maybe you know something I don't.

Lots of people move to NH to Keene, Manchester, Nashua, Seabrook or a porcmanor somewhere.  They look around, get to know people and then move somewhere else based on their experiences and desires once they are in NH.  So, it doesn't matter too much where you move when you first get to NH (as long as you can find a near-by job if you are looking for one).

antistate1190

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 02:50:18 pm »

OK, serious time out here....how can you be so over-the-top arrogant as to suggest a Town based on a few numbers, and to actually suggest that it can be taken over and taxes eliminated?  Are you living in a comic book world?This is just the sort of crap that gives the FSP a bad name.

When I sawyou mention Hancock I almost spit my outhful of coffee across my keyboard.  Have you ever been there? Do you KNOW the PEOPLE there?  They are not mere numbers and tax rates: they are families and neighbors and employees and grandmas...they are a COMMUNITY.  ANd if your idea is "Hey, here's a small town, let's take it over and show them how they;ve got it all wrong!,"  you will get your ears pinned back and your asses kicked in so far they;ll come out your navels....and deservedly so.

Change in NH comes from becoming part of a COMMUNITY...not from numbers and bright ideas.

It's not "taking over" the village it's about REFORMING the village. Look most Americans want lower or no taxes.

If this is a "town take over" then what is the Free State Project? A "state takeover" b/c that's how the project was billed from the start. NH was chosen based on the same criteria: low population, small size, a liberty-loving population that wants more liberty and the POTENTIAL to create a voluntary system.

creaganlios

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 06:08:16 pm »

It's not "taking over" the village it's about REFORMING the village. Look most Americans want lower or no taxes.   

How truly generous of you..."reforming' the Town (not village) because those poor country rubes sure as hell could never have done it on their own without your wisdom.

If the folk of Hancock wanted lower or no taxes, I assure oyu, they could have figured out how to do it without your wisdom.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 06:25:56 pm »

If this is a "town take over" then what is the Free State Project? A "state takeover" b/c that's how the project was billed from the start.

You need to read a thousand past posts in this forum arguing about this topic... but let me make it simple for you: You're wrong.

And it's poorly educated folks like you who bandy around words like 'takeover' that are the problem... and cause folks who are looking for excuses to write inaccurate articles to continue to claim whatever nonsense they want...  and folks like Thom, me and others, who are good neighbors and respect our local communities are ignored, in favor of loudmouths like you.

You've posted a good handful of posts ranting about what 'we' should do, and ignored and argued with pretty much everyone who actually lives here.  Perhaps you can stop posting, start listening, and if/when you do move, you'll be grateful someone told you to pipe down and open your ears not your mouth for a while.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 08:41:24 pm »

Hancock is a nice little town. maybe you should move there
Maybe if you move there and start making positive waves you can get others to join you.

1.8% tax is probably low for the state
i don't think there is a bar there
i think there is quite a bit of civilization there
if you think this town is far from civilization .... where are you measuring from?

if you listened to guys who have gone before you, you will probably save some effort
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 09:44:25 pm »

Actually changes do come from numbers and bright ideas... just best to start with the bright idea. Much of what I see is simply 'tax shifting', rather than ideas that spur innovation and ecomomic well being for the masses. But I must admit, having so many open to so much gives me hope for a better future.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 09:57:24 pm by John Edward Mercier »

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 12:17:16 am »

If you're a voter type, you can have a huge impact as one person in towns like Grafton and Seabrook.  These are fairly small towns (Seabrook is near several small cities, but has less than 9,000 people), and many votes come down to just a few people.  For petitions, you can gather signatures and get key issues onto the ballot and in front of folks and have a real discussion.  In Seabrook alone, we've had four or five issues resolved by just one or two votes in the last year.  If you think that you're one vote doesn't count, you will learn otherwise, here, that's for sure.  Moreover, as a sign holding, signature gathering activist, you can bring about real change in these small towns, encouraging more change elsewhere.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up