Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: OFF THE GRID  (Read 13267 times)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: OFF THE GRID
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 09:34:11 am »

If your tying in... no need for the battery bank. NH has net metering, which I believe is annualized.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 11:01:24 am »

If your tying in... no need for the battery bank. NH has net metering, which I believe is annualized.

but if you generate more than you use you can only 'bank it' for one year than you lose it.

Also if PGNH goes down... you have no electricity but it you battery bank it... you have it.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 12:26:25 pm »

but if you generate more than you use you can only 'bank it' for one year than you lose it.

Also if PGNH goes down... you have no electricity but it you battery bank it... you have it.

Not a big deal if you have a generator, but to use "alternative" energy only you'd need the batteries, if grid went down.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 06:07:18 pm »

I wouldn't exactly say you lose it. At the end of the year, the account has to be settled. So PSNH, or whomever is the local grid control, pays for the 'banked' energy.

JaqEboy

• the Alternatives Expo
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 08:28:35 pm »

hey I've been reading a lot about off the grid living and becoming self sufficient. Can any one recommend some books or good areas of New Hampshire that would be good for an off the grid life style? Does anyone know about solar and wind power? I want to know everything there is to know before i make the big transition. I want to live the way people were meant to live. Today our life style is connected to a fragile system with no safety net. If something bad were to happen, there would be a lot of unprepared people. So I'm interested to hear what you guys think and know.

You might want to check into the New Hampshire Sustainable Energy Association (NHSEA). They have workshops, etc. They're the New Hampshire chapter of Northeast Sustainable Energy Association (NESEA). If you want to see how other people are living off the grid in New Hampshire, you won't want to miss the Green Buildings Open House this weekend: http://nhsea.org/gboh/. You get to choose homes to visit from the list of all the people who have opened their homes up for the tour - you choose the ones that are already doing what you want to do and visit their house, ask them a boatload of questions and move on to the next house. What's so good about GBOH is that you get to actually meet the people that designed the systems and live in them day-to-day!

I may not make it this year because of everything else going on, but you should definitely go!

NESEA puts on the Building Energy Show every year and it's the biggest alt. energy show in the east. There's also a Manchester Home Energy Show - I'm looking for the date.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:39:28 pm by JaqEboy »

waifofthenorth

• Wandering Waif of the North
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 01:15:47 am »

I read about this "passive house" in Vermont which uses extra insulation and the orientation of the house to the sun and other considerations so that it needs minimal heating. I was also pretty interested whether you could minimize reliance on utilities in a colder climate--my grandparents in Canada have a heat pump or something, but apparently that won't work in all the rock in NH.

Anyway, these people seem to have spent a fortune on their house, but the article is pretty interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/business/energy-environment/26smart.html?pagewanted=all

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 10:39:22 am »

You can minimize space heating requirements fairly effectively even in a renovation. Water heating takes a little extra work.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:31:04 pm by John Edward Mercier »

JaqEboy

• the Alternatives Expo
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 10:03:56 pm »

I read about this "passive house" in Vermont which uses extra insulation and the orientation of the house to the sun and other considerations so that it needs minimal heating. I was also pretty interested whether you could minimize reliance on utilities in a colder climate

I'd be interested to see if you could build a zero net energy home here, too. The people you might want to talk to are the New Hampshire Sustainable Energy Association, nhsea.org. They're the N.H. chapter of NESEA, North East Sustainable Energy Associaion, which is a very active group.

The other place you might want to check is at Nexus Boston. They have an alternative energy research library that is open to all of us. They also say they'll answer questions for you, even do research - I haven't tried them for research, though.

--my grandparents in Canada have a heat pump or something, but apparently that won't work in all the rock in NH.

Anyway, these people seem to have spent a fortune on their house, but the article is pretty interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/business/energy-environment/26smart.html?pagewanted=all

I loved the article - thanks for posting that link. I learned a couple of things. I don't have the $500k though to do what they did. You CAN do heat pumps here - I've worked with a guy that does them. You burn a lot of electricity to pump the water out of the ground and circulate it and operate the refrigeration loop, but you extract enough heat to heat the home with abt. half the cost of burning oil.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:10:31 pm by JaqEboy »

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 12:44:15 am »

I loved the article - thanks for posting that link. I learned a couple of things. I don't have the $500k though to do what they did. You CAN do heat pumps here - I've worked with a guy that does them. You burn a lot of electricity to pump the water out of the ground and circulate it and operate the refrigeration loop, but you extract enough heat to heat the home with abt. half the cost of burning oil.

In the NH winter? There's no reason to pay much at all to operate a geothermal "heat pump"... solution left to the thermodynamically inclined.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:47:33 am by B.D. Ross »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 12:32:19 pm »

Building a Zero Net Energy home in NH only becomes complicated in adaptation of lifestyle... or geographic location.

etc

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 08:11:35 am »

Here is one example of off the grid living (not a very good one admittedly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMWh-l_W_0&ob=av1e
New Hampshire Charter: Considering with ourselves the holy will of God and our own necessity, that we should not live without wholesome laws and civil government among us, of which we are altogether destitute, do, in the name of Christ and in the sight of God, combine ourselves together to erect and set up among us such governments as shall be, to our best discerning, agreeable to the will of God.

etc

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 08:33:49 am »

To me, the most difficult aspect of off the grid living is a source of income.

So you find land, presumably cheap, in the northern part in some cheaper county, do the off-the-grid thing but where will your income come from?  No jobs in the sticks, or if there are, they are min-wage with huge competition for them.

That's the dilemma.  If you want any  kind of a viable, paying full-time job, have to go to Southern NH or the coast but the cost of living is significantly higher. Plus all this off-the-grid survivalist stuff is not possible in these areas, for example they require 5 acres for every chicken you have.

So the idea of off-the-grid living hinges on some kind of business you have, not a typical 9-5 situation with an employer. Ideally something online. Setup a HughesNet wireless Internet dish and you can have broadband internet anywhere.  That's what I am looking into. In a rural area, you don't need that much FRNs to live. I think I could live well on 1000/month. But that would not be possible in Nashua, with all the housing expenses that you get.

New Hampshire Charter: Considering with ourselves the holy will of God and our own necessity, that we should not live without wholesome laws and civil government among us, of which we are altogether destitute, do, in the name of Christ and in the sight of God, combine ourselves together to erect and set up among us such governments as shall be, to our best discerning, agreeable to the will of God.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 08:24:10 pm »

'Off the Grid' generally references utility hook-ups...

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 10:12:52 pm »

'Off the Grid' generally references utility hook-ups...

It's also come to mean not leaving private information about yourself all over the place.

preparehandbook

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 07:13:09 pm »

Don't be afraid to go cheap!

The wife and I have been off grid for 7 years.

For much of this time we have used 185 watts of solar backed up by a very efficient generator. That's not a typo, 185 watts of solar, with a panel cost of about $300.

My mother looked at converting her house and received quotes of $35,000 to $50,000. The quotes included removing her gas water heater, stove and furnace and replacing them with electric, using an electric stove and heater is crazy.

We analyzed the quotes and showed her how she could have the same quality of life for $6,000.

If you are willing to be a little creative and live with a system that is not as "turnkey" as people are used to, you can save 75% of the cost of a solar system. Yes, I sometimes have to flip a switch or check a wall meter, but my inverter cost under $300 and my charge controller under $20, versus the $1,800 I would have spent for one that was more autonomous. I have to manually start a generator, but my generator cost me $800 and runs 8 hours on a gallon of gas, vs $3,000 and 1.5 gallons an hour for one that self started, plus $600 for the interface to my system (I use an extension cord).

Go cheap, use less power, save $$$
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up