Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visiting in Late Nov. - December  (Read 1396 times)

wakingside

Visiting in Late Nov. - December
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:37:53 pm »

I will be getting laid off for the winter after October. I'm planning to come visit, with the possibility of staying. I just feel like I'm having a hard time breaking it to people. Most of the people I know(all but maybe two) do not get the ideas of what real liberty means, so many things I try to explain either go over their heads or I assume I failed at explaining properly. It feels like a double edged sword, I have practically no one here that shares my views on liberty so I see no reason to stay, but at the same time I find it hard to leave knowing that all these people I care for don't get it. I guess this is more of a personal rant than anything else but, I'd appreciate commentary.

Matt

garthwaited

• Administrator
  • First 1000
Re: Visiting in Late Nov. - December
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:11:10 pm »

Try explaining to them that you aren't moving to find liberty waiting for you in NH, you are moving to fight for it.

BigJoe

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:21:24 pm »

or just say that NH has low taxes and low unemployment and don't even mention the FSP.  Maybe you just want some 'adventure' or a 'fresh start'

RichW

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:41:59 am »

Most of us have a bunch of people in our personal lives (friends, family, etc.) that aren't libertarian or don't "get it".  It may be important to examine why that is important to you.  Is it because you feel like you need their approval?  Some other reason?  Don't let the ignorance of others affect your decision.  As you gain knowledge and experience, you will be able to convince others more effectively.  Some will never get it.  In a sense, the rise of the FSP is an acknowledgement of that fact.  We are no longer begging the majority to respect our rights.  We have joined together to live life OUR WAY.  Nothin' wrong with that.  The only thing that matters is whether it is right for you.  Your visit will go a long way towards answering that question.  Good luck Matt.
"... it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...."  ~  Samuel Adams

OnLifeAndLiberty.com - Erik

• Give trade a chance!
    • On Life and Liberty
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:13:11 pm »

If you care for them, then showing them the new life you build, and the new people you meet, will be much better at explaining what exactly you're doing.

Explain by showing... and until you get to NH, just tell people you like the scenery =)

wildboar

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 04:36:30 pm »

If you're coming to the North Country to check it out and need a place to stay for a couple days I can help. Message me for more info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up