Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phone tapped?  (Read 2256 times)

rolsby

Phone tapped?
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:41:17 am »

Generally, I'm a "my glass is half empty" kind of person.

Ever since we moved into my new place I've noticed some clicks on my phone.  My wife and I will be talking about something mundane (kids, work, chores), and then I'll hear a click.  In my paranoid imagination, it's a telltale sign of wiretapping.  Perhaps it's just my imagination.  Perhaps it's a switch between analog and digital signal.  Perhaps it's the phone that the kids spilled juice on in the past.  But it reminds me of the federal requirement that when a conversation isn't material to a crime, the recording has to be stopped; at least, that's what the movies tell me.

Since I don't have much solid information, I'm left to guess.  It's a rental and a duplex.  Were the previous tenants involved in...something?  Is someone else in the building being tapped?  Was it my coworkers Facebook comments about Obama which ultimately lead to their termination?  Is my sympathy for the free state movement?

It's enough to make you paranoid!  ;D

Jeff NH

Re: Phone tapped?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:31:29 am »

It is trivial to tap a phone without causing clicks. I suspect the building has some crappy wiring.

artienewport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:30:59 pm »

Lightning hit our phone wiring once. Sounded like shit for years afterwards. Then we got them to replace it, and the clicks and noises disappeared.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:45:04 pm »

Modern phone taps don't click or hiss. Chalk it up to poor wiring and water. If you're really concerned about it, get an electrician to check your phone lines.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:57:51 pm »

People still have phones with wires?  Cool!
Pages: [1]   Go Up