Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anonymous Membership  (Read 5371 times)

Jubal

• I'm a llama!
Anonymous Membership
« on: August 11, 2002, 09:19:35 am »

Is anonymous membership allowed? Suppose the proverbial shit hits the fan: jack booted thugs raid the FSP office and make off with a list of all members.

Anonymous membership has always been a critical component of any revolution. With secret balloting, there is no reason to compromise the vast majority of members privacy. Or is there?

marciesmom

• I'm a llama!
Re:Anonymous Membership
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2002, 12:54:23 pm »

Good question.  I get anthologies of Backwoods Home Magazine (for those who don't know, it's a libertarian-oriented country lifestyle magazine aimed at homesteaders and wanna-bes), and the editor has mentioned strategies for keeping subscription lists from the feds.  I hope the group is taking similar measures.

debra

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2002, 02:00:51 pm »

Oooh, excellent question!  Hmmm, in addition to encryption and other protections on our end (e.g. shredding paper applications once data is stored electronically), I would imagine members who are extra cautious about their names being on lists could simply sign up anonymously.

I mean, if you use the name "John Smith" and give no identifying information (like an address or phone number), you couldn't receive paper mailings (not that we're doing those yet), but you couldn't be identified.

But it shouldn't be a problem - I mean, we're asking you to sign giving your word of honor...it's not like we're going to show up on your doorstep saying, "Sir, I hope you've packed, you'll be moving now."  

So it's totally up to you. We don't *need* your real name.
"Society has always honored its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."

BukHix

• Don't Tread On Me!
    • The Conservatarian
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2002, 12:31:30 pm »

Is anonymous membership allowed? Suppose the proverbial shit hits the fan: jack booted thugs raid the FSP office and make off with a list of all members.

Finally, a chance for me to be more radical then my compatriots here at the FSP. Twenty thousand people is an awful big fan for the s*it to hit. There is power in numbers and it would be unlikely for the Feds to use force against us as long as we stay within the law of the land (The U.S. Constitution.)

However, I agree that a group like us will probably make them a little nervous and they are, at some point going to check into the backgrounds of the most vocal amongst us, anonymous or not. Anyway there is no anonymity on the Internet and you are just fooling youself if you think otherwise.

If any Jack Booted thug would like my full name, address or any background information about me please send your inquiries to bhicks at liberty1st.org.

When the Founding Fathers signed the Declaration of Independence they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. Are we less men (and women) then they?

If or when the proverbial s*it hits the fan we can all stand together or hang separately.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 03:44:55 pm by BukHix »

debra

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2002, 12:44:46 pm »

When the Founding Fathers signed the Declaration of Independence they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. Are we less men (and women) then they?

Yes, but I really suck at subterfuge, so I don't have much choice.   ;D
"Society has always honored its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."

BukHix

• Don't Tread On Me!
    • The Conservatarian
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2002, 04:00:37 pm »

I'd rather they didn't spend it all to stage another 9/11 type thing.

Just to clarify, are you saying you believe the U.S. Government staged the trade tower attacks?

Unfortunately we live in a country now with a degree of 'law' which they at that time did not experience. They were in fact oppressed, but not to the degree of our current police state.

Hmmm I don't think I can agree with you on this point either. I mean the threat of death by hanging for treason is a little scarier then being abducted by the Feds and relocated to Guantomino Bay (spelling?) As bad as the current police state is I don't think we are going to see any public hangings, at least not yet.

Still, I don't see reason to make it all that ea$y. As someone mentioned concerning the porcupine, it can be eaten, but its not a cheap lunch.

Great point and one I won’t take lightly.

BukHix

• Don't Tread On Me!
    • The Conservatarian
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2002, 06:27:54 pm »

I am more inclined to believe that the vast amounts of information were lost in the bureaucracy, it happens all the time. No conspiracy necessary.

I don't want to get into a huge debate about this particular issue but I can not believe that our government, as bad as it is, would purposely allow airliners to crash into the towers just to gain more power.

The grab for power was happening long before 9/11 and mostly with the consent of the people. There was no need to create a crisis to continue a trend that has been on track for 50 years or more.

It is my tendency to distance myself from conspiracy theories so I think this is one of those issues we are going to have to agree to disagree on and move on. Besides I don't want to take this thread further off topic.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2002, 06:31:57 pm by BukHix »

Mega Joule

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2002, 02:21:38 am »

[quote author=MouseBorg
As gov foreknowledge of the attacks has already been solidly established (even in the heavily controlled & censored US news), that leaves two options:

1) It was gov staged.

2) It was allowed by the gov.

You forgot:
3) The fedgov did what it often does and used a tragic event to advance their existing agenda.  It was the best excuse in decades for the usurpation of American liberties.  It was the day every stinking federal agency had been waiting for with their wish list of government regulations in hand.

Power is addictive, and the drug of choice for any addict is more.

That's why we're in this S**T storm now.  The fedgov (like governments throughout human history) functions to insure its own existence and to increase its own power and authority in order to guarantee an empire to pass on to its progeny (federal agencies).  It (the fedgov) is in a sense practicing species preservation.  

I welcome disagreement, and am glad to see that all do not agree with all of my opinions, as that would be rather frightening.  :)

Glad to hear it.  I love a good argument.  ;)

Meg
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

radracer

• You miss 100 % of all the shots you never take. WG
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 03:16:51 pm »

I'm with Meg on this one. The wholesale reduction in our civil liberties coinciding with the huge excuse for escalating government power to eavesdrop anytime anywhere is what we're now seeing with the Patriot acts I and II. That represents a negative paradigm shift worth Billions in asset forfeiture alone, once Big brother is able to equate any disagreement with the government to terrorism and arrest you for it (already a part of PA II). You think they wouldn't kill 3000 people for that power? Or train Bin Laden to do it (an association already proven to our CIA) and sit back with the FBI diverted to "Brothel watching" in Louisiana (during 911) and watch it happen. I just hope they don't decide to rid themselves of all their freedom opponents at once and stage a nuclear "accident" in the FSP state! Back to the thread though, I guess it's too late to change my name to John Smith if I've already registered huh?
"Dreams are but thoughts until their effects be tried. -  William Shakespeare"

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out
how far one can go. - T.S. Eliot

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 03:44:29 pm »

Next on Fox News: "The Free State Project, whose members now number 20,000, all named John and Jane Smith, have begun the move... "  ;)

I see problems with the vote unless we are able to at least verify that there is a real person behind each name...... Doesn't matter if the name is right, but only one name per person....

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Tony

• FSP Participant
  • Anywhere but Delaware
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2003, 02:26:39 am »

I see problems with the vote unless we are able to at least verify that there is a real person behind each name...... Doesn't matter if the name is right, but only one name per person....

The vote is going to be done on paper ballots mailed to members, right?  If a member was truly to remain anonymous wouldn't he/she need to not give an address?  It'd be a bit pointless to say I'm John Smith and I live at such-and-such. ;)  I doubt the anonymous members will vote.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2003, 07:50:37 am »

Yeah, you need an address, so you can use a pseudonym if you want, but we still need a way to reach you with a paper ballot.  If you want to use a "care of" address of a friend or relative who can give you the ballot, that's fine.

We'll be removing people from the member list who don't vote, so you definitely want to give some kind of address to help us reach 20,000.

I don't think there's a need to worry about privacy, however, as I've instructed everyone who has access to the database to either 1) keep it off your computer on a CD-ROM, or 2) keep it passworded and behind a firewall.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up