Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am seriously considering moving and need information.  (Read 2276 times)

wakingside

I am seriously considering moving and need information.
« on: August 08, 2010, 05:10:38 pm »

Hello,

My name is Matt and I currently live in Wisconsin. I first found a podcast of Free Talk Live back in February and have been listening to archived shows from then to now. I really feel strongly about everything I hear and can think of nothing better to do than to participate. I just don't know where to start.

My current situation severely limits my internet access. I live and work on an organic cranberry farm, from April to October I live in a tent on the property. What this means for me is I have very limited time to research what I want to do. I know so very little about New Hampshire. I don't know anybody there. I don't have the slightest clue where I would want to go. I don't know what I would do for work.

What I asking for is for someone to give me a crash course on whats going on and what in general is even possible to do. I am able to get on the internet for maybe a few hours a week. I really wish I could just research all this stuff myself but my current situation makes it difficult. I would be most grateful if someone can help me some. I am very serious about making the move there.

If all else fails, I do get laid off from work at the end of October, from then on I am on unemployment until the next spring. I would even consider visiting out there during the winter if I can't find a permanent situation.

Thanks and peace,

Matt

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: I am seriously considering moving and need information.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 06:57:37 pm »

Hi Matt,

Welcome!

About 600ish people have moved to NH as part of the FSP.
Many are involved politically and are working in towns and in the State House.
4 FSP movers have been elected to the NH House.
About 20 or so are running in 2010.
FSPers have joined or formed groups for fighting taxes, gun rights, marijuana, etc etc
Many FSPers are also going the 'agora' route not getting permits or licenses and just 'living free'.
There are also many people who are doing civil disobedience route.  Getting arrested for things that a government should arrest people for.

Tell me what kind of activism you are interested in and I can give you more info.

time4liberty

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 12:31:09 am »

Hello,

My name is Matt and I currently live in Wisconsin. I first found a podcast of Free Talk Live back in February and have been listening to archived shows from then to now. I really feel strongly about everything I hear and can think of nothing better to do than to participate. I just don't know where to start.

My current situation severely limits my internet access. I live and work on an organic cranberry farm, from April to October I live in a tent on the property. What this means for me is I have very limited time to research what I want to do. I know so very little about New Hampshire. I don't know anybody there. I don't have the slightest clue where I would want to go. I don't know what I would do for work.

What I asking for is for someone to give me a crash course on whats going on and what in general is even possible to do. I am able to get on the internet for maybe a few hours a week. I really wish I could just research all this stuff myself but my current situation makes it difficult. I would be most grateful if someone can help me some. I am very serious about making the move there.

If all else fails, I do get laid off from work at the end of October, from then on I am on unemployment until the next spring. I would even consider visiting out there during the winter if I can't find a permanent situation.

Thanks and peace,

Matt

Can you perhaps ask more specific questions? I can tell you that the unemployment rate in NH is among the lowest in the nation. And indeed, there are people doing all sorts of activism, from lobbying, to getting elected to office, to starting free market businesses without asking government permission, to civil disobedience, to media/outreach.

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:34:04 pm »

Wooo hoo!  Come on up!   8)
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

Alex Libman

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 06:22:49 am »

About your Internet situation - can you at least get data over cell (ex EDGE) or land-line dial-up?  I used to be in the boonies with just ~4 KB/sec connectivity for a while last year, but luckily that's enough to download an episode of FTL in about 2 hours, which means I could start listening after only a few minutes pause.  I would leave my laptop running 24/7 and used RSS downloader software like Miro to download podcasts and low-resolution YouTube feeds to keep my sanity.  I also used a local caching Web proxy to make sure I could quickly revisit any page I visited before.  On the days I had HotSpot access, I would run scripts to download all forum threads, Wikipedia articles, etc so I would have them cached ahead of time, and also BitTorrent movies, TV shows, and audio-books.  A cheap laptop and a dial-up connection (and a cheap MP3 player if you're on the go) is all you really need to keep yourself informed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:37:57 am by Alex Libman »

wakingside

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 11:18:32 pm »

As a testament to my internet access this is the first time I have had a chance to check my post.

I will just put it plainly. I live in a tent currently. No fire number, no address, no rent. The farm I work at allows me to live on the property while I work there. I do this along with two other people.

Here are some more specific questions.

If I drive out there say in November, how would I find a place to stay? I am not very particular on living conditions. If anything I prefer more basic, I rather enjoy living in a tent in the summer.

I am kind of concerned about finding work but, I'm sure I could find something. I feel I live just fine right now on 11/hr.

I just want to be free. I have never felt more energized than when I started to hear the principals of true liberty. I want the government out of my life. I don't really have a specific thing I want to focus on yet. This is all so new to me, but I feel like this is what I've been waiting for.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 01:39:40 pm »

As a testament to my internet access this is the first time I have had a chance to check my post.

I will just put it plainly. I live in a tent currently. No fire number, no address, no rent. The farm I work at allows me to live on the property while I work there. I do this along with two other people.

Here are some more specific questions.

If I drive out there say in November, how would I find a place to stay? I am not very particular on living conditions. If anything I prefer more basic, I rather enjoy living in a tent in the summer.

I am kind of concerned about finding work but, I'm sure I could find something. I feel I live just fine right now on 11/hr.

I just want to be free. I have never felt more energized than when I started to hear the principals of true liberty. I want the government out of my life. I don't really have a specific thing I want to focus on yet. This is all so new to me, but I feel like this is what I've been waiting for.

Shouldn't be too difficult.  I had a similar situation on a campground on Lake Winnipesaukee, where I got to stay there for free as long as I helped out (and I got a cabin).  So if you look around you can probably find a good situation. Look at the farms and small private campgrounds to see if anyone has something for you.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

wakingside

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 03:09:19 pm »

Alright, I think I'm pretty much set on making it out there sometime this winter, January most likely. I'm sure I'll figure it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up