Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving: Sept 2010  (Read 4664 times)

TommyPaine

Moving: Sept 2010
« on: July 28, 2010, 09:33:30 pm »

I'm currently job hunting all over the southern portion of New Hampshire, but, should I not receive employment before Labor Day weekend, I'll be quitting my current job at Nestle and moving out to New Hampshire (Manchester at this point) to do the job hunting in person.  I'm done following the path that is more beneficial to others and making moves now (getting rid of stuff & prepping) to follow what I believe in.

As for me I'm 24, male, college edumacated (for whatever that's worth), and currently work in a laboratory in a Chocolate Factory.  Not as awesome as I can make it sound.  I ignored my original urge to come to New Hampshire after college for romantic reasons (I went from Indiana to Wisconsin: I should of known better).

My questions are as follows,

1) Any Random tips or advice on job hunting/living around Manchester?
2) Any people, groups that I can meet up when I arrive?
3) Any Jobs? If it's to the point where I'm arriving unemployed, my standards will be a bit lower than what they are now.
4) Any couches or floors I can lay my head?  Ditto from #3.  Actually...I've never had high standards about where I sleep.  Only prerequisite: Not being bothered.  Everything else is gravy.
5) Oh, and I was toying with the idea with changing the name I introduce myself with, any suggestions?  Dennis James Fisher (work with it)  suggest as you will.

muni

Re: Moving: Sept 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:55:41 pm »

Welcome !

Join facebook and start to friend movers. Soon enough you'll be connected and invited to more events than you can go to.

Here's what Emily, a recent mover, wrote:  “Libertarians in New Hampshire are not depressed like they seem to be everywhere else. Just being around so many people who also value liberty as much as I do is wildly exhilarating. There are so many different projects going on that–like a starving man suddenly introduced to a huge buffet–I must frequently struggle against the temptation to indulge in far too much of this feast."

See you soon in Manchester ..

muni .

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:59:50 pm »

Hmm, so many questions!  Here is my $.02.

1) Any Random tips or advice on job hunting/living around Manchester?
Great location to work within a 20 mile radius.  Largest population of Porcs is in the Manchester area.  It's the largest town/city, so that's where the opportunities are.  If you want to stay in the food business, start with that industry.  Check out Stonyfield Farms and the Budweiser brewing plant.  I think there's also a snack bar manufacture here (Omega Bar, or somesuch?).  Do some research.  This is the easiest transition for you.  If you're willing to do anything, check with the apple orchards (like Mac's Apples), who hire seasonally in the fall.
Yes.  Plenty of those.  Give us a one week advance notice and we'll plug you into social events so you can meet a bunch of people in a short, concentrated period of time.  There are weekly socials in Manchester, Seacoast, and Keene, with monthly meetups in Lebanon and Nashua.
3) Any Jobs? If it's to the point where I'm arriving unemployed, my standards will be a bit lower than what they are now.
The unemployment rate in NH is lower than the national and regional averages, but you may need to settle on something less that you expect in the short term.  Try www.nhjobs.com and Monster.com.  
4) Any couches or floors I can lay my head?  Ditto from #3.  Actually...I've never had high standards about where I sleep.  Only prerequisite: Not being bothered.  Everything else is gravy.
Personally, I feel this is a lot to ask, but there are people who can help you.  Post your arrival date on this forum and on FreeKeene.com and on NHUnderground.com forums.  If you offer a to work or pay in exchange for a roof over your head, you'll find something.
5) Oh, and I was toying with the idea with changing the name I introduce myself with, any suggestions?  Dennis James Fisher (work with it)  suggest as you will.
Haha.  Most of us know each other by forum names before learning real names.  Keep the avatar, but sign off with your first name.
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

BigJoe

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:52:25 am »

DJ Fish   ;D

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:35:56 am »

If you're doing college-level lab work, I guess you have a chemistry or science background?

If so, there is a huge medical/industrial complex around Lebanon, because of Dartmouth U. There is a medical supplies company (Smith, I think; in Keene, I think) that also advertises for folks with bio/med/engineering skills.

Good luck!

TommyPaine

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:44:58 pm »

Wow!  Thanks for the advice.  I'm posting on the Facebook group, but didn't even realize there was a separate movers group till now. 

I have a BA in Biology with a lot of lab experience (original thought was med school, back when I started college).  But I am open to a lot of things, including eventually my own business.

And dj, and Fish, separate have been under consideration though they have both been used.  All my friends back where I'm from call me Fish  and most of the fam calls me dj.  I've traveled so much and been so dislocated that it stuns me for a second when I hear someone yell "Hey, Fish!" Don't know if I want to take that nickname back though.  My younger bro is "Little Fish" (even though he has 60 pounds on me. I do love the irony) and my younger sister in high school also carries the name.  I'm kind of thinking about letting them keep it. 

Eh, I'll decide last second when I go to shake the first Free Stater's hand.

OH, and I'm contemplating vlogging my move.  Can anyone point me towards those who have done so already?  I'd like to give what tips I can from the hurdles I'm sure I'm going to run smack into and would like to 1) avoid documented hurdles 2) document the undocumented. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:48:16 pm by TommyPaine »

ptb

• Voluntarist Freethinker
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 07:13:11 am »

We blogged our move too: libertycaravan.tumblr.com.

- Peter
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:04:14 pm by ptb »

TommyPaine

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 09:59:55 am »

Hello again! I'm less than a week away from New Hampshire now, and have been sporadically posting videos of my move from Wisconsin to Ft Wayne, IN to San Fran, CA to Philadelphia, to Bar Harbor, ME and finally into the freer state.  Check it out @

http://www.youtube.com/user/LibertySaves?feature=mhum

and please critique and dont be afraid to give advice.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 10:58:16 pm »

Taproom Tuesday is a must if you're moving to Manchester.

Don't forget to e-mail Moved@FreeStateProject.org after you move so that you're counted as a mover.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 12:31:30 am »

seacoast still has jobs--until October, at least
porcmanor.com for housing
pledgebank.com/Next1000 and also update your address here to let folks know that you're moving
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

JaqEboy

• the Alternatives Expo
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 12:15:10 pm »

There's a chocolate factory in Manchester: VanOtis chocolates. Recently purchased by a Swiss guy, so he must know chocolate!

http://www.vanotischocolates.com/

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 03:40:33 pm »

There are plenty of Bio/Chem science jobs in the southern NH area.  I work for a small Biotech company in norther MA.  There are lots of companies in the area (Mettler Toledo, Milipore, ect), and large hospitals as well.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

TommyPaine

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 11:34:38 am »

After a couple of days I now have a job, so next step is living space.  Looking for people in the Portsmouth/Durham/Dover/Seacoast area to get into a joint effort on an apartment.  If you are interested hit me up on Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/dennisjamesfisher

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 01:51:46 am »

cool
just by reading your first posts it was obvious that you had the mindset that would make things work out
glad to see you found some work and then can go from there
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 10:43:46 am »

cool
just by reading your first posts it was obvious that you had the mindset that would make things work out
glad to see you found some work and then can go from there

and that is the key.

mindset.

Once you 'decide' to move... YOU will make things happen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up