Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seacoast Activism over the Summer  (Read 1642 times)

Manhattan

Seacoast Activism over the Summer
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:46:10 am »

Hey,

I'm interested in the FSP, but I'm currently a college student in Ohio.  I want to do some activism over the summer in the Seacoast (like Seabrook, Hampton, Portsmouth?) and get a feel for living in NH as an activist.  I haven't been able to get in touch with the local Porc Manor, so I'm curious if renting an apartment for the summer in say, Portsmouth (where there are apartments for rent) would be a practical thing to do.  Are jobs generally easy to come by in the area for people willing to work, especially for people who would easily settle for an activist sort of lifestyle?

Secondly, are there any groups on the Seacoast actually organizing activism and outreach projects, or is it mostly just an area of liberty-loving people who like to keep to themselves?  I really would like a better idea of the scope of activism in the area, just so I wouldn't arrive in the summer and find that nothing is really going on and nobody is willing to get involved.

Thanks in advance,
Manhattan

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Seacoast Activism over the Summer
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:52:54 am »

summer is a 'slower' season for activism.

What specially are you interested in?

politics?
outreach for topical items (guns, drugs, FIJA etc etc etc)

Summer housing can be had on the seacoast.

Manhattan

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:56:55 am »

Anything I can get my hands on, I guess, but mostly outreach and education since it would be a relatively short-term gig, followed by political organization.  I've been trained in different effective activism strategies by YAL and LI at various "boot camps".

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 10:48:34 am »

Anything I can get my hands on, I guess, but mostly outreach and education since it would be a relatively short-term gig, followed by political organization.  I've been trained in different effective activism strategies by YAL and LI at various "boot camps".

I can think of outreach you can do, lots of it.

Did you go to the YAL bootcamp in NH?  It was really fun!

Manhattan

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 11:03:41 am »

No, I'm currently in Ohio, originally from New York.  I am a director of my school's YAL chapter.

BigJoe

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 04:49:43 pm »

No, I'm currently in Ohio, originally from New York.  I am a director of my school's YAL chapter.

where do u go to school?

Manhattan

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:06:36 pm »

Ohio State.
Pages: [1]   Go Up