Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Next 1000 Liberty Caravan  (Read 11904 times)

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
Next 1000 Liberty Caravan
« on: July 03, 2010, 05:21:04 pm »

I have just signed up with the Next 1000 pledge today. I decided to do this sometime ago but wanted to attend PorcFest and meet some people in NH first.
http://www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

I also have been wanting to organize a caravan to move with other people. I also want to promote the pledge to get more numbers there. Right now there are no major events I know of in September, although the Alt Expo might have a fall event starting this year. There is an Octoberfest but I don't know much about it.

I am planning to move in September 2011 and have just created an event on facebook for this. I am calling it the Next 1000 Liberty Caravan, tentatively set for the start date of September 7, 2011. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=135525403138047

Those who wish to join can PM me on either this site or Facebook, or post in this thread or RSVP on facebook.

I want to suggest that a separate subforum be created for caravaners. Other people wanting to coordinate rides to visit or move to NH could also be in that subforum. I think it would make it easier for people to find this sort of thing. I think this subforum might be better split off and reserved for info about the places and housing in New Hampshire. In other words, I would find it useful to separate the two functions currently combined into one section of the forum.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

slayerboy

Re: Next 1000 Liberty Caravan
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:58:29 pm »

I love this idea.  I might sign up for this and push up my "deadline" that I want to move to NH by to then instead of next year's PorcFest.    Depends on how long I can stand staying in NY to save some FRN's to move.

10stateswithnh

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:33:13 pm »

Well, mixed feelings on this post. I'm glad to have a potential taker on the caravan, but I don't want to ask anyone to delay their move to join.
I was kind of hoping more to appeal to the people that don't know when they want to move, and give them a reason to have a more definite plan.

Anyway, it's your decision!

PS Where do you live in NY?
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

slayerboy

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:06:09 pm »

No no, I do like the idea for people who know they want to move put don't know when.  It goes great with the next 1000 stuff.

I live in Rochester, NY.  Home to Xerox, Bausch & Lomb, Kodak, Paychex, the Lilac Festival, the Garbage Plate, failed fast ferries to Toronto, one of the highest crime rates in NY state, and the birthplace of Jello is just outside the metro area.  I love this place, but the idiocy is killing me.

10stateswithnh

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 09:57:08 pm »

I know about all of that stuff, having lived in Rochester 7 years - the politicians had to have some project to make it look like they were doing something worthwhile. The Toronto ferry didn't have enough people from Toronto taking it, it was almost all Rochesterians going over there. So the private company operating it failed, the city took it over, and then the city had to stop it anyway after spending all that money buying the ship. What about the expensive Charlotte Beach renovations including the big port building, or the city building the soccer stadium?

So did they ever build the big underground bus station (somehow safely venting all those gasoline fumes right onto the Main Street sidewalks) in downtown Rochester after demolishing a whole block of historic buildings including a perfectly functioning city-owned parking garage, which forced most of the operating small businesses on Main Street with sidewalk access to close or relocate, and making the transfers take even longer in the downtown? It was still in planning when I left Rochester in 2006. I thought bus stations made sense but for a lot less money they could have built several on vacant land on the edges of downtown and had free shuttles (oops I assumed the city had any money) through downtown to connect them, maybe even looping around the Inner Loop (unless they threw away a bunch of money on taking up that convenient freeway-like road under the philosophy that the Inner Loop dividing the city was what caused all the poverty and crime outside of the loop, as some people were discussing back in 2006). Maybe you aren't a bus rider and don't know about this.

You're right to want to get out of there, as beautiful as it is. I loved certain things about it and had a small emotional joyful moment (the only one from my recent NH trip that wasn't in NH or about freedom) on the flight from Manchester to Detroit when I could recognize enough lake, highway, and river detail that I was 100% sure we were flying over Rochester. Still, freedom is worth a small sacrifice.

So, back to the thread topic. If you are delaying your move to have enough money in the bank, that seems like a good reason. If you just want to move with other people, it seems likely there will be another carpool thing for Porcfest next year. You are close enough to get there in 1 day of driving - I get tired easily but I think even I could get to southern NH from Rochester in one day.

After saying that, if you still want to do the caravan in September, welcome aboard!
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

slayerboy

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 08:33:56 am »

I know about all of that stuff, having lived in Rochester 7 years - the politicians had to have some project to make it look like they were doing something worthwhile. The Toronto ferry didn't have enough people from Toronto taking it, it was almost all Rochesterians going over there. So the private company operating it failed, the city took it over, and then the city had to stop it anyway after spending all that money buying the ship. What about the expensive Charlotte Beach renovations including the big port building, or the city building the soccer stadium?

So did they ever build the big underground bus station (somehow safely venting all those gasoline fumes right onto the Main Street sidewalks) in downtown Rochester after demolishing a whole block of historic buildings including a perfectly functioning city-owned parking garage, which forced most of the operating small businesses on Main Street with sidewalk access to close or relocate, and making the transfers take even longer in the downtown? It was still in planning when I left Rochester in 2006. I thought bus stations made sense but for a lot less money they could have built several on vacant land on the edges of downtown and had free shuttles (oops I assumed the city had any money) through downtown to connect them, maybe even looping around the Inner Loop (unless they threw away a bunch of money on taking up that convenient freeway-like road under the philosophy that the Inner Loop dividing the city was what caused all the poverty and crime outside of the loop, as some people were discussing back in 2006). Maybe you aren't a bus rider and don't know about this.

You're right to want to get out of there, as beautiful as it is. I loved certain things about it and had a small emotional joyful moment (the only one from my recent NH trip that wasn't in NH or about freedom) on the flight from Manchester to Detroit when I could recognize enough lake, highway, and river detail that I was 100% sure we were flying over Rochester. Still, freedom is worth a small sacrifice.

So, back to the thread topic. If you are delaying your move to have enough money in the bank, that seems like a good reason. If you just want to move with other people, it seems likely there will be another carpool thing for Porcfest next year. You are close enough to get there in 1 day of driving - I get tired easily but I think even I could get to southern NH from Rochester in one day.

After saying that, if you still want to do the caravan in September, welcome aboard!

Bus station......um yeah....like everything, it's pretty much fell through.

I made it to PorcFest in about 9 hours with a couple of stops in between.  To get to southern NH it would probably be about a 6 hour drive.  One of the reasons why I wasn't really part of the caravan to this year's PorcFest is because Rochester is too far north to meet up with anyone, they all seemed to avoid the thruway tolls. lol.

We'll see how things go here.  I'm back in my "saving mode" after a few happenings, including Porcfest, the last couple of months.  As long as my truck holds up with no major repairs, I should have it paid off in 2 months and then start saving for the move.  There's a chance I could move by October, but if not by then it won't happen until after winter.  Who knows lol.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 06:25:36 pm »

Good times, brah.  I'd love to help out if folks are interested in doing something like this.  We got some good media attention from the last caravan, and these events are fun stuff, eh.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

10stateswithnh

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 10:29:19 am »

We've got plenty to time to advertise this, but I appreciate any help I can get.

I was thinking of doing some cheap advertising this month just on facebook (along with trying to bump my posts here and on NH underground, unless they take my suggestions and give me a separate forum section for caravans in which case it is unlikely to go down much. I just think it doesn't make much sense to have something that is happening in a year in the same subforum as something that happens frequently and is posted a week before it happens). I would plan to ramp up advertising in September or October, perhaps an ad on FTL and other radio shows, and push hard through December, until the deadline for signing up for the Next 1000 pledge (end of 2010). Next year I would probably not do much, at least in terms of spending money on advertising, until after Porcfest, and then I would hit it hard until the caravan actually happens. Any suggestions, Max or others? What has been done so far to advertise the Next 1000?
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

FreeStyle

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 12:51:56 pm »

aren't we still on the first 1000?   ???

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 12:53:17 pm »

aren't we still on the first 1000?   ???

yup!!!!

FreeStyle

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 01:02:56 pm »

oh good I thought I had missed a couple hundred people moving.  It's good that this next 1000 project is getting attention but I wonder if people will take it seriously when they find out that 1000 people haven't yet moved. 

Good luck with the caravan!

slayerboy

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 01:16:48 pm »

I signed up for the Next 1000, but that was before I went to Porcfest this year.  I am going to try my hardest to be within the first 1000 movers, but timing is everything.

10stateswithnh

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 05:29:58 pm »

You're right about the official count of movers not reaching 1000 yet. I think I just read that the link for people to say they have moved was broken. Also some people have moved and not updated their addresses. Can we do more to encourage those people to report in?

Also it seems likely we will reach 1000 movers by then anyway. The first 1000 was for people to pledge to move, and 1033 made the pledge.

http://freestateproject.org/first1000

Although they were supposed to move by the end of 2008, and only 831 total movers have reported that they moved, however it will be nice to have something for more people to pledge to. Getting the pledgers to actually move is not something I can do.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

BigJoe

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 07:59:55 pm »

thats something that is a bit confusing.  If say for instance I move in the next two months, does that make me part of the "First 1000" even though I didn't sign the first 1,000 pledge?  Why is there a 'next 1000' before the first thousand?    Is there a different count for 'pledge to move within quickly approaching x year'  and 'actually moved to NH after y number of people already had' ?

FreeStyle

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 08:50:01 pm »

plans might be underway for the 13th 1000 soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up