Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Found innocent but still will have to pay  (Read 3310 times)

obamas stash

Found innocent but still will have to pay
« on: June 23, 2010, 11:11:22 am »

I was just found innocent of driving without registration and insurance now their trying  to get me with  constable and court fees. Can't win! >:(

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
Re: Found innocent but still will have to pay
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 12:38:23 pm »

It might be helpful if you say where this happened.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

obamas stash

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 03:07:02 pm »

I live in Pittsburgh PA. I was rear ended on the parkway and my van was totaled. My glove box spilled out all my paper work all over the place and I could not find my insurance. The van was quickly towed away. The police officer said to call my insurance company and have them fax it over to the station. I did and a few months later I get a knock at my door from the constable with a warrant for my arrest. I was not arrested but given a court date. I showed up with all my paper work and the case was dismissed. Now I get a letter telling me I have to pay the constable and court cost.   If I was found innocent in a court of law then why do I still have to pay a fee for the officer's mistake? 

Uncle Walt

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 06:23:55 pm »

A more interesting question (to me) is ... if they had a warrant for your arrest, why weren't you?

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 06:28:05 pm »

Why, I'd reckon you were cited with something. Then you didn't show up for the hearing/trial when it was scheduled (maybe they didn't tell you?). So a bench warrant was issued for your arrest. Someone came to find you. But they just served some new hearing papers on you instead. After which, the charge was dismissed.

But they still want you to pay for making them send someone out to get you.

I'd reckon...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:45:19 pm by B.D. Ross »

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 08:22:17 pm »

I use to live in the Burg.  Do you actually live in the city?  If so, you want to contact your city councilman's office and they should take care of it for you.
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Uncle Walt

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 09:38:13 pm »

Why, I'd reckon you were cited with something. Then you didn't show up for the hearing/trial when it was scheduled (maybe they didn't tell you?). So a bench warrant was issued for your arrest. Someone came to find you. But they just served some new hearing papers on you instead. After which, the charge was dismissed.

But they still want you to pay for making them send someone out to get you.

I'd reckon...

Ahhhhh ... more forgiving than our court system here.

obamas stash

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 06:59:03 pm »

I think I'm just gonna send in the payment along with this letter to the Judge.......
"On June 15, 2010 I was in your court to address two outstanding automobile citations, and you found me not guilty. I was in a car accident that was found to be not my fault, and the police officer who was at the scene did not issue me citations at that time.  Apparently, he wrote me two citations after the fact. I never received them. When the constable came to my door I was surprised because I believed the matter had been resolved. On the next business day, I went to the municipal building and made an appointment for a court date.

I was surprised to find that after being found not guilty in court, I will nonetheless have to pay $170.00 in various fees that appear to be related to the constable.  I think this wrong. As an innocent person, why should I have to pay to be notified of citations that I was not issued at the scene? The court is assuming that I received the citations and ignored them, thus prompting the constable to come to my home. I never received the citations in the mail, and the court cannot show that I did. I wasn’t doing anything wrong. I was the victim of a careless driver who ended up totaling my van. In the end, I will have to pay a substantial amount of money, under duress, to the township for the “privilege” of being notified that there were charges against me. 

Basically, I have to pay these fees because if I don’t you can initiate the use of force against me. I think this is a completely inappropriate use of government power.  I request that you waive these fees."

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 07:57:46 pm »

I would finish your letter with "totaling my van," then add a sentence asking for either some correction or explanation.  This gives the recipient two reasonable options, but makes the "explanation" impossible, forcing them to spend time reconsidering the issue.

There's no guarantee that they will rectify the situation, but you may end up in court on another issue in the future, and that judge might feel obligated to balance karma by tearing up that ticket.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

obamas stash

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 09:41:13 pm »

Sent the judge the letter and today they dropped the fines and sent my check back.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything