Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Motorcycle riders?  (Read 11625 times)

seamas

• FSP Participant
Re: Any Motorcycle riders?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 08:17:29 pm »

Also, this is a great time to buy a used bike due to the economy and how they are toys to many people.  Sadly, my R75/5 had a transmission failure (after 180K or so miles) on the way to PorcFest so for the first time I didn't ride (all the way).  I wholeheartedly second the idea of buying a cheap used bike (mine was $150 plus $850 to get it running).  I'd rather be riding a cheap bike than dreaming about the latest new thing, especially because so many new bikes have a level of performance that is only usable on the track.  I'd plan to spend a chunk of money on riding gear too, and that's something most people underestimate (e.g. people riding $12K sport bikes with sneakers, tank tops and shorts).  Taking an MSF or other rider course is a good idea too.  Another thing that helps is if you are willing to learn to work on your bike because shop rates on even simple maintenance are high. 

60 mpg is nice - what are you riding?

I really would love to get a bike, but maybe after my wedding and paying the house off.  First thing's first then toys. 

My Bike cost me $500.  I use it to drive 60 miles round trip to work and back every day.I get 60 mpg. My annual insurance is $75.  I have no other vehicle (my partner uses a car for work every day during the week).

Rather than being a 'toy,' its an extremely cost-effective mode of transportation....that will help you save money to pay off other bills :-)  And your first bike should not be a big, bad-ass, expernsive toy anyway - it should ALWAYS be an older, smaller model that helps you get 'into riding' before you go big.

I say, get your license, ditch your car, and get your bike NOW....and let's get that Porc Riders Club Logo designed.....

PJM

• choosing to live
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 10:08:17 pm »

I've been riding for over 30 years. NH has always been one of my favorite places to drop my helmet and enjoy the magnificent mountain roads.
Plan on visiting in early August on my 2000 Road King.

creaganlios

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 05:54:46 am »

1985 Honda Nighthawk 450.     There's a vintage motorcycle shop on Rte 10 in Swanzey that does great work and charges low rates...they've ben there 33 years....

And in spite of my expansiive collection on leather,...in this most recent heat I've been one of those tank top - or shirtless - guys :-)

seamas

• FSP Participant
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 06:56:14 pm »

Yea, a good independent shop is a real find compared to the "stealers". 

The heat has been ridiculous and what works for me is stuffing my ancient Aerostich jacket's pockets with ice and wearing a wicking (i.e. not cotton) t-shirt underneath.  I find it cooler than riding in a t-shirt and getting baked by the sun but to each his own...

1985 Honda Nighthawk 450.     There's a vintage motorcycle shop on Rte 10 in Swanzey that does great work and charges low rates...they've ben there 33 years....

And in spite of my expansiive collection on leather,...in this most recent heat I've been one of those tank top - or shirtless - guys :-)

JamesButabi

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 09:12:59 pm »

This thread was initially designed for Porcfest seeing I hauled a couple bikes up.  Even so Im thinking this should be moved to General as a FSP bike club seems like an inevitable occurrence.

creaganlios

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 06:03:28 am »

This thread was initially designed for Porcfest seeing I hauled a couple bikes up.  Even so Im thinking this should be moved to General as a FSP bike club seems like an inevitable occurrence. 

I agree...perhaps we could get a Biker-Porc logo made up and all join in a Poker Run before the end of the season.  Here in the Mondnocks, there is literally at least one charity-driven poker run every weekend from now till late fall....

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 10:42:41 am »

I was at Laconia Bike Week recently.  More bikes in one place than anywhere I've ever seen.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up