Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a local's advice on camping near Porcfest, first-timer.  (Read 2686 times)

maat922

OK, hopefully someone will be able to answer this question, and perhaps it has already been asked a thousand times. but here it is again anyway and please accept my apologies in advance.  I've been out of work for 3 months and money is extremely tight ("live in the dark, just eat rice" tight).  However, since I am lacking a job at the moment (and refusing to participate in "unemployment" or any nanny-state programs), I would like to plop down my tent somewhere and call this my vacation for the year.  I will be riding my motorcycle from Binghamton, NY, and I know nothing of the area of Gilford, NH.  Is there some public or free otherwise "tent-able" land anywhere near the Porcfest '10 venue?  For the next 2 weeks I will literally be collecting bottles and cans and returning them to fund this venture.  My bike will get about 45mpg over the course of the 300 mile trip, thus up and back is going to run me around $40 in anything but BP's finest.  That's 800 bottles and cans I need to procure and return for the deposit, but I am not missing this event.  Ever since I was introduced to the FSP via RidleyReport on youtube, I knew it was something I had to look into.  I seriously can see myself making the move within the next couple of years, but I am an extremely wary person and need to check out the terrain extremely well before considering such an enourmous endeavor.  But first, I'ma need a cheap/free piece of dirt to park a motorcycle and a tent on.  Any ideas with distances to the venue will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance, Matt.

P.S.-  I'm highly skilled with all aspects of food/drink/hospitality, and would gladly volunteer anywhere that skill could be put to good use (however I can't commit until I get the low-down on a place to lay my head  ;)).

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Need a local's advice on camping near Porcfest, first-timer.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:50:06 am »

welcome.

I am willing to bet that someone will let you 'squat' on their campsite for the week.  (maybe go to one of the food vendors and volunteer to help them)  better to be onsite than camp in the woods not far away.

maybe put up a sign that says ' I will promote the FSP on the Web for X hours for a donation?... you could make some money that way'.
If you are up front about it and willing to work people will offer help...

also volunteer to 'work' porcfest and they will give you free admission.

(Porcfest is in lancaster not Gilford this year)

maat922

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 07:20:52 am »

DOH!  I was just realizing that!!  Ok so that's like an hour North of Gilford?  I really kinda wanted to check out the Keene area.  If I were to move to NH, Keene would be the place for me.  It's close enough to NY where I could still visit my family on a regular basis.  I would still like to meet some of those people though.  Maybe I should skip it this year and just take a day trip up sometime to check out Keene and see the sights and put some feelers out.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:03:29 am »

DOH!  I was just realizing that!!  Ok so that's like an hour North of Gilford?  I really kinda wanted to check out the Keene area.  If I were to move to NH, Keene would be the place for me.  It's close enough to NY where I could still visit my family on a regular basis.  I would still like to meet some of those people though.  Maybe I should skip it this year and just take a day trip up sometime to check out Keene and see the sights and put some feelers out.

on the Sunday following Porcfest there is going to be a Keene get together... that would be a good time to meet people in Keene.

So come to Porcfest and then stop by keene on the way back on Sunday.

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:48:51 am »

I have no idea about someone giving you a free place to stay or free food and stuff like that.  If you volunteer, you may be let into the campground for free, otherwise, it costs $25 to attend Porcfest plus the campground has a $5 day fee if you aren't camping there.

Here is the google maps for a route very similar to what you are talking about.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Binghamton,+NY&daddr=10+Roger%27s+Campground+Road,+Lancaster,+NH+03584-3325+(Roger%27s+Campground)+to:Keene,+NH+to:Binghamton,+NY&geocode=Ff9fggIdapV5-ynRt63fcu_aiTF_M-33A5ePBg%3BFayKpgIdnE28-yErHx0IRw6__imDkTy1CQ60TDE8uEwq4hSrfQ%3BFbwdjwIdgx-x-ylzGiGEeHThiTG988LHrkxToA%3B&gl=us&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=43.297855,-73.731505&sspn=3.365785,10.05249&ie=UTF8&z=7
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything