Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESPN available at Rogers motel? (for World Cup)  (Read 7150 times)

Kamekazi Seagull

ESPN available at Rogers motel? (for World Cup)
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:44:14 am »

OK!  Before you lynch me, hear me out!  I don't even own cable at home or watch much TV, but the only reason I ask (and the only reason I got a hotel room) is because I would like to catch a couple of World Cup games while I'm in NH.  Portugal VS Brazil on 6/25 for example...

If its not available, I'll just have to purchase WiFi for the week!

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
Re: ESPN available at Rogers motel? (for World Cup)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 07:53:43 am »

OK!  Before you lynch me, hear me out!  I don't even own cable at home or watch much TV, but the only reason I ask (and the only reason I got a hotel room) is because I would like to catch a couple of World Cup games while I'm in NH.  Portugal VS Brazil on 6/25 for example...

If its not available, I'll just have to purchase WiFi for the week!

I THINK the hotel rooms have cable, but I dont know anyone who turned on their TV during PF09, so I cant say for sure...
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Salvatore

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:46:38 pm »

I hope theres some World Cup viewing going on somewhere!  I can't be the only futbol loving libertarian

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:40:32 pm »

I hope theres some World Cup viewing going on somewhere!  I can't be the only futbol loving libertarian

I always thought it sucked, and called it commie-ball, until a friend made me watch some Champion's League...

:o
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:41:13 pm »

Also, is it just me or are Champion's League commercials better than your average POS Super Bowl commercial?

BigJoe

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:42:07 pm »

although I have noticed that libertarians generally are not sports fans, I would think the biggest problem with the World Cup would be the crazy level of Nationalism going on.

I think its might be more libertarian to follow the individual sports like golf, tennis, and racing.  You cheer for people who you like for whatever reason.  In team sports, people generally root for their hometown team, and its and us vs. them mentality, and you have no control over the players and such. Look at fans in Pittsburgh, they now are forced to either stop supporting their team, or cheer for a QB that has a very questionable history when it comes to his dealings with women.  And then there is the fact that in America, leagues can hold cities hostage and get governments to pony up hundreds of millions of dollars to build stadiums FOR BILLIONAIRES!

BigJoe

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:47:24 pm »

and for the record, I am actually a huge sports fan and watch all kinds of sports leagues including the NFL, the Champions League, NRL, college football, basketball, and lacrosse, NHL, etc.

It may or may not be libertarian of me, but I don't care.

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 02:50:53 pm »

although I have noticed that libertarians generally are not sports fans, I would think the biggest problem with the World Cup would be the crazy level of Nationalism going on.

I think its might be more libertarian to follow the individual sports like golf, tennis, and racing.  You cheer for people who you like for whatever reason.  In team sports, people generally root for their hometown team, and its and us vs. them mentality, and you have no control over the players and such. Look at fans in Pittsburgh, they now are forced to either stop supporting their team, or cheer for a QB that has a very questionable history when it comes to his dealings with women.  And then there is the fact that in America, leagues can hold cities hostage and get governments to pony up hundreds of millions of dollars to build stadiums FOR BILLIONAIRES!

Good points, Joe. From what I understand, the Soccer world is rapidly approaching the parasite level of American sports teams.

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 09:00:07 am »

I THINK the hotel rooms have cable, but I dont know anyone who turned on their TV during PF09, so I cant say for sure...

Per the map posted on another thread...

You can find a high res map here:  http://www.savyon.com/Rogers_campground39.jpg

...only the basic networks look to be available.  Sorry to say, although I did flip on the TV briefly last year, I don't remember if this was it for the channels or not.

Kamekazi Seagull

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 09:54:23 pm »

I sent Roger's an e-mail and they have confirmed that they get the standard Time Warner cable channels (which should include ESPN!)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:23:45 am by Junior Mint »

Kamekazi Seagull

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 10:07:28 pm »

That being said, I would like to extend an invitation to the soccer fans who will be camping out and have no access to TV.  If you would like to watch the following World Cup matches at our motel room...

Friday June 25th, 10:00am – 12:00am Portugal vs Brazil
Saturday June 26th, 02:30pm – 04:30pm  Winner of Group C vs 2nd place of Group D
Sunday June 27th, 10:00am – 12:00am  Winner of Group D vs 2nd place of Group C

Send me your cell number where I can reach you while at FSP, so that I can notify you as to which room we'll be at once we get there.  8)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:38:55 am by Junior Mint »

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 03:14:57 am »

Though I am not a fan of team sports (yes, there are "teams" in Fencing and Women's Gymnastics, but all competition is as individuals), a friend sent me a fun link with the subject line of "Soccer Widow" (Not Safe For Work):

http://i.imgur.com/SeWpN.jpg
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 03:27:12 pm »

I'm not much into watching any kind of sports, but I might come over just to cheer for Brazil, since I lived there for a couple of years.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

Kamekazi Seagull

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 09:31:43 pm »

Cool, I'll be cheering for Portugal!
Pages: [1]   Go Up