Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Red Flags for NH that I would like opinions on...  (Read 15779 times)

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: 2 Red Flags for NH that I would like opinions on...
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 07:14:43 pm »

I am in Maryland. Car registration is a nightmare here. I usually have to visit the local agency 3 times. They find fault with everything. Previous owner's signature in the wrong place. Whatever. It's an incredible experience in frustration.

Try to register a car, they want bill of sale notarized, otherwise it's completely invalid and they will tax it at their insane rates. You just about need a law degree.

Once you enter the local car agency, they put you into this line that goes to the counter where they check that you have all the right documents to register your car or get DL. Once you get the green lite from that, you have to wait another hour or two to actually get it done.

They turn people away left and right. Wait in this first line for 45 minutes, then they tell you F-you and go home. I spent hours there and call it the F-you station.

Plus they have initial inspection and then bi-annual emissions.

I realized they don't want to do business with people, so I just refuse to buy another car, will fix what I have forever.

Plus the rax rate is steep, at least as high as in NH or higher. Then you pay more on top of that for the tags.

Laughing my ass of... so true.

That's why [when I lived in Maryland] I got my car out of state.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 07:48:40 pm »

So how does online car registration work? I've never heard of it anywhere else, maybe it is a recent phenomenon. In any case, the only people doing it would be the ones who don't know or don't have internet access. Or do you have to do it in person the first time when you order new plates?

My town only does renewals on-line.

Michael J Shaffer

• FSP Participant
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 11:58:26 am »

"One thing for "outsiders" to consider is that New Hampshire has a "Live Free of Die" culture.  The laws are "selectively enforced" according to "enforcement priorities"."

While I appreciate NH "Live Free Or Die" culture, I think any law or stature that is on the books and only "selectively enforced" is a threat.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:04:04 pm by Michael J Shaffer »
"Be friendly to liberty, neutral to all else."--A Wise Lady

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 07:46:12 pm »

Depends on how they decide when to selectively enforce it. In general I agree, but if the criteria are objective I think it is less objectionable. For example, every 10th speeding car would less unfair than every speeding car driven by someone of a certain race, if people know to expect that standard they can act to change it.

Also, maybe there are some cases where the selective enforcement enhances freedom. Anybody know of examples of this?
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 08:52:31 pm »

Inspections in NH aren't that bad.  I do believe they have emissions now though,  but they are mostly looking for safety problems and not dumb things like they do in MA and MA.  When I lived in Maine they almost always failed my car the first time I brought it in.  My mother in-law couldn't get her car inspected with the check engine light on, which they didn't bother me for in NH.  On top of which in MA if they fail you they cut your sticker in half so the police and the next inspector knows your car failed.  Car inspections are really annoying and I always have a hard time remembering to bring the car in, I hope we can be the first state in NE to remove the inspection requirement.

As for registration it's usually fairly easy.  Renewals are even easier since it can all usually be done by mail or online.  Also something that is very rare is that NH doesn't require insurance so if you buy a car, as long as you own it free and clear, you can drive it off the lot without having to call some insurance provider and have some documents either faxed, or have to wait days.  However if you get a loan they may require insurance to give you the money.

As for liquor, it's a state monopoly but because of how expensive it is out of state it does have competition.  NH has some of the cheapest hard liquor prices in the western world.  I work for a company in MA mostly composed of non-US citizens.  When their relatives visit from out side the country they always take a shopping trip up to NH for the tax free shopping and extremely cheap liquor to bring back to their home countries.  A 0.75L bottle of name brand gin in MA costs $23.  10 minute drive north to a liquor store in NH and a 1.75L bottle of the exact same stuff sells for $26!  Yes a whole extra liter of gin for 3 more bucks.  The gin I buy (Jenkin's bottled locally in Londonderry NH) costs $7 for 1.75L!

NH certainly isn't the freest state in every respect, but combining all the factors overall it is the freest state in the nation.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 11:01:34 pm »

The laws in NH are not 'selectively enforced'... Enforcement Officers use their judgement as to whether a conviction will occur.
And we don't actually have emissions testing... the test is whether emission systems manufactured into the vehicle are functioning.

rossby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 11:11:14 pm »

Enforcement Officers use their judgement as to whether a conviction will occur.

arrest.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 11:25:13 pm »

Conviction. They decide whether to make an arrest based on their opinion of whether a conviction will be the outcome.
Its like writing a ticket... why bother if the court won't fine the defendent based on the facts?

rossby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 11:52:15 pm »

Conviction. They decide whether to make an arrest based on their opinion of whether a conviction will be the outcome.
Its like writing a ticket... why bother if the court won't fine the defendent based on the facts?

It just doesn't work like that. Police arrest people all the time even when they know the charge will never stand. Getting a conviction isn't the police's job.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 12:15:40 am »

True. But I've talked to law enforcement officers that stated when they doubted a convicition or fine would occur... much less likely to act. And many times our statutes have that wiggle room. When we seperated OHRV and Snowmobiles... for a whole year it was no longer illegal to be DWI on a sled. Simply legislative oversight.

LTVOLT

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2010, 11:26:59 pm »

I think with republican dominance now in the house and senate of NH there could be some real changes in terms of eliminating safety inspections, privatizing some roads and a lot of fiscal things

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2010, 12:18:36 am »

Why so? You do realize that NH had Republican dominance for most of the past several decades?
The Democratic majority is something rather recent... and only accomplished a few items.

creaganlios

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 08:57:18 am »

I think with republican dominance now in the house and senate of NH there could be some real changes in terms of eliminating safety inspections, privatizing some roads

Changes to inspections are *possible* (ridiculous rules about bumper-to-ground height, frequency of inspections, rust, and failing inspections for devices that are not required in the first place, like extra lights).

Privatiziation of roads is not gonna happen.  Period.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 11:04:08 am »

But the changes to inspection were equally possible during the last Legislature... of course someone has to enter the legislation.
Toll roads, maybe?

getoutofCA

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2010, 10:22:16 am »

The laws in NH are not 'selectively enforced'... Enforcement Officers use their judgement as to whether a conviction will occur.
And we don't actually have emissions testing... the test is whether emission systems manufactured into the vehicle are functioning.

Okay, I've seen several different references to annual testing requirements. Can someone possibly link me to the annual inspection requirements?

I'm trying to get away from California's SMOG requirements, which are horribly strict on emissions (visual/tailpipe sniffer + dyno on 2WD cars), but being able to pass both my vehicles (which are modified) is important to my ability to make the move.

Thanks in advance  :o
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up