Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Red Flags for NH that I would like opinions on...  (Read 15780 times)

freedomroad

Re: 2 Red Flags for NH that I would like opinions on...
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 10:09:41 am »

I was just having a hard time believing that this was liberty-central USA with these laws in existence. 

There doesn't seem to be any really free place in the entire world.  NH seems to be the best place to work towards such a place, though.  It's terrible that unemployment is so high in MI.  I pretty familiar with how widespread welfare and the welfare mentality if in the MI/PA/OH area.  The rural places in that area seem to have as much welfare mentality as the urban places in most of the nation.  Needless to say, poverty, unemployment welfare and especially crime are smaller problems in NH than most of the nation.  Even in most (all?) of the poorest, most depressed towns in NH, the crime rate is lower than the national average.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 03:03:11 pm »

Yes the Auto inspection requirement is not great, but I think it's more of a Northeast thing. For instance most of the states that require auto inspections are in the Northeast including all 6 New England states. In some ways it seems that the politicians in Concord copied the requirements of Mass and New York for some strange reason. The process is pretty simple you register the vehicle, then take it a shop of your choice who inspects it and either approves it or fails it. If it fails you can repair it yourself, take it to another shop and are allowed a re inspection for free within the 60 day period.  There has been attempts to reduce the inspection requirement to a bi yearly requirement. Yes all vehicles are required to get inspected even government bureaucrat vehicles. 

That sounds only slightly worse than inspections in Utah. Here the price for inspection is set at $17, and I got the inspection done before registering the car, I don't know how long you have to get re-inspected, but cars only need the safety inspection every other year until they are 6 years old, after that every year. 4 of the most densely populated counties also have emissions tests (high surrounding mountains mean a lot of smog in those places). On the other hand when I lived in Colorado there was no safety inspection. I used to own a car in New York State but I don't remember the details of their inspections. I did know people who knew someone that could just get them a sticker without getting the inspection done.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 10:11:31 pm »

Thank you all for your input.  I agree that there are many more "serious" issues as opposed the somewhat trivial car inspections and liquor laws.  That being said, those topics irritate me greatly, so I wanted to kick the tires about it.  The car inspection sounds relatively cheap and the liquor laws sound mostly tolerable. 

One thing for "outsiders" to consider is that New Hampshire has a "Live Free of Die" culture.  The laws are "selectively enforced" according to "enforcement priorities".   I have a problematic '97 Civic w/ >150K miles on it.  When I lived in MA I had a guy who would pass it for me.  But, it was a pain for him because the State pretended to monitor all car inspections over web cams.  In NH I have a guy who the State pretty much leaves the hell alone.  Let me be clear here, I'm not talking about bribery.  I always pay what everyone else does and my car is safe.  It's a matter of making friends with people and vague verbiage in the laws - like oil leaks needing to be fixed if the inspector can smell oil while the car is running.

New Hampshire culture is all about leaving people alone if they're not hurting others.  Or, risking serious harm to others through negligence.  Even if the text of laws gives certain New Hampshirites power over their neighbors I've found that they rarely, if ever, will exercise it.

As for liquor laws...  they are the best I've seen outside of Nevada.  Florida and many other states have the same artificial monopoly problem Thom highlighted.  Mass has super high taxes and weird closing/closing hour requirements.   They're also total pricks about licenses.  So, there's always little to no competition.  A Mass liquor license w/ no strikes on it can go for >$500K.  So, all the stores/bars are trying to cover payments on huge business loans related to acquiring their license every month.  A packie of Becks can cost you ~$20 in Boston and many of the nicer spirits can go for over $100 a bottle.  Plus, there's a recycling deposit of 10 cents(?) a bottle.  The prices are very low here, in New Hampshire.  I like to drink Русский Стандарт.  I get it for ~$12-$13 for a 750ml. in the State stores.

I don't mean to totally slam MA.  They have a tax, tax, tax, culture.  But, they also pretty much leave people alone if it's not related to $$.  I've been drinking in MA bars >3 hours after "closing".  I drive ~25K miles a year.  I'm not the best at noticing speed limit signs and have a bit of a lead foot.  But, I've never been stopped by a police officer in New England (in 5+ years).  In Florida, I'd get pulled over at least once a month...  you know, that whole Southern plantation owner mentality thing.  They'd often call me "boy" (Buh-wah-oy) and question my manhood suggesting that my motorcycle's engine was clearly too big for me.   Ahhh... closeted Florida cops with Daddy issues - gotta love them.  (Alachua county deputy J.J. Parish, shouts out to you and the other deputy you called because you ran out of tickets in your ticket book.  Your daddy really did love you, even if he had to leave. *hugs*).

criff10

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 11:17:46 am »

anon37268573,

Just on this post alone...it is now a slam dunk for me.  I am moving--we were 95% sure of it before, but I am even more convinced now. 

Thank you, that was great and what I was looking to hear. 

Beautiful.  I hope it is as you say it is. 

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 03:50:29 pm »

Don't move to NH to be free...
move to NH to work your ass off to help move at least one place slightly more toward freedom.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 02:35:14 am »

Don't move to NH to be free...
move to NH to work your ass off to help move at least one place slightly more toward freedom.

This.

As for liquor licensing, Keith Murphy, proprietor of Murphy's Tap Room in Manchester, explained in a TV interview that he was amazed at how easy and cheap the process was in NH, compared to Maryland. IIRC, getting a license in Maryland took him months, and about $100,00 in fees, plus huge bureaucratic headache and resistance (and while he didn't say it, I suspect there were hints that greasing palms would help).

Then he moved to NH, and his expenses were a few hundred, and the whole process was completed in weeks, with the bureaucrats actually helping him comply with regulations.

Every state has liquor laws that suck. NH is better than many, worse than some. For most folks, the permitted hours of operation are the only big stumbling block.

etc

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 02:04:12 am »

I am in Maryland. Car registration is a nightmare here. I usually have to visit the local agency 3 times. They find fault with everything. Previous owner's signature in the wrong place. Whatever. It's an incredible experience in frustration.

Try to register a car, they want bill of sale notarized, otherwise it's completely invalid and they will tax it at their insane rates. You just about need a law degree.

Once you enter the local car agency, they put you into this line that goes to the counter where they check that you have all the right documents to register your car or get DL. Once you get the green lite from that, you have to wait another hour or two to actually get it done.

They turn people away left and right. Wait in this first line for 45 minutes, then they tell you F-you and go home. I spent hours there and call it the F-you station.

Plus they have initial inspection and then bi-annual emissions.

I realized they don't want to do business with people, so I just refuse to buy another car, will fix what I have forever.

Plus the rax rate is steep, at least as high as in NH or higher. Then you pay more on top of that for the tags.

NH cannot possibly be as bad as here.

New Hampshire Charter: Considering with ourselves the holy will of God and our own necessity, that we should not live without wholesome laws and civil government among us, of which we are altogether destitute, do, in the name of Christ and in the sight of God, combine ourselves together to erect and set up among us such governments as shall be, to our best discerning, agreeable to the will of God.

freedomroad

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 12:29:33 pm »

NH sounds like a breeze compared to that.  When I go to the places in NH to register, I'm usually first or second in line.

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 01:22:53 pm »

NH sounds like a breeze compared to that.  When I go to the places in NH to register, I'm usually first or second in line.

On Fridays, Gov. Lynch goes to the Concord DMV and waits on people wanting to register their cars to get feedback on the provided services.  After that, he has largebreastedwomenservebeerinthongsandhandsoutfreecigarstochildrensingingshowtunesinhissweettenorvoice. (not really)
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 04:01:55 pm »

Why would you register your car in Concord rather than your own town/city hall? Or even on-line?

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 08:18:17 pm »

I was just having a hard time believing that this was liberty-central USA with these laws in existence.  However, I just woke up in MIchigan with our 15% unemployment rate, massive welfare system, and high taxes....I can live with a car inspection. 

Michigan v. New Hampshire? No comparison.

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 08:03:58 am »

Why would you register your car in Concord rather than your own town/city hall? Or even on-line?

JEM, you are truly outrageous.
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson

10stateswithnh

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 09:34:46 am »

I think he meant people in Concord.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 05:17:23 pm »

Better understood. But Concord has on-line registration.

10stateswithnh

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 06:27:47 pm »

So how does online car registration work? I've never heard of it anywhere else, maybe it is a recent phenomenon. In any case, the only people doing it would be the ones who don't know or don't have internet access. Or do you have to do it in person the first time when you order new plates?
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up