Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Red Flags for NH that I would like opinions on...  (Read 15781 times)

criff10

2 Red Flags for NH that I would like opinions on...
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:18:47 pm »

The first is car inspections.  Can you provide me with the process and your thoughts on this.  I am curious about the cost, how it is administered, does it apply to all cars (or are newer cars exempt, etc...).  For all of NH's good points, this is a flaw that I am having a hard time dealing with. 

And 2nd, the liquor/beer/wine situation?  Wine is only sold in state run stores?  Is this correct...how about beer/liquour.  It sounds much like canada and their "beer stores".  I suppose it is much like other states taxing the heck out of these items...NH just sells them and keeps the $$$.  However, this is not very liberty-like.  Your thoughts on it are appreciated. 

djbridgeland

• moved October 2008, Second 1000
Re: 2 Red Flags for NH that I would like opinions on...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 12:44:48 pm »

Yes the Auto inspection requirement is not great, but I think it's more of a Northeast thing. For instance most of the states that require auto inspections are in the Northeast including all 6 New England states. In some ways it seems that the politicians in Concord copied the requirements of Mass and New York for some strange reason. The process is pretty simple you register the vehicle, then take it a shop of your choice who inspects it and either approves it or fails it. If it fails you can repair it yourself, take it to another shop and are allowed a re inspection for free within the 60 day period.  There has been attempts to reduce the inspection requirement to a bi yearly requirement. Yes all vehicles are required to get inspected even government bureaucrat vehicles. 

As far as state liquor stores only hard liquor is state controlled. You find and buy beer and wine at any grocery, convenience or drug store that sells them.   There has been talk about allowing some private stores to sell hard liquor in an attempt to save the state money.

WendellBerry

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 01:01:21 pm »

As far as state liquor stores only hard liquor is state controlled. You find and buy beer and wine at any grocery, convenience or drug store that sells them

The state stores also have wine (red, white & champagne) just not cold...

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:09:12 pm »

The effective tax rate on liquor in NH is zero, which is why people from surrounding states come to NH to buy it. So even the state control system isn't that liberty-unfriendly.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 03:06:28 pm »

The first is car inspections.  Can you provide me with the process and your thoughts on this.  I am curious about the cost, how it is administered, does it apply to all cars (or are newer cars exempt, etc...).  For all of NH's good points, this is a flaw that I am having a hard time dealing with. 

It costs $10 to $50 dollars depending on where you go.  The time?  Maybe 30 minutes to a few hours depending on how you go about the process.  Of course, this is assuming that your auto is in what the government considers good shape.  NH's system is worse than someone of the states and better than others.  It tends to be a little better than some of the near-by states.

And 2nd, the liquor/beer/wine situation?

It is very good.  There are local beers made in NH/ME/VT.  They tend to be quite good.  Liquor costs less in NH than anywhere else in the US.  Wine tends to be less expensive than many states, but certainly not all states.  NH liquor stores tend to offer more rebates than most other places too, thus making liquor even cheaper for those that use rebates.  It is common to find rum/whiskey/gin/vodka and so on for under $10 for a 1.75 ml bottle.  Sometimes under $5.

Wine is only sold in state run stores?

It is sold just about anywhere: The corner store, the liquor store, wal-mart, supermarkets, gas stations and so on.

Is this correct...how about beer/liquour.

Beer is sold just about everywhere like wine.

Your thoughts on it are appreciated.

My thoughts are simply this: The NH system for alcohol is highly flawed and could use a lot of work but it also the best system in the world that I've ever heard of.

creaganlios

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 04:17:38 pm »

...So even the state control system isn't that liberty-unfriendly.

The aspect of being a "Control State" that is most onerous is not so much the inability of citizen-consumers to purchase alcohol, but in the state-granted monopoly to 6 Distributers from whom all bars and restaurants must purchase their beer, as well as the administrative rule that requires all bars to earn 50% or more of their sales from food requiring utensils to be eaten.

BigJoe

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:17:34 pm »

rule that requires all bars to earn 50% or more of their sales from food requiring utensils to be eaten.

holy crap

and I am also struggling to think of any food that REQUIRES utensils

creaganlios

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 05:42:22 pm »

holy crap ... and I am also struggling to think of any food that REQUIRES utensils

Believe it or not, Hamburgers and pizza doesnt count....unless you claim to serve it so big full of gravy that it requires utensils.  Sadly, many bars get around this simply by keying in "beer" as if it was "food" in the register.  It's a big game that reflects very poorly on state government.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 06:04:06 pm »

Both of these things are easy to see at a distance.
More concerning to me are the real battles going on as we speak that are harder to see unless you're involved in the fight:
* local control of education -- we have (or had) very little State Educrat bureaucracy, but "they" are trying to change that, and damn near succeeding
* taxes -- thank God Gov. Lynch is opposed to any broadbased sales or income tax, or we'd already have one
* state-run gambling -- see above

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a love-fest -- Gov. Lynch is the reason we don't have medical MJ in this state.
I'm just saying, the needless over-registration of cars is trivially small compared to the massive growth of the State if they ever manage to implement that sweet sales or income tax they are presently drooling over

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 06:30:10 pm »

In fairness, I was in NH last week. The cheapest prices on liquor that I've ever seen. 'Course, they could probably be lower.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 06:37:14 pm »

The downsides and advantages of the state controlled alcohol system have been covered, but one thing hasn't been mentioned yet: if you want to pick up beer or wine, you better get it done before 11:45 p.m.

That might not mean much to most folks, but for those of us doing shift work, it's a PITA. There is no strong argument for it, only the idea that anyone buying alcohol that late must already be drunk and should be at home in bed. Sorry, the world no longer revolves around the idea of working 9-5.

BigJoe

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 06:50:02 pm »

can you buy liquor (or any alcohol) on Sundays in NH?   Also, what time do bars have to close?

freedomroad

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 11:57:53 pm »

rule that requires all bars to earn 50% or more of their sales from food requiring utensils to be eaten.

holy crap

and I am also struggling to think of any food that REQUIRES utensils

At least two of the bars in Keene don't even really sell food.  One of them sells just nuts, chips and pretzels in bags.  There are likely other similar bars in Keene but I rarely drink at a bar except for special events.

freedomroad

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 12:05:01 am »

can you buy liquor (or any alcohol) on Sundays in NH?   Also, what time do bars have to close?

Of course you can.  I think the local liquor store is open from 9:00 A.M. until 6:00 P.M. on Sunday.  Sorry of the liquor stores are open until 9:00 P.M. on Sunday.  Portsmouth is open from 8:00 A.M until 9:00 P.M. for example.
http://www.nh.gov/liquor/sunday_hours.shtml

Bars close from 11:00 P.M. until 1:00 A.M. or so.  Bars also have the option of closing the doors and staying open much longer, it seems.

Like I said, NH has horrible alcohol laws and yet it has the best system in the world, as far as I know.

criff10

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 10:03:51 am »

Thank you all for your input.  I agree that there are many more "serious" issues as opposed the somewhat trivial car inspections and liquor laws.  That being said, those topics irritate me greatly, so I wanted to kick the tires about it.  The car inspection sounds relatively cheap and the liquor laws sound mostly tolerable. 

I was just having a hard time believing that this was liberty-central USA with these laws in existence.  However, I just woke up in MIchigan with our 15% unemployment rate, massive welfare system, and high taxes....I can live with a car inspection. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up