Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anti-Freedom Kelly Ayotte Doesn't Think You Can Handle Gaming- Her Letter Gallus  (Read 7958 times)

anon37268573

• First1000

Dear Senator Gallus:

Tomorrow, you will be voting on HB 2, including an amendment that would enable the expansion of legalized gambling in New Hampshire, in the form of video gambling. I strongly urge you to preserve our quality of life and protect our status as the safest state in the nation by opposing this legislative effort.

The introduction of video gambling to New Hampshire brings with it social costs that far outweigh the potential financial benefits. While many can gamble responsibly, there is a segment of the population that cannot or do not, and the consequences affect all of us. It is well documented that when you bring video gambling to an area, the numbers of problem gamblers increases in that area. Studies show that the financial strain that results from problem or pathological gambling unfortunately leads to increased rates of bankruptcy, divorce, child abuse, and domestic violence. It also leads to an increase in crime. We have seen examples in NH and throughout the country of crimes driven by gambling debts, including crimes like stealing a parent’s social security checks, stealing an elderly couple’s checkbook and forging checks, stealing millions of dollars from investors, and even murder—all to support their gambling habits. The latest example is the Craigslist killer who investigators believe used the money he obtained from his crimes to feed a gambling habit. However, its not just about the sensational crimes, there is also the incredible strain placed on the families of problem gamblers.

We are at a critical juncture. What is at stake is not just about the short term financial difficulties we are experiencing as a state, but I hope that you will look at the long term impact on our quality of life in New Hampshire. The lure of potential revenue must be weighed against the costs to our communities and our citizens. As the State’s chief law enforcement officer, I feel strongly that this is the wrong direction for our State.

Sincerely, Kelly A. Ayotte
KAA/p Attorney General

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator

Is the only requirement to be the AG to make absurd and outlandish claims?

BigJoe

don't know much about this bill, but it sounds like a lose-lose .   Video gambling should certainly be legal, but by the sound of the letter (i.e. "potential financial benefits"  "short term financial difficulties we are experiencing as a state"  "The lure of potential revenue " )  this sounds like a largely government run operation, which doesn't sound too appealing either.

But on another note, this lady's 'argument' is terrible.  What does she think is currently preventing anyone in NH from gambling away their money online?  Also the entire notion of some people can't handle gambling therefore it should be illegal is also ridiculous.  Investing in the stock market needs to be made illegal, same with real estate, because that too can lead to bankruptcy.  Adultery has been known to lead to divorce, that should be made illegal.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:52:41 pm by BigJoe »

freedomroad

I don't know but she isn't the Attorney General.

I think KAA/p Attorney General means that she was once an Attorney General and for the purpose of this letter, that was the most important job she has ever done.  Anyway, she is the worst Republican in NH running for for the GOP nomination for US Senate.  But if she won, it would get her out of the state, so I'm not sure if her winning would be a bad thing.

anon37268573

• First1000

But on another note, this lady's 'argument' is terrible.

I couldn't believe how bad it was.  I was actually taken aback.  She writes like a 5 year old and her logic seems to be at the same level.  I can't image her representing me in the Senate.  I wouldn't hire her as a secretary after seeing a letter like that.

Unfortunately, she's in such a powerful position that the Senators' votes will likely be effected by her letter.

Recently, I read a rather brilliant legal argument that the United Nations core human right of Freedom of Thought included the right to think thought patterns created by ingesting both natural and synthetic substances.   It was a stark contrast to this letter.  But, it was written by a California doctor (not a DA) whom was testifying before a panel attempting to increase the Federal Sentencing Guidelines penalty recommendations for the possession of MDMA.  The argument seems very obvious upon reading it.  But, I never thought to frame the debate in terms of one's thought being restricted rather than a substance being restricted or regulated.  Very few people, I think, believe that an adult human being's private thoughts should be controlled or restricted by the Government.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage

I can't believe I'm saying this, but: Vote Hodes in November. At least he manages to be a statist without being a complete jackass about it.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

rossby

• Global Moderator

I don't know but she isn't the Attorney General.

Oh yeah...

I think KAA/p Attorney General means that she was once an Attorney General and for the purpose of this letter, that was the most important job she has ever done.  Anyway, she is the worst Republican in NH running for for the GOP nomination for US Senate.

She wrote she is the Attorney General, but she is, in fact, not? Where I'm from, we call that a lie.

But if she won, it would get her out of the state, so I'm not sure if her winning would be a bad thing.

Sending her to the swamp on New Hampshire's behalf isn't really an ideal solution...

freedomroad

She wrote she is the Attorney General, but she is, in fact, not? Where I'm from, we call that a lie.

It is how many politicians write are.  They are called Senator, Congressman or Mayor for life if they just serve one term.  It is a national thing.

freedomroad

I can't believe I'm saying this, but: Vote Hodes in November. At least he manages to be a statist without being a complete jackass about it.

I'm gonna look at the people running and vote for least bad person.  It may be a LP, a GOP, a D or someone else.

rossby

• Global Moderator

It is how many politicians write are.  They are called Senator, Congressman or Mayor for life if they just serve one term.  It is a national thing.

Well, not really national. Of course, these are matters of etiquette. It's "acceptable" for me to honor you with the use of a formal title. You like like an ass if you do it to yourself. ... Case in point, refer to OP.

Lance

• Voluntaryist
    • website

rossby

• Global Moderator

The letter appears to be a year old. 

http://blogs.eagletribune.com/staff/2009/06/03/letter-from-ag-ayotte-to-nh-senators-say-no-to-slots/

Well that makes a lot more sense.

Though, I was just up at the state house last week and a few representatives were actively questioning people about their thoughts on increasing gambling. Probably something on the calendar... still.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage

I'm gonna look at the people running and vote for least bad person.  It may be a LP, a GOP, a D or someone else.

Ayotte's going to win the GOP nod unfortunately; the others don't seem to stand a chance in the polls. Is the LP running anyone?
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

rossby

• Global Moderator

Ayotte's going to win the GOP nod unfortunately; the others don't seem to stand a chance in the polls. Is the LP running anyone?

Hurts to say it... but does it matter? :-\
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:39:27 am by B.D. Ross »

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver

Hurts to say it... but does it matter? :-\

http://lpnh.org/candidates

Wouldn't a libertarian party that is doing well be a good recruitment tool for the FSP?

I've heard that if we can regain ballot access this year, we may be in the running for getting the national LP convention here.
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up