Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello From Portsmouth, New Hampshire - A Blog  (Read 15493 times)

MK

• AKA Markus
Re: Hello From Portsmouth, New Hampshire - A Blog
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 09:03:32 am »

Last Wednesday night, in a modern day dimly lit Pizza Joint, 30+ liberty lovers sat at one long set of tables for 3+ hours, eating pie slices and enjoying adult beverages until they were kicked out of the place ( ;) closing time) sociolizing, networking, debating any and everything.  Fun stuph.

Every Wednesday 7:30 PM
La Festa Pizza
312 Central St.
Dover, New Hampshire (aka the Free State)

I met a guy who had taken the red eye from Californ yi eh.  He's looking at moving here with his wife (late 20's).  When you have someone who's traveled more than

3000+ miles to get information and meet the people in NH, you want to be as helpful as possible and put your best foot forward. 

I told him, the greatest opportunities are in Manchester because it is the biggest city, the next easiest areas to settle would be north (Concord) and south (Nashua).  But

then of course you have so many nice surrounding towns from there as well.  The of course there's Keene as well as the Seacoast (Portsmouth/Durham/Dover n

surrounding) the most difficult due to the high cost of living.  And that there are Free Staters, living all over the state, doing their thing and that he would have no

problem meeting as many people as he wants via the community.

Bottomline, I think he's moving.
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

KyleS

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 01:59:49 pm »

My fiancee and I are visiting next month, and I have really enjoyed reading your posts about Portsmouth. Keep up the good work!

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 04:00:03 pm »

My fiancee and I are visiting next month, and I have really enjoyed reading your posts about Portsmouth. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

Keep in mind the Portsmouths' neighboring towns are really nice as well.  For example, Greenland, Stratham, Newington, Newfields, Newmarket, Durham and Dover are all really nice places to live as well.
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 10:48:28 pm »

Hello from Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

It's practically mid January and I can't believe I was driving around with my window rolled down today and arm resting on the open window.  The sun really warmed things up today and with a short sleeve t-shirt on and fleece jacket, I was quite comfortable with the window down. 

I was down by the river the other day (Piscataqua) and couldn't help but notice another Super Freighter (cargo ship) from South America unloading Salt (off Market Street, next to the Tugboats).  When I asked last time, they said the shiip was from Peru.  And I noticed they were still unloading the salt long after dark had set in.

Frankly speaking, seeing one of these massive ships, right off Downtown Portsmouth, always surprises me.  In Portsmouth, NH?  It's true and there's no doubt the ease of doing business has something  to do with them unloading on the NH side of the river and not the Maine ("Got Big Government?)" side.  Which reminds, did you know there's NO Business License required to open shop in Portsmouth?

This clip is from the City of Portmouth's website (my bold ):
--------

City Clerk Issues the following Licenses and Permits

Business License

The City of Portsmouth does not require a business license. However, the State of New Hampshire issues business licenses.
Applications may be obtained from the New Hampshire Secretary of State at 603-271-3242 or via the web at www.state.nh.us/sos
-----

This really surprised me the first time I read it.  "Does not require a business license."  Does anyone else know of town/city that states/does this?  If so, I"d love to hear about it.  I've never seen it before but I wonder about the small town/city of Grafton, NH, (I think this could be the freest town/city in America).

But the City of Portsmouth does require a business licence/application/permit for these select areas of business (again from the City of Portsmouth website)
----

Licenses and Permits 

amusement games application
amusement games ordinance
bowling billiards application
bowling billiards ordinance
business license

dog license application
dog license ordinance
employment agencies
events
mobile home parks application
mobile home parks ordinance
parades
petroleum products application
petroleum products ordinance
sidewalk obstruction information
pawnbrokers
pole licenses
tag days
taxi licenses
vendor's license
(hawkers and peddlers license) 

---------

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 10:53:10 pm »

When you drive into downtown Portsmouth via Market Street (exit 7 off of US Interstate 95), you end up going right past several docks, one them being where they offload Salt from South America.  Last week I was surprised to see 7 trucks, in line, parked, waiting, while a number of others were parked inside the gate, getting loaded with Salt (I guess the price is right).    Not growing up in a "port town," the size of these super freighters always amazes me.   And having been over most of NH (save the extreme northern edges), it doesn't seem like these floating "skyscrapers" would be in little ol' Portsmouth, New Hampshire, but there they are, right smack on the edge of downtown.  It's an awesome sight.

And just past the Salt docks, are the working Tug Boats.  And in front of the the Tug Boats are at least 4 different restaurant water front decks,  (to see a the waterfront deck view from the Oar House Restaurant, with Tugboats in the backdrop, click here http://www.portsmouthnh.com/oarhouse/the_deck.html ) almost side by side, openly seasonally.  IMO, this is the best place to enjoy an adult beverage in season (warmer weather).   

Another cool thing about Portsmouth is all the old historic homes.   On the other side of downtown, at 43 Middle Street, right off Congress Street (the main drag of downtown Portsmouth), is the John Paul Jones house.

From Website: ***

HIGHLIGHTS 

House:
1758 colonial, gambrel roof, historic garden

Collections:
furniture, clothing, guns, china, glassware, local portraits, wedding gowns, toys, samplers, canes, documents

Open:
June 1st to mid-October 10am-4pm, Sun 12-4pm

Admission:
$5/adults, $2.50/children 6-14 years. Call or write for group tours.***

I haven't been in yet but the exterior looks to be in great shape.  It really stands out, because as I have mentioned before, the entire downtown was mandated to be rebuilt in brick only after a big fire in 1802:

From the Oar House Restaurant Website:

The Oar House is located in Portsmouth's Olde Harbour area, which in the late 1700s and early 1800s was a thriving seaport. In December, 1802, 120 buildings burned in Portsmouth's most disastrous fire, including the wooden mercantile structures that occupied the restaurant site. The citizens of Portsmouth rebuilt almost immediately, in the early months of 1803, using brick to eliminate future fire hazards. The buildings on Ceres Street, including the one now occupied by the Oar House, were constructed at this time.

(here's another interesting tidbit I found on their website)

Because of Portsmouth's protected and deep harbor, the city was the scene of many shipbuilding enterprises. This activity reached a peak between 1840 and 1860 when 169 vessels were built. Of this number, 54 were barks, brigs or schooners, and 115 were three-masted sailing ships, including 28 clipper ships. The artwork hanging throughout the restaurant outlines the history of some of the more prominent ships, and the models are all of Portsmouth-built vessels.

To read more, please see their website at http://www.portsmouthnh.com/oarhouse/history.html

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 10:31:39 pm »

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

Something about that word "warning," I've never liked seeing it.   But the answer is yes, I am sure I would like to post on my blog even though it's been more than 120 days.

Wow how time flies.  In late December, I got a great rental deal in Stratham so I moved there (about 15 min south of Portsmouth).  It's a great take off location if you work all over the Seacoast and I do but it's like a fish bowl living there regarding law enforcement with 3 main roads leading into a circle and one them the route (33) you take in order to NOT pay the government toll (.75) so there's always good traffic flow.   Anyway, these boys there are a super aggressive so watch out if you travel through there.

But I started coming over to Manchester one day a week and I realized more and more that I had to move back to Manch because that's where the action is for me now.  And so I moved back a week ago and I am having the time of my life getting to know the most peaceful group of people I've ever encountered in my 48 states of travel. 

I know I wrote many very postive things about Portsmouth in order to convince people to move to Portsmouth and although all are true. I  must say at this point I would not recommend to anyone that they should move to Portsmouth because there's really nothing going on there liberty wise at this time.  With so few there it makes tough the good people there do anything.

I just think there's been one  too (many?)travel shows that say Portsmouth is the place to visit.....so it's just crawling with tourists from alll over, All these people walking around who will likely never be back who are just gawking, shopping and eating..  You can't get to know anyone more than minute in an enviroment like that.  But I still work in Portsmouth a day or two a week, but I'm on waterfront, it's amazing scenery and no people.

So now, I would recommend Manchester (or in striiking distance of it, as a starting point) if you are 100% unfamiliar with NH or uncertain of just where you want to live (unless you allready know Keene is your only choice or Grafton or ?:)!) because I've found NH to be fantastically diverse, each area, super unique and as Manchester is the most central taking off point, it's the best place to base yourself (in the beginning) because the only way you're really going to know where you want to be, is too see it for yourself, firsthand..  And with Manchester being the largest population center, it also dictates the easiest place to find housing and work and oh, almost forgot...parites! :)

And another HUGE reason is that the community that has developed out of the extreme Liberty Lovers who have moved here is unlike any other at this time in history but similar to what a community would have been llike before 1776.  And I  have never been more interested in meeting other extremely peaceful people like myself.

And so the quickest way to "get it" (understand just what this community is truly like), is to meet the most people, the fastest and as Manchester and surrounding has the largest population of FSPers and Friends, it's the simpliest place to do that.

The individuals who connect via this movemnt are largely the most peaceful people on this planet but alot of us have basically been ALONE "in the room" all our life when it comes to the IDEAS that we choose to live  by and pronounce.

300 million plus people in the US right now.. and out of that lot are 800+ who are so Passionate about Liberty that they have moved their Lives and families to make a Peaceful stand in pursuit of more Freedom.

But this community is over a 1000+ easy with alll the "natural free staters" (people allready living here who have found this movement).

So there you have it.  One thousand people who agree we need more Liberty now so that means YOU are NOT ALONE anymore (after you get here of course).

All the best to you no matter where you decide to move because ANY where in NH is ALL GOOD!  :)

- - - - - - - - - -

Be the Change you wish you to see in the World.

Gandi

antioliarchy

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 11:47:37 am »

Hello , my name is steve i am new to this group . I am born in the usa but i have lived in prague and berlin for almost 7 years . I was wondering if there is an alternative community in this part of new hampshire or any other part ? What i mean by alternative is heavy metal , gothic or punk rock . Alternative to the mainstream . If i ever decide to move back to the states within a year this would be the only place .  ;) I hope some people here can get in touch with me because i have to make a big decision . thanks ,  :) :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up