Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions and Salutations from Washington State  (Read 33723 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: Questions and Salutations from Washington State
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2010, 09:35:10 pm »

You must be from eastern Washington.  The seacoast doesn't have anything really bad as far as poisonous critters are concerned.  We're also far enough north that you don't really see sharks come up this way--even though Seabrook DOES look a lot like Amity.

The Granite State is pretty good for those who are poisonous creature-averse.  We do have quite a few mosquitos and ticks, but we are far enough from Lyme-Disease-Central in Connecticut that it isn't too much of a worry.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2010, 10:09:36 pm »

Hey Optimus  I mean maxxoccupancy -- I am from Bremerton, just west of Seattle. We have ticks, brown-recluses but the snakes are on the other side of the Cascades... is that what leads you to believe I am from the eastern part of the state?

ps. I am not really averse to creepy-crawlies, and part of me hopes to run into them... call it a dangerous fascination.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2010, 12:43:11 am »

Max, there are even sharks north of Seabrook.
And 50% of all deer ticks in NH are now estimated to be carrying Lyme.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2010, 12:32:47 pm »

I think the poisonous rat snake range includes NH. At least, when I lived in northern Maine I heard that the state had had no poisonous snakes for a long time but the rat snake had recently entered southern Maine. Never seen one, don't know what it looks like (but I've never seen a rattlesnake in other states that do have them, either).
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2010, 07:43:08 am »

Say I got a place right near downtown and got around on bike or bus foot. How far away is the nearest grocery store? Could I walk there in 10 minutes? Would I need to hop on the bus?

I am not worried about short walks say up to 20-30 minutes. That is a good use of time for me, walking.

Plus what is the approx cost of name brand smokes?

What is the nightlife like in Manchester? Concord? Franklin?

Thanks again.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2010, 08:43:55 am »

Say I got a place right near downtown and got around on bike or bus foot. How far away is the nearest grocery store? Could I walk there in 10 minutes? Would I need to hop on the bus?

Portsmouth and Keene are probably the best for walking.

What is the nightlife like in Manchester? Concord? Franklin?

Manchvegas likely has the best nightlife.  Portsmouth and Keene have some, but it tends to be somewhat seasonal (Portsmouth being a tourist destination, and Keene being a college town).

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2010, 08:53:41 am »

Hey Joe, why do you call it Manchvegas?

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2010, 08:58:01 am »

Hey Joe, why do you call it Manchvegas?

Remember that NH is mostly rural.  Even Concord doesn't qualify as a "city," most other places.

Manchester, compared to the majority of NH, is Vegas.  Lots of bright lights and nightlife and such.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

etc

« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2010, 03:22:02 am »

Where I live in Nashua it's usually in the 20ies in the winter, and the 70ies in the summer. 

That's music to my ears, I love colder climate, both summer and winter.  Lived in the South for a long time and could never adjust to 90+ degree weather and incredible humidity, so much that you need AC at night even.
A 5-10 degree drop would be most welcome. You are moving to the agricultural zone 4.

I lived in Seattle BTW and liked that  climate too. All in all, I think NH would be better with humidity as things would grow better and the terrain is more interesting I think. But NH would win on the political front versus WA state.

New Hampshire Charter: Considering with ourselves the holy will of God and our own necessity, that we should not live without wholesome laws and civil government among us, of which we are altogether destitute, do, in the name of Christ and in the sight of God, combine ourselves together to erect and set up among us such governments as shall be, to our best discerning, agreeable to the will of God.

etc

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2010, 03:24:55 am »

Hi Mark,
A good places to get and idea about NH rent is rent.com.  There is also the Union Leader newspaper.  For more info about the business climate try New Hampshire Business magazine http://millyardcommunications.com/index.php?src=.  
. . .
We have found NH to be odd in that the state has a population of 1.2 M but the largest city is only about 100K.  A lot of the population is spread out through the country side on multi acre parcels.  IMHO this gives the natives a bit of a different perspective than many other places.  I would definitely recommend spending the first first year or so as a renter semi close to one of the hubs.  You will gain a lot of perspective in that first year.
Thanks,
Glen
FaceBook: n.glen.dickey

This is really good advice. I think I will rent also for a year or two. Especially considering that the real estate bubble is not even close to bursting and has a long way to go.

Snow I can deal with. If it stays all winter, it's pretty.  If in return I get cooler summers, I am happy. Here in DC things just about melted this summer. Walk 1/4 mile and feel exhausted.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:27:06 am by etc »
New Hampshire Charter: Considering with ourselves the holy will of God and our own necessity, that we should not live without wholesome laws and civil government among us, of which we are altogether destitute, do, in the name of Christ and in the sight of God, combine ourselves together to erect and set up among us such governments as shall be, to our best discerning, agreeable to the will of God.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2010, 02:03:28 pm »

If you're willing to get around by bus Manchester should be a good place. Check out the map of the bus routes (Disclaimer: bus service run by Manchester Transit Authority, a city-owned "business").

http://www.mtabus.org/route_map.cfm

The fare, 1.50, is more than I had to pay in a city 2x the size of Manchester, Rochester New York, but Rochester had a 15 cent transfer fee, which I haven't seen on the MTA website. Also it doesn't do much good for me to complain, transit is usually a state-subsidized service so I expect the fare would be higher if it was operating in the free market (unless it was run as a charity or got a heck of a lot of money for advertising on the buses).

I have only been in Manchester twice, during my trip to NH for Porcfest in June. I never rode the bus there, so someone else will have to say whether the service is any good.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2011, 06:42:57 pm »

What is the best way to get from Boston to Manchester?

If I fly in to Boston, aside from renting a car, what is the preferred way? Bus? Train? Moonwalk?

Thank you.

It looks like there is a very strong chance that I am headed out for Porcfest this year.

I am still planning on moving out there this year and may just combine the two trips into one. Unsure.

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2011, 07:56:12 pm »

What is the best way to get from Boston to Manchester?

If I fly in to Boston, aside from renting a car, what is the preferred way? Bus? Train? Moonwalk?

http://www.bostonexpressbus.com/

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2011, 10:25:07 pm »

I'm back in Washington, myself, but will be returning tomorrow afternoon.  If you want to find an area that reminds you of home, the seacoast is it.  We also get mild weather out there.  I love the area around Hampton Harbor.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2011, 01:43:17 am »

Just an update. I signed the statement of intent. Though I am about 9 or 12 months behind and am hoping to make the next Porcfest. Leaving my home state is more of a project than I realized.

I have a question though. In the attachment what is with the brown area? I suspect it's not military because federal military aren't a strong presence in NH, right? Notice it has right angles so it is likely edited after it comes from the satellite... because of all the various deals google has out their with the govt etc through their earth program certain parts are blurred so to speak. Why?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up