Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions and Salutations from Washington State  (Read 33897 times)

time4liberty

Re: Questions and Salutations from Washington State
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2010, 05:52:39 pm »

Thank you Seth and everyone else. I am now official. I pledge to move before the end of 2011. However I am aiming at spring 2011. I also intend to visit sometime in the Fall maybe mid-October. I will be scouting locations, employment and housing. Not to mention the people.

You could add a section that allows to enter a month instead of defaulting to the end of the year.

I also intend to provide some type of internet advertising. I may build a page to help spread the word. Also I am technically-oriented so if you all need help on your site feel free to ask. Though it does not seem like you all need the help, things work well around here.

Thanks again.
Mark

ps what # does that make me? 10339? Haha.

If you move by spring you'll probably be in the top 1000 movers (or close). That's a much more impressive number imo ;). Anyone can sign a pledge.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2010, 06:53:45 pm »

More than a thousand have already moved.

Lots of folks don't bother to update their info when they move.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

time4liberty

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2010, 07:01:01 pm »

Joe

Good point. The number's probably closer to 1500 in reality, or even more.

Frankly, I think that while reaching 20,000 signers will be great, at this point the FSP has in reality already begun, and it's more about moving and joining in, than numbers.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2010, 07:08:54 pm »

Frankly, I think that while reaching 20,000 signers will be great, at this point the FSP has in reality already begun, and it's more about moving and joining in, than numbers.

There were already plenty of us here, as well.

And plenty of folks moving, who don't even know about the FSP.  The ratio is moving, but in the near past, I've spoken to at least twice as many folks who've moved here for liberty without hearing about the FSP, as those who've moved here because of the FSP.  Used to be higher, but the slow economy is keeping some folks stuck in place.  Those who are moving, right now, are usually doing extensive research, so they find the FSP before the move.

So, figuring the ratios over time, over the timeframe that the First 1000 has been going, there have likely been 5000 liberty-oriented movers.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2010, 08:13:34 pm »

Joe

That's probably a good estimate. Maybe short of that? Hard to know exactly. But it's definitely over 1,000.

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2010, 10:42:51 am »

Ok so I won't be in the first 1000 to move but oh well.

Another question:

What kind of creepy crawlies are in NH? I mean that in terms of poisonous creatures like snakes and spiders.

In Washington state we have Rattlesnakes, the Brown Recluse spider and sometimes the Black Widow. I have also heard that in these parts either the centipede or the millipede are poisonous.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2010, 10:52:49 am »

Timber rattlesnake... but only a small known population.
Lots of stinging/biting insects.

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2010, 11:00:36 am »

No spiders?

What type of insects, besides bees and ants of course?

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2010, 11:22:08 am »

Spiders, but nothing that should hurt a human unless they are allergic.
Mostly wasps, hornets, yellowjackets, blackflies, deerflies, horseflies... along with ticks and mosquitoes that can carry disease.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2010, 11:45:40 am »

Spiders, but nothing that should hurt a human unless they are allergic.

Northern black widow.

Don't forget snakes!  'Course, the most venomous snake here is a big wimp comparatively.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2010, 12:17:09 pm »

I don't know of any deaths due to the Northern Black Widow... but like I posted, could have an allergic reaction.

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2010, 12:51:04 pm »

Thanks for the replies. It seems like NH is a lot like WA in the creepy crawly regards... speaking of creepy crawlies

Is there notable corruption in NH? Anything systemic? At what level, local, state?

I figure that area would be the place to get started when I move to NH as it would have the most room for improvement.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2010, 04:53:40 pm »

Is there notable corruption in NH? Anything systemic? At what level, local, state?

Sure.  What's "notable," to you?

Not being facetious.  Just making the point that what I, being a local to NH, consider "heinous" levels of corruption, might not even rise to the "bat an eyelash" level, for someone who moved here from NJ (I'm thinking of a real example, folks, not picking on NJ out of the blue).

There's certainly corruption and, if you want to work at shining light on it, I'll be pleased.  Just saying that it's probably less than there is, many other places.

Local corruption is more likely to occur, here, given the size of the legislature.  While some bureaucrats may have enough power to be worth bribing, there are so many legislators (and, as a result, each has so little power, personally) that there's little reason to try and bribe them (whether openly or with favors).  Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's going to tend more towards the local level when it does, because individual bureaucrats at the local level actually have more power, and more opportunity to play such games.

Joe

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2010, 06:34:27 pm »

Thanks for the replies. It seems like NH is a lot like WA in the creepy crawly regards... speaking of creepy crawlies

I figure that area would be the place to get started when I move to NH as it would have the most room for improvement.

The only thing I worry about is ticks.  There is supposedly some kind of poison snake but I've never seen it.  Also the only spider you really have to worry about is the Brown Recluse, which can kill you, or even if caught early require amputation.  Although, again I've never seen one.  No stinging ants that I'm aware of just, bees, wasps and hornets.  Basically anything with a deadly sting or bite is almost non-existent here (unless you have an allergy of course).  The worst things I've ever encountered are ticks.

As for corruption I'm sure it's there, but I haven seen much of it except for this humorous story: http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100420/GJNEWS_01/704209936/-1/fosnews
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2010, 09:30:53 pm »

What is notable? I see what you mean. I guess I meant some level of corruption that is longstanding and noticeable to locals. I understand some of the issues relating to NH and am trying to get as much info as possible. So it's more likely to be the local sheriff or mayor and not a legislator. That's what I am getting from you Joe.

And thanks Bazil, I will watch for ticks. We have those in our wooded areas out here however I have never seen one but I do know what to look out for. I have seen the brown recluse, aka the fiddleback and it's affects. That's some scary shit right there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up