Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Packing camping supplies for air travel  (Read 10073 times)

rabbit20

• FSP Participant
Re: Packing camping supplies for air travel
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 06:36:11 pm »

Portland ME airport is about a 3 hour drive from Lancaster.

There is also a Walmart in Littleton which is closer than Berlin.
Kate

If the flight is cheaper then I may go that route...would anyone be willing to pick me up?
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
  --  Thomas Jefferson
http://pledgebank.com/Next1000
http://nhliberty.org
http://cafepress.com/ridleyreport
http://www.oathkeepers.org

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 11:44:31 am »

For most people Portland is way out of the way. 
It may be cheaper to get a flight to Boston and take a buss to Manchester and have someone meet you there. 
If you are bringing a firearm to NH you are better off getting a flight to NH and don't try to go through Mass. 
Because you would be breaking Mass state laws.  I don't know about Maine.

rabbit20

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 10:29:35 pm »

It may be cheaper to get a flight to Boston and take a buss to Manchester and have someone meet you there. 
If you are bringing a firearm to NH you are better off getting a flight to NH and don't try to go through Mass. 

No I am not going to bring any firearms...dont have a case for my rifle that I would trust going through baggage. And the flights look the same in price...about 20 bucks difference from a quick search.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
  --  Thomas Jefferson
http://pledgebank.com/Next1000
http://nhliberty.org
http://cafepress.com/ridleyreport
http://www.oathkeepers.org

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 04:41:49 pm »

I will be renting a car at the airport, so for me Boston is out of the question - I have zero interest in trying to drive there. My brother and I would enjoy being in Maine, as we lived there for quite some time, but have not been in the state for 11 years.

I only have rifles, and can't imagine trying to bring them on an airplane, especially for a 1-week visit.
When I move out I will bring them in my car - are you saying I can't even drive through the state of Massachusetts with them? I thought it was legal in every state if they are unloaded, broken down, hopefully no requirement about locking them up (I am also thinking of New Jersey as another state with very restrictive travel laws about guns).
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 05:39:29 pm »

Where are you moving from?  It sounds like you are coming from the south east part of the country if you are
talking about driving through NJ and Mass.

I moved from Richmond Virginia.   I drove up through Pennsylvania, upstate NY and Vermont to get to NH.
Less unfriendly gun states,tolls and traffic then driving up 95.

When you are traveling through a state and not visiting it you fall under federal laws.
Some states don't care and will arrest you for not following their laws.
If you are going to travel with firearms it is best to look up all the laws in the states you are going through.

Keep a copy of the Federal laws in your glove box and pack your firearms accordingly.  Read and follow them.

The basics are they need to be unloaded in a locked container and the ammo in a separate container.  They should be in the trunk or the
very back of your vehicle out of reach of the passengers.  Under all the other luggage is best.

Airlines do have procedures for checking firearms in checked luggage on planes.  You need to be legally able to have the firearm in the beginning and end destinations.
If you have a lay over do not accept your baggage from the airline.  If you do you will fall under the local jurisdictions laws.  Most big city airports are in jurisdictions that ban firearms.
Check all applicable laws and airline polices before traveling  with a firearm.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 08:58:47 pm »

I almost always advise folks to just fly in through Manchester.  I've found that it's cheaper than Boston-Logan, anyway, and southwest.com usually has good deals flying into MHT.

You should also consider driving up, especially if you can make the drive within 24 hours.  If worse comes to worse, you can sleep in your car.  You can carry more gear, see more of the state, and get a lot more done from your car than you can waiting at the airport for a ride... worse, renting a car.  If you want cheap lodging for a liberty event, porcmanor.com

I view Wal*Mart as a corporate welfare queen and a last resort.  If some local store has something, I buy it from them.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

10stateswithnh

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 07:47:36 am »

I haven't been able to buy plane tickets yet as my brother needs to have his passport approved so he can fly. We applied together and I just got mine - but he didn't have all the normal ID stuff, never had a state ID of any kind, so it's still up in the air if he'll even be able to come.

Where we fly in will be all about the price - I would prefer Manchester too but if it is cheaper elsewhere I will consider Portland more desirable than Boston.

We are coming from Utah/Colorado and I only have 1 week off from work so driving is really not much of an option, especially since my brother doesn't drive.

You're probably right about Walmart but I don't care enough to make a trip elsewhere, since I work there, at least for now. Edit: what I meant to say is that I have other priorities and choose other battles for personal and economic reasons, not that I don't care that Walmart receives government protection and aid and lobbies for benefits mandates in order to hurt their competition. It's not a "great" place for someone believing in liberty to work, although marginally better than working FOR the government, but I like the benefits and especially the ability to transfer anywhere in the country, at least theoretically (I've heard some areas of the country they don't accept transfers). I plan to gain more education and job skills so I will be able to move ahead, as soon as I am finished paying off debt (probably 6 more months tops). I need to work on developing a career plan for my life - something I have not really done yet to this point in my life. For now, working for Walmart works for me. Someday I will develop better options, I am sure of that. I want to figure out what to do with the rest of my life, but right now I don't know. Someday I will be able to afford to avoid the big corporations, if they don't completely kill small business.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:37:46 am by 10stateswithnh »
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

Delaware2

• FSP Participant
  • Freedomfighter, Libertarian, Engineer, Early Mover
    • Rainbow Farm
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 01:16:56 pm »

Regarding shipping the tent, last year I paid $70.- to ship a 4-person dome tent, mat and sleeping bag.

From Kansas, UPS. 

Perhaps less than or close to what the airline would charge.

But today's new tents are pretty cheap.

10stateswithnh

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 07:06:11 pm »

Delaware2, it sounds like it would be cheaper to buy them there if it costs $70 to ship.
I am leaning this direction especially if I can find someone to either take them or store them for me afterwards.

It now appears my brother cannot come with me, the passport application having been turned down for lack of proper ID (how is someone over 21 supposed to get their *first* state ID - he doesn't drive). He's going to try again with the state of Colorado, maybe they'll stretch the rules about a statement from a parent which is supposed to be for a person under 21, and he is 21, because our Mom is going with him this time. If he is lucky and gets it quickly, he might still be able to come with me (update: he is definitely not coming).

If he doesn't come with me I would probably not rent a car and so would be unable to give rides from the airport (unless the other person is willing to split the rental cost).

If I do rent a car I could give 1-3 people a ride from whichever airport I fly into (depending on amount of luggage and if my brother comes).

Update: I am flying in Wed June 23, decided to rent a car even though I will be alone, and am offering rides up Wed from Manchester and back on Sunday (I have room for 3-4 passengers depending on the amount of luggage).
Please PM me if you are interested, with your details.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:17:20 am by 10stateswithnh »
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up