Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the closest/best airport to fly into for PorcFest?  (Read 8112 times)

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: What is the closest/best airport to fly into for PorcFest?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 10:54:28 am »

If I do fly into Portland, I doubt I will be giving much business to Maine, other than the rental car. I mean, why pay sales tax when you don't have to?

Everything in NH seems close enough that I can fly into Portland and not detract much from the time I have to spend in Manchester / Concord/ Keene/ seacoast area. Everything's more spread out in Utah and Colorado.

I can't think of a good reason to fly into Portland instead of Manchester, unless 1) you want to visit Portland (it can be a fun town, if you're into the whole artsy-college town-leftist sort of vibe), 2) it's cheaper for you fly there, rent a car, etc., or 3) you find a flight into Portland that better suits your schedule.  According to google maps, Manchester is almost 1/2 hour closer than Portland to Lancaster.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 03:07:33 pm »

sometimes the closest one is not always the 'fastest way to get there'

Agreed.  I'd still recommend Manchester (MHT) as your best first choice.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 07:31:25 pm »

I can't think of a good reason to fly into Portland instead of Manchester, unless
1) you want to visit Portland (it can be a fun town, if you're into the whole artsy-college town-leftist sort of vibe),
During my 12 years in Maine, far northern and eastern ends, Portland was always at least 4 hours away, so I haven't been there much except to drive through. Plus it was always the "big city," isn't that funny? So this reason really doesn't apply to me.
2) it's cheaper for you fly there, rent a car, etc., or
3) you find a flight into Portland that better suits your schedule.  According to google maps, Manchester is almost 1/2 hour closer than Portland to Lancaster.

I agree with these 2 reasons, only if 1 or both is true would I fly to Portland. However, I would also add:
4) You derive pleasure from simply being in a place you have never been (or haven't been in a long time), regardless of if there's anything you want to do or see there.

This would be a bonus for me, if 2 or 3 is also true. I once was visiting an area north of Chicago and drove across the border to Wisconsin for just this reason. If I rent a car on this trip I would like to drive up to Canada for just this reason (passengers with passports welcome but no passengers planning border activism, please - it's just not my choice of battle).
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 01:54:16 pm »

Going into Canada can get pretty hairy these days.  They actually refused me entry into Canada once at midnight when I still had another two hours to drive to my hotel.  Yeah that wasn't a great night.  The advantage you get going to Boston is the direct flights.  They can sometimes save you hours.  It is only worth it to go to Manchester if you have to take a connection, or if you will land in Boston during rush hour.  Without traffic Manchester is only 45 minutes closer than Boston.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 04:47:41 am »

I wound up getting tickets for Manchester after all, flying in June 23rd. I was only considering Portland if it was cheaper, or if I wound up using JetBlue since they don't have Manchester flights.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

anything