Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me convince the wife  (Read 6655 times)

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: Help me convince the wife
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 09:59:26 pm »

I had to make sure the people weren't all a bunch of whack jobs or had less social skills than the people at an National LP convention.

Oooh! Ba-zing!

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 05:20:39 pm »

I had to make sure the people weren't all a bunch of whack jobs or had less social skills than the people at an National LP convention.

Oooh! Ba-zing!

I was concerned at the time about the people in the movement.  I had been to the Libertarian National convention a few months before and was surprised at number of antisocial debatarians in attendance.
I was genuinely frightened by the pro life objectivists.  I had no idea that so many whiny people could argue for so long about the libertarian platform.
 My fear was if the people in the FSP were mostly like that they would never get anywhere.  I wasn't going to move for that.

I went to Porc fest 2004 and found a wonderful group of people.  They were a very diverse and eclectic bunch.  They were much more like the libertarians I hung out with and not like the scary people at the convention. 
I found the people who were not only passionate about liberty but they were actually doing something about it.   
I found people not only willing to move but willing to start projects and actually work toward more freedom and less government.
I have since met several people who were also at the 2004 Libertarian National Convention. 
They too moved to be with people doing something about liberty and not just debating about it.

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 10:09:06 am »

I love living in NH and the people are terrific, but when someone needs metropolitan and won't take BFE, we shouldn't mislead them. Boston is the closest you can get to metropolitan and even it has a heavy dose of quaint.

Southern NH is close enough to Boston for frequent fixes, if that helps.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 10:13:54 am »

I feel for you.  My wife loves the warmth and Florida specifically more than she loves her freedom.  She constantly begs me to let us more there, lucky for me we were already here (NH) so I'm on the other side of that coin.  My wife however has never been there in the summer (something I have to do often) and the heat down there is horrible.  So if your wife doesn't like the extreme summer heat that could be a way to convince her.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 09:38:47 am »

I often claim I moved to NH to escape the Summers of Richmond VA. 

There are way less bugs up here even with black fly season.
Your evenings cool down here.  You never see the 3 weeks or so when the temperature never drop below 80 degrees even at night.
I also found the humidity to be about 20% less than Richmond on average.

Spring isl just beautiful up here.  The leaves have just filled in on the maple trees.
The lilacs are in bloom everywhere.   I still have tulips in the flower beds and the garden is starting to sprout.

The summers are great for being out doors.  Sunny and not too hot.  Nice cool evenings where the tempurature drops by 20 degrees or so in the evenings. 
We have lots of mountains to hike with trees everywhere.
The rivers and lakes have nice sandy or pebble bottoms.  Not the mucky, swampy, gook you find further south. 

The winters are cold but you have more light fluffy snow not the heavy wet stuff that the mid Atlantic states get.
Also you have far fewer ice storms than Virginia.

I think NH is beautiful. 

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 12:35:37 pm »

We've had the same difference of opinion on another thread, but I don't mind repeating it here.  :)

There are way less bugs up here even with black fly season.

Well, that's probably true when you compare Florida to NH.  The black flies in NH can be bad though!  This probably varies a LOT depending on how close you are to small streams.  I live in a rural area with a pond and a small stream bordering my property, and the black flies can be really, really bad.  They started early this year, and they've been relentless thus far.  Just as bad are the deer flies, and to a lesser extent the horse flies.  The deer flies make it a nightmare to stroll down an otherwise idyllic rural road.

Your evenings cool down here.  You never see the 3 weeks or so when the temperature never drop below 80 degrees even at night.
I also found the humidity to be about 20% less than Richmond on average.

NH is still has a humid climate.  The temps do go lower at night than areas further south, and that's great.  Unfortunately the humidity often shoots up to 100% as the temperature falls while the absolute level of moisture stays high, and a 100% relative humidity night at 60 deg or whatever still feels awful IMO.  If you don't mind growing some mold on your walls, go ahead and forgo the A/C.  Granted, A/C is not needed very often, but for a few weeks out of the year I really make use of a large window unit in the attic.

Spring isl just beautiful up here.  The leaves have just filled in on the maple trees.

Can't argue with that.  Of course the leaves on the maple trees came several weeks earlier down in the mid-Atlantic, and they will stay on the trees at least several weeks longer in the fall.  :)

The lilacs are in bloom everywhere.   I still have tulips in the flower beds and the garden is starting to sprout.

That's one thing I absolutely love about NH.  The state flower is the purple lilac, and it's EVERYWHERE.  The fragrance is amazing.

The summers are great for being out doors.  Sunny and not too hot.  Nice cool evenings where the tempurature drops by 20 degrees or so in the evenings.

With the exception of certain periods where the heat/humidity get out of hand, and certain times with an overabundance of biting insects (particularly in rural areas), the summers are nice in NH.  Actually I like all the seasons in NH.  A little lower humidity and a little shorter winter would be ideal IMO, but you can't have it all.

We have lots of mountains to hike with trees everywhere.

That's a HUGE bonus over a place like Florida, IMO.  The flat landscape in much of Florida is really boring to me.  And areas without a lot of trees really creep me out.  It's worth pointing out that people from the southwest USA often feel creeped out and claustrophobic when they first visit the east coast, because the trees bring the horizon in from what they're used to (miles or tens of miles+) to very close by.

The winters are cold but you have more light fluffy snow not the heavy wet stuff that the mid Atlantic states get.

With the exception of a few winters (like this past one), we get a LOT more snow in NH than the mid-Atlantic.  And although we are more likely to get drier snow than the mid-Atlantic, our total amount of wet-snow snowfall is likely significantly greater than what's seen in the mid-Atlantic.  I don't know if you're the one who shovels snow at your house, but I'm the one who does it at my house.  Having lived in the mid-Atlantic and NH, I can state definitively that there is more wet snow (and much more dry snow) here than there.  I've had a lot of time to get familiar with it while removing it from my 150' driveway.

Also you have far fewer ice storms than Virginia.

Maybe.  But how long is the average person without power when an ice storm hits Virginia?  Probably not the 7 days many of us were without power during last year's ice storm, and this year's wind/rain storm.

I think NH is beautiful.

Me too.  Let's end this in a spirit of agreement.  :D

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 03:12:59 pm »

MargoMaps.

Lets us agree to disagree. 
Richmond's Ice storms would knock out power for a few hours to a week or so.  Since they happen more frequently the trees are more used to it and less of them come down in a given storm.
They do cause tons of auto accidents every year.  They would often strike during rush hour and cause great amounts of havoc and damage.  When I lived there a sheet of black ice from one of these storms caused a 98 car accident on an exit ramp a mile form my work.

It would be the hurricanes that wipe out power and water for up to 2 weeks at a time.  It sucks when the city water goes down.

The guys from Free Talk Live were once asked on air about the bugs at Porc Fest one year.  They said the bugs in Sarasota FL were much worse than the campground at Porc Fest.

Deanotrek

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 07:45:00 pm »

I agree with Kate You have got to come to Porqfest. Iy\t changed my life.

Justify33

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 04:42:18 am »

Here is an interesting website for democracy as it pertains to political migrations (Balkanization):
http://localparty.org/

Americans are in trouble:
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »

That's a HUGE bonus over a place like Florida, IMO.  The flat landscape in much of Florida is really boring to me.  And areas without a lot of trees really creep me out.  It's worth pointing out that people from the southwest USA often feel creeped out and claustrophobic when they first visit the east coast, because the trees bring the horizon in from what they're used to (miles or tens of miles+) to very close by.

I've always wondered about that, NH must seem really green as well.  I travel a lot and for me when I travel out west it looks super brown and barren to me.  Just bare terrain with little greenery. 
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

time4liberty

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 03:36:45 pm »

I've always wondered about that, NH must seem really green as well.  I travel a lot and for me when I travel out west it looks super brown and barren to me.  Just bare terrain with little greenery. 

I've been in CA for 4 years, and it still seems that way to me ... NH is beautiful.

KDus

• Made it halfway from CA.
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 12:22:46 am »

I travel a lot and for me when I travel out west it looks super brown and barren to me.  Just bare terrain with little greenery. 

Thank you! Almost daily I have to remind people that we're living in a f*ing desert here. It gets green for a few days after some rain and then it dries out and you can't tell the grass from the dirt.
People here want green lawns, swimming pools, and big tree yet they complain about water shortages. IT'S A DESERT!

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 05:44:15 pm »

People here want green lawns, swimming pools, and big tree yet they complain about water shortages. IT'S A DESERT!

I know what you mean. I can't understand the obsession with green lawns here in Utah. My Mom, just across the border into Colorado, is fortunate to be in a town where a lot of people don't try to have green lawns, or course the rental place next to her does (anyway, the town's artesian well doesn't support a big increase in water use - which doesn't jibe well with a new mayor that wants to increase the population of the own). Mom uses a lot of water herself, for her garden, but doesn't have any lawn at all - she is growing useful plants instead.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up