Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Insurance Liability  (Read 834 times)

LA Liberty

Auto Insurance Liability
« on: April 07, 2010, 01:14:47 am »

I read that New Hampshire has no law mandating auto liability insurance... however, I think mandated auto liability insurance is part of a liberty-based society, because it supports property rights.  It insures that the injuring party will be fiscally responsible.  It doesn't have to be mandated auto insurance, but then the laws (not sure what New Hampshires are) would have to ensure that my property was protected some other way.  I am interested in criticism on this point.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: Auto Insurance Liability
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 01:37:05 am »

I personally disagree.

Mandated insurance coverage becomes unnecessarily expensive and a very substantial burden on those who need transportation but can't fit $150+ monthly payments per vehicle into their home budget. And then turn them into criminals just because they still need to get to work to put food on the table? --Even if they actually haven't hurt someone? Just don't sit right with me.

If you are injured, nothing prevents you from suing the other person for your injuries. Hopefully they have auto insurance. In addition, nothing prevents you from insuring yourself from the known risk that a person who injures you might not have insurance or be able to pay you. Why, I think that's a mighty fine idea. Personal responsibility goes both ways.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:38:51 am by B.D. Ross »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: Auto Insurance Liability
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 02:50:32 am »

NH sort of has both.
Mandatory liability is not required until certain occurrences. Those occurrences may not truly have any bearing on liability to another party.
i.e. DWI, you may not have injured anyone or even yourself... but mandatory liability would then be required.
Pages: [1]   Go Up