Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Legal Services in NH  (Read 7678 times)

Polemic

Legal Services in NH
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:00:05 am »

Any lawyers already make the move? Any planning to?

I'm in the field and could conceivably move as early as August 2011, though I haven't pledged yet.
From here, it looks like the FSP could use some friendly lawyers.

Any thoughts?
"Optimists proclaim that we live in the best of all possible worlds; pessimists fear that this is true."

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
Re: Legal Services in NH
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:21:17 am »

There are about 7 to 8 lawyers that have made the move.  I know of at least two law students who are planning to.  Welcome aboard and feel free to PM me.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

umbcpaleoconservative

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:22:35 pm »

Hey guys I would like to move to NH by the end of the summer. I am currently a paralegal in Maryland and would be interested to know if you guys have any leads or connections that might help me secure a paralegal position in NH or the greater Boston metro area?

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:55:10 am »

Try here: http://www.nhbar.org/publications/classifieds/default.asp

Keep in mind that NH is a small state and people generally hire locals.  It will make it easier for you if you get a local private mailbox and change your number to a 603 number.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Polemic

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 02:37:33 am »

Thanks for the comments. I contacted a variety of the attorneys that have made the move, but everyone's busy.

So, anyone have any new information?
Found jobs in Boston, but as with most in the legal profession - strong regional schools are irrelevant when speaking to the national job market.

~ j
"Optimists proclaim that we live in the best of all possible worlds; pessimists fear that this is true."

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 02:40:13 pm »

Thanks for the comments. I contacted a variety of the attorneys that have made the move, but everyone's busy.

I don't think I've heard from you.

Polemic

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 04:50:35 am »

I don't think I've heard from you.

Sorry about that, SJ. PM forthcoming.

noelb3

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 04:58:02 pm »

I am a law student who is very interested in a move to New Hampshire. Most of my class will graduate in May of 2012. I have worked hard to graduate early, in December of this year. I am the 2010 Economic Analysis of Law Scholar of Merit at Cumberland School of Law. I made the Dean's List this past spring (2011). I am married, and we have no children (yet). My wife will be finishing her M.B.A. in December as well.

Most of my family and my wife's family are in Tennessee. We were planning to move back to Middle Tennessee after graduation, but we would like to move to New Hampshire by 2017. Of course, those plans are predicated on the notion that I would need several years of work experience before anyone in the legal profession in New Hampshire would consider hiring someone from so far out of state. Perhaps, however, people in the FSP might be a little more open-minded, and consider hiring a young attorney who is not only willing but eager to take the bar exam in New Hampshire and move there as soon as is financially feasible.

Given my circumstances, as stated, I welcome any suggestions from other forum members. Feel free to PM me or post them here. I am also more than happy to send my résumé to any attorney or firm who might have a need for a hard-working young legal professional. Thank you!

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:16:22 pm »

You should consider going anywhere you can find a job.  The market is beyond tough for new law grads.  Consider applying to clerkships in NH as a way to get your foot in the door.  None of the FSP attorneys have associates - they're all 1 or 2 attorney firms.  I started my own firm soon after passing the bar.  It's gone very well. 

freedomroad

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 10:20:46 pm »

So, anyone have any new information?
Found jobs in Boston, but as with most in the legal profession - strong regional schools are irrelevant when speaking to the national job market.

~ j

Take the job in NH.  Quite a few NH lawyers also work in MA, nothing wrong with that.  I've worked in Boston and even south of it before (not a lawyer) and I enjoyed the work.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 11:47:40 pm »

You should consider going anywhere you can find a job.  The market is beyond tough for new law grads.

Quoted for truth.

MikeForLiberty

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 06:47:50 am »

Are any of the in-state attorneys working in real estate? I need to talk with one or get a referral to a liberty minded property attorney. 

doobie

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 09:17:28 am »

Are any of the in-state attorneys working in real estate? I need to talk with one or get a referral to a liberty minded property attorney. 

Generally in NH lawyers I don't think specialize in real-estate.  I could be wrong, but 98% of house purchases/sales are done without an attorney.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 06:13:55 pm »

I could be wrong, but 98% of house purchases/sales are done without an attorney.

You're wrong.

It's almost certainly higher than 98%.

99.9% is probably closer.

There's rarely any need for an attorney at a home sale.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:38:01 pm »

Attorneys are often used for preparing partnership agreements for real estate deals. They are not typically needed for residential transactions (although behind the scenes each title/escrow company has a title attorney to review title searches and other documents for insurance purposes).  Although some folks use attorneys for closing, I personally much prefer to use a title company -- someone who does it day in and day out.

Parties to commercial transactions often use attorneys to review and/or draw up docs.
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up