Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Where would you choose to reside if there was no bureaucrap between you and your choice?

India
- 0 (0%)
Brazil
- 2 (6.1%)
New Hampshire. Nowhere else.
- 10 (30.3%)
USA excluding New Hampshire
- 4 (12.1%)
Belize
- 0 (0%)
Canada
- 6 (18.2%)
St. Kits & Nevis
- 0 (0%)
China
- 0 (0%)
U.K.
- 2 (6.1%)
Argentina
- 0 (0%)
Nicaragua
- 0 (0%)
Mexico
- 0 (0%)
France
- 2 (6.1%)
Dominica
- 0 (0%)
Other (please specify)
- 7 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Indulge and surprise me, please.  (Read 2657 times)

eh?

• Just living is not enough.
Indulge and surprise me, please.
« on: August 21, 2010, 05:14:09 pm »

Full disclosure: I am not, ATM, inside the political boundaries of the United States.  That, by itself, will have an extremely tiny effect on any choice I make.  I do hope and intend to follow the advice oft proffered on this forum to visit New Hampshire in person (not sure if that's a promise or a threat.  ;D  ) but I am trying to do sufficient prior due diligence.

I'd like to know where people would choose to live, if the choice itself were subject to no official regulation at all and I'd appreciate if you would share your opinion.  If I did it right, I set this thing to allow three votes per person and to allow people to change their votes if they want.

I wonder if one of the significant reasons that at least some free staters are in New Hampshire is that the thugs won't let them go where they would really, truly, prefer to go.  Or maybe it's where they would go if they could not go to New Hampshire and had to settle for second best.  Either way, I'm aware that there was a major and very lengthy discussion leading up to the choice that was made by the FSP and I am not asking about that.

The problem for me is that in present circumstances and from where I sit New LiberHopeia is a fantasy.  I have seen, and fallen for, enough of Fantasies to understand, really understand, that Reality will differ.  That doesn't bother me particularly, depending.  The map is not the territory and all that.

My fear is the possibility that people now attempting to escape from and turn back the thugs by fleeing to New Hampshire will not turn out to be significantly different, say, from the  Jews attempting to escape and turn back the Nazis by fleeing to Warsaw.  Compounding the problem for me is that the water in the pot I'm in only seems a bit warm, so far.

It goes without saying that maximum personal liberty, present and future, would be the most significant reason most people would have for making their choice.
To advocate compulsory taxation (there is no other kind) is to advocate aggressive violence.
Rare indeed seem those who would rather the lash were banished utterly from human interaction save in defense of self and property
than the haft thereof find on convenient occasion its lawful place nestled comfortably in their own grasp.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Indulge and surprise me, please.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 07:03:26 pm »

New Hampshire.

'Course, I've called New Hampshire home since long before the FSP was even a pipe dream, so I may not be the best one to ask.  While it was fortuitous that the FSP chose NH, which has already brought many great people here, this was already the best place to make a stand, by a wide margin.

Yeah, there are always the Alamo comparisons.  But, as I've said in the past, the difference is that we can learn from history.  It might be our Alamo, but we don't have to do it the way they did it.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 02:57:00 am »

Compounding the problem for me is that the water in the pot I'm in only seems a bit warm, so far.

Is that a government issued thermometer you are using? ;D
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

eh?

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 12:05:43 pm »

Compounding the problem for me is that the water in the pot I'm in only seems a bit warm, so far.

Is that a government issued thermometer you are using? ;D

Whom else would one trust?  <ribbit>  :)

New Hampshire.

Yeah, there are always the Alamo comparisons.  But, as I've said in the past, the difference is that we can learn from history.  It might be our Alamo, but we don't have to do it the way they did it.

Agreed.  But there were, and are, other choices with higher survival and comfort coefficients.  While not diminishing in the slightest my respect for those heroes or my appreciation for what they did, only those who made one of those other choices had a chance of seeing how it all worked out.

My friends that I haven't met yet, your (lack of) responses are not surprising me.  I mean, I know NH is in first place by a wide margin, especially here.  But no second, or even third, choices?  :P
To advocate compulsory taxation (there is no other kind) is to advocate aggressive violence.
Rare indeed seem those who would rather the lash were banished utterly from human interaction save in defense of self and property
than the haft thereof find on convenient occasion its lawful place nestled comfortably in their own grasp.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:20:39 pm »

Thailand.  In many ways, freer than America, these days.

I remember growing up knowing that this was the freest country on Earth.  There's no more shame than knowing that the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave has slide so far down the list.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:48:39 am »

Thailand.  In many ways, freer than America, these days.

I remember growing up knowing that this was the freest country on Earth.  There's no more shame than knowing that the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave has slide so far down the list.

Corruption in Thailand is astronomical however.  The brother of a guy I work with lives in Thailand and when he gets pulled over by the police he just hands them money and is on his way.  Also the Police there (whether they are allowed to or not) pull people over for no crime at all just to get the money.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:10:23 am »

if you hand the cops money they let you out of jail after a traffic stop .... sometimes

oh that happens here
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Ed

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 08:20:26 am »

Because the many-hundreds of years old protections designed to PROTECT the INNOCENT are something to be mocked.

Also, let's not make actual real-world comparisons to the actual, brutal alternatives societies have had.

eh?

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 08:37:06 pm »

There's no more shame than knowing that the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave has slide so far down the list.

One reason for my question.  And such doubt as may be justified as to eventual/interim success.

There is no shame for any of us unless we actively participated.

I am completely certain that the victim is never to blame.  Notwithstanding that the people hardest to convince of that in my experience have been those victims themselves.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.  Appreciated.

preparehandbook

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 06:46:48 pm »

if you hand the cops money they let you out of jail after a traffic stop .... sometimes

oh that happens here

I worked with a Jordanian, Jordanish, jordainian..... cop for Jordan, and was surprised when He stated that the US is lumped in with third world countries as having very corrupt police. I explained that we had some bad, some good, this merely generated a raised eyebrow.

He explained that on his 3rd day on duty he pulled over the mayor of his town, and 15 minutes later the chief of police. The mayor took his ticket politely, but scowled. The chief of police threatened him with what you'd normally expect "this will ruin your career, don't you know who I am?" etc. When he shakily handed the chief the ticket the chief clapped him on the back and explained that if he had let him talk him out of issueing a ticket he would have been arrested on the spot and faced 2 years in prison.

The Jordan-cop then asked me: "How many american police would write their mayor and/or police chief a ticket?"  I think we all no the answer is "not many"
Pages: [1]   Go Up