Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Packing camping supplies for air travel  (Read 10146 times)

Kamekazi Seagull

Packing camping supplies for air travel
« on: March 11, 2010, 02:37:50 am »

I am still up in the air as to whether I should camp out at Rogers or book a motel room.  I'd prefer to camp to tell you the truth, but I don't want to bring anything more than 1 piece of luggage and 1 backpack.  I will be staying at PorcFest than an additional 3 days at a hotel in Manchester.  Will it be really troublesome to fly with my camping supplies?  I do alot of day hiking here in So Cal, so besides adding a tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat to my supplies- what else would I need?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:42:53 am by Junior Mint »

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
Re: Packing camping supplies for air travel
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 03:00:21 am »

I am still up in the air as to whether I should camp out at Rogers or book a motel room.  I'd prefer to camp to tell you the truth, but I don't want to bring anything more than 1 piece of luggage and 1 backpack.  I will be staying at PorcFest than an additional 3 days at a hotel in Manchester.  Will it be really troublesome to fly with my camping supplies?  I do alot of day hiking here in So Cal, so besides adding a tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad to my supplies- what else would I need?

I have done a double of dozen flights (both domestic and international) with camping supplies without much trouble. I normally just use the straps to secure by bag, mat and tent, carabiner to keep things sliding and it does fine. Do not pack any form of stove fuel, even hex tabs, or you will end up having a conversation with DHS :-)

soy.lor.n

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 01:13:44 pm »

You could probably also find someone else who is driving who could bring an extra tent and rent it for a small fee, or something like that...

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 03:20:51 pm »

I would pack rain gear.  New Hampshire gets quite a bit of rain compared to SoCal.  We normally get a few rain showers over the course of the week.
The campground does have a laundromat so you can pack less clothes and plan on doing laundry. 
There is a small store on site with a very limited selection of goods.
Lancaster and Littleton each have small independent hiking/camping supply stores.  Both tend to carry higher end goods.
There is a supermarket and drug stores in Lancaster about 2 miles or so from Rogers.

You may consider shipping some of your gear back and forth.  The cost difference between checking an extra bag on a airplane and shipping it is shrinking.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:11:48 am »

I have been concerned about this as well - I was thinking about just buying cheap tent, 2 sleeping bags (a brother coming with me), etc after arriving in NH, then seeing if I could leave them with someone, but now I am wondering if I shouldn't just check them on the plane. Is there anyone there in NH storing used camping supplies for people flying in to camp? I'm not bringing a backpack, what would be the best way to arrange/organize them in order to minimize the cost of checking the bags?
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 12:18:15 pm »

I have been concerned about this as well - I was thinking about just buying cheap tent, 2 sleeping bags (a brother coming with me), etc after arriving in NH, then seeing if I could leave them with someone, but now I am wondering if I shouldn't just check them on the plane. Is there anyone there in NH storing used camping supplies for people flying in to camp? I'm not bringing a backpack, what would be the best way to arrange/organize them in order to minimize the cost of checking the bags?

Maybe buy a cheap tent in NH.  Buy a couple cheap sleeping bags too.  Try to sell or give them away before you leave.  Or stay in NH and keep them :)

10stateswithnh

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 03:42:20 pm »

Great idea, Keith. Unfortunately, for financial and family reasons I can't move until 2011.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

ny2nh

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 04:18:11 pm »

We have Walmart out here....

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 05:35:45 pm »

with no sales tax.

ny2nh

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 07:58:35 pm »

with no sales tax.
Ant they have tents and rain gear and all sorts of camping stuff.

What you can't carry, you can just grab here and give away when you leave cheap enough.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:43:07 am »

The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:18:12 pm »

A bunch of camping supplies, including a really decent tent can be had at Walmart for about the price of one night in a hotel. Then the site is really cheap. A whole week costs about as much as a cheap hotel room.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 11:29:15 pm »

with no sales tax.

Ha! When I was up there last month, I bought a diet coke, $1. Gave the cashier a $5. He didn't hand me back any change! The bastard.

"We don't have sales tax here."

"Oh yeah."

Pause. Standing there awkwardly. Still waiting for him to hand me the change, the idea of lack of sales tax having not sunk in yet.

"Oh... alright then!"

Hurray for operant conditioning!

10stateswithnh

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 02:49:06 pm »

A bunch of camping supplies, including a really decent tent can be had at Walmart for about the price of one night in a hotel. Then the site is really cheap. A whole week costs about as much as a cheap hotel room.

Very true. I am looking forward to no sales tax while out there. And I happen to know there is a Walmart over in Berlin, in case I don't make it to one farther south.

Now I have to decide how many nights to camp at Rogers, before reserving a site. My original thought was to spend Tues night in Manchester, Wed on the coast, camp from Thurs - Sun, Sunday night in Keene, and then back in Manchester Mon night before flying back - the camping is cheap but I don't want to drive back and forth from Lancaster - and I do want to visit these other parts of the state. Of course, I may wind up flying into a different airport - for instance Portland which might be cheaper for some flights, which might change things for the first and last night.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 04:41:07 pm »

Portland ME airport is about a 3 hour drive from Lancaster.

There is also a Walmart in Littleton which is closer than Berlin.
Kate
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up