Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Message For Those Undecided  (Read 3760 times)

LadyLee

• FSP Participant
  • A happy llama!
A Message For Those Undecided
« on: August 05, 2003, 04:31:01 pm »

A message to those who are "on the fence" about joining the FSP - let me tell you about my journey to joining the FSP (it's long, but bear with me...):

I am a 40-something woman who lives in California. I have been a liberty-lover as long as I remember (way before I understood the true implications of that word).  For many years, I have watched our state and federal governments take over more and more societal functions, creating ever-increasing rules and regulations, and taking away my right to live, work and breathe as a free individual. We have discussed our concerns and what to do about it for a long time, but we did not see a rational way to untangle this political and bureaucratic mess.

About 6 months ago, I saw an ad for the Free State Project in Reason magazine. Not too long after, both Claire Wolfe and Sunni Maravillosa mentioned the FSP, so I went to the web site. The concept excited me - a group of like-minded individuals moving to a state and trying to become free one rational step at a time. The web discussions fascinated me, as people discussed dealing with real-world issues (who takes care of public parks, what are the ramifications of legalizing drugs, who will feed the hungry when welfare programs are abolished, etc.). I did not agree with all the views presented, but some of the practical matters were being discussed.

I told my family "go look at the FSP - this is what we have been waiting for! Let's join!". I was shocked to find my extended family (husband, teenage son, ex-husband, mother, and close friends) not so eager to make the commitment and move. I heard many of the concerns that have been written here: I can't move without a job, I can't leave my friends, I'm worried about the medical care, it's too cold / too small / too rural / too urban, I'm afraid to move somewhere new, I won't make as much money, the list goes on and on...

Because of my family's lack of interest, I first signed up as a Friend of the FSP. I lurked the message boards 2-3 times a week, never contributing, just reading and thinking. When the announcement was made that it was time to vote for a state, I again talked to my family, and said we should sign up, and have a voice in choosing a state. I again heard the same concerns, but when I tried to discuss alternatives or making a plan, no one was listening.

I used to joke about  "waiting for the Libertarian Fairy to come along and magically change everything". Now I realized that my family was waiting for the Libertarian Fairy, and only wanted to move to a place that had already changed. They were not willing to make the long-term commitment to effect change.

(I am not trying to make light of their concerns - I have a lot of concerns myself. But our greatest asset is time. I have 5 years to polish my resume, look around the state, choose one or more places I want to live, put my house up for sale, find a job, find an apartment or a house to rent, move to my new home, and start looking for property to purchase. 5 years is a lot of time - if I can't move in 5 years, something is extremely wrong!)

If I want to teach my son that freedom is precious and worth saving, I need to work for that freedom. If I truly believe that an individual is responsible for themselves and their family, I have a personal obligation to take up that responsibility. For years I have said that "if you are unhappy with your government, go vote - if you don't take the time to study the issues and vote, don't complain about your politician".

If I want to live in a Free State, I have a personal responsibility to help create that Free State.

2 weeks ago, I took a deep breath, and joined as a full member  :D. No opting out - whatever state is chosen, I will go. I have 5 years to convince my family to come along. If my family decides not to leave, I will go alone. Yes, I will miss them, and yes I will feel very guilty about leaving them behind. BUT I AM GOING TO HELP CREATE, AND LIVE IN A FREE STATE.

Looking forward to meeting you all in the future (perhaps in that coffeehouse that Thor wants to open),
LadyLee
"You can have everything you want in this world - but you have got to go out and do!" (Harlan Ellison, paraphrased)

Stumpy

• FSP Participant
Re:A Message For Those Undecided
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 04:59:51 pm »

Occasionally a post comes along that compels me to re-read and re-re-read it. The post above is that type of post. I applaud your commitment to Liberty.

BTW, you will have 5-7 years to convince your family. ;D

Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.

Leonard

• FSP Participant
  • Practical Anarchist
    • Unruled
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 05:56:11 pm »

(applause)

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 06:18:48 pm »

I just boosted your karma, Lady Lee  :)

Congratulations on making the right decision!
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

Reaper

• FSP Participant
  • Atheism cures religious terrorism!
    • The Reaper's Den
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 07:44:14 pm »

Welcome!

Great post!    
Reaper
Proud member of the FSP's lunatic fringe!

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."

Stan

• FSP Participant
  • Lets Roll!
    • Free State Ads
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 09:22:52 pm »

"I have 5 years to convince my family to come along"

I think that problem will take care of itself LadyLee.  The way things are going, I think most of us will be afraid *not* to move in 5 years.

Thanks for the great post.  Can you feel the Karma?
We are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Check out FreeStateAds, a classified ads service for Porcupines!
http://www.freestateads.com/ads

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 01:04:06 am »

You got some Karma from me too, LadyLee!  Congrats!  I also think that it is a brave and courageous step you are taking... full of risks (loss of family even!!!!), but, we all have to follow that different drummer sometimes too.  Perhaps we will all create a state to which your family will be eager to move to to join you and help influence.  

michael
nothing to say...

Margot Keyes (SUNSHINE)

• Greeter Coordinator
  • FSP Participant
  • Mama of a prickle of four porcupine pups
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2003, 09:21:03 pm »

:DLady Lee you inspire me so much - I wish I would have read your post earlier - it would have saved me many a night's sleep ( and I have baby twins  and two preschoolers!---I need all the sleep I can get!!!)

My husband and I have since joined and can't wait to meet you someday!! If you are ever in Minnesota, PM me!!

:-* :-* :-*
Any alleged 'right' of one man, which necessitates the violation of the rights of another, is not and cannot be a right.
-- Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up