Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Religious question...  (Read 7532 times)

anon37268573

• First1000
Re: Religious question...
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 10:13:35 pm »

I'm a prospective participant, and I've spent a while studying up on the FSP and what the participants are doing in NH. I'm really, really considering a move (within three years), and I kind of wonder if I'll find anyone with beliefs similar to my own. Are there many voluntaryist Christians there? Or any at all? It probably won't affect my decision to move, but it'd be nice to know in advance.

I'm a practicing Catholic.  But, I pretty much volunteer to do whatever will expedite what ever it is that I'm trying to accomplish at the moment.

And then, there's this bastard, Russel Kanning, here who won't vote to lower our taxes.  He calls himself a voluntaryist Christian.  I don't know anything about him, though.

Kataqu

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 10:44:53 pm »

Strange to call someone a bastard if you don't know anything about him... : /

Kataqu

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 10:47:11 pm »

Have you signed the Statement of Intent yet?

No, not yet. I want to make sure I will be able to make the move, before I go committing to things.

time4liberty

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 03:34:50 pm »

Welcome Kataqu :)

I consider myself a voluntaryist Christian. It seems like there are many people involved with many different religious/metaphysical viewpoints.

FreedomFred

• Freedom Fred's Exposition on Freedom
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 08:02:34 pm »

Let's try to emulate that.

Doesn't imposing your religious beliefs on another individual kind of defeat the whole "freedom" aspect of this project?  As a devout Catholic, I would be unable to impose my personal viewpoints on abortion or homosexuality on my peers.  My older sister is gay and although I don't agree with her sexual preference, I respect her right to conduct herself as she wishes in the comfort of her own home.  Isn't that really what we're fighting for here?

Some are Christian, some are Buddhist, some are Atheist.  And there are many other religions. For someone to hold that a nation will fall apart simply because it did not hold to some particular ideology is a bit ludicrous.

And if you look at your history, *all* nations come and go, regardless of whether or not they cling to some ideology. But you are entitled to believe whatever you want. Of course, when you voice those beliefs that are not in line with reality, expect to be challenged on them.

Having said that, there may be some level of "stability" that can be had by forcing everyone to abide by the same ideology at gunpoint -- and that has definitely been tried many times throughout history. But the cost, of course, is Freedom. That's much too high of a price in my book.
http://freedomfred.com
Freedom is NOT optional!

lobstah

• FSP Participant
    • my music
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 09:00:10 pm »

i was a voluntaryist christian until recently. i definitely think the two belief systems can coexist.

BigJoe

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 09:16:37 pm »

i was a voluntaryist christian until recently. i definitely think the two belief systems can coexist.

did you drop the voluntaryist part, the Christian part, or both?

lobstah

• FSP Participant
    • my music
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 09:19:21 pm »

did you drop the voluntaryist part, the Christian part, or both?

sorry, i guess that wasn't very specific. i no longer call myself a christian. i am still a voluntaryist.

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 02:42:59 am »

Doesn't imposing your religious beliefs on another individual kind of defeat the whole "freedom" aspect of this project?  As a devout Catholic, I would be unable to impose my personal viewpoints on abortion or homosexuality on my peers.  My older sister is gay and although I don't agree with her sexual preference, I respect her right to conduct herself as she wishes in the comfort of her own home.  Isn't that really what we're fighting for here?

Do you mean sexuality should remain in the home or do you include public displays of affection in that statement? Would that mean that we heterosexuals should also keep our affection for each other out of public view?
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

FreedomFred

• Freedom Fred's Exposition on Freedom
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 06:14:35 am »

Do you mean sexuality should remain in the home or do you include public displays of affection in that statement? Would that mean that we heterosexuals should also keep our affection for each other out of public view?

And more to the point, would you now run to mommy government to outlaw any public displays of  affection? Holding hands? Snogging? Off to jail you go! Or did we not learn anything from all the stupid sodomy laws that were on the books -- and still are in some places?
http://freedomfred.com
Freedom is NOT optional!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up