Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Religious question...  (Read 7742 times)

Kataqu

Religious question...
« on: February 19, 2010, 05:16:26 am »

I'm a prospective participant, and I've spent a while studying up on the FSP and what the participants are doing in NH. I'm really, really considering a move (within three years), and I kind of wonder if I'll find anyone with beliefs similar to my own. Are there many voluntaryist Christians there? Or any at all? It probably won't affect my decision to move, but it'd be nice to know in advance.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Religious question...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 11:45:19 am »

welcome.

I know that there are many libertarian Christians, some 'conservative' Christians.
I do know a few Voluntaryist Quakers.

(part of me doesn't know because I don't ask them....and they aren't 'pushing it'----- all of which I see as a good sign)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 12:18:46 pm »

Welcome.
'Judge not lest thee be judged' is overlooked by some, but we do exist.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:05:17 pm »

Russell Kanning is a famous (or infamous?) early mover who I'm pretty confident fits that description. There are at least four people and possibly more in Keene who I believe fit that description. As Dreepa said, they tend to not be pushy about it. I think you will find plenty of people who will find your POV refreshing and will welcome you with open arms even if they do not strictly fit that description themselves.

Kataqu

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 04:23:51 pm »

Excellent. ^_^

I'm very glad about the non-pushiness part. It amazes me how pushy (nay, oppressive) the people in my area are regarding religion. I have a friend who's received death threats because he didn't believe with the majority. I've even been bullied in my own faith community, for thinking outside the box, so I hold a deep respect for anyone who can believe something without forcing others to believe it, too.

Thanks for the info, guys!  :)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 03:18:33 pm »

I think you'll find the "voluntaryist" part more important to Porcupines than the "Christian" part.  After all, what you believe for yourself is your own business; if you're going to try and force your beliefs on others at gunpoint (or, explicitly not do that, since you're a voluntaryist), that's where others need to concern themselves.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Kataqu

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 09:43:46 pm »

I think you'll find the "voluntaryist" part more important to Porcupines than the "Christian" part.  After all, what you believe for yourself is your own business; if you're going to try and force your beliefs on others at gunpoint (or, explicitly not do that, since you're a voluntaryist), that's where others need to concern themselves.

Joe

My question was primarily out of curiosity. Acceptance is part of what I'm hoping for among the Porcupine crowd, and I'm certainly not going to force anything on anyone, much less at gunpoint. That would run rather counter to the furtherance of freedom.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 10:42:24 pm »

My question was primarily out of curiosity. Acceptance is part of what I'm hoping for among the Porcupine crowd, and I'm certainly not going to force anything on anyone, much less at gunpoint. That would run rather counter to the furtherance of freedom.

Hence, why there shouldn't be a problem.  "I'm certainly not going to force anything on anyone, much less at gunpoint" eliminates 99.9% of possible strife.  The other 0.1% is pretty easy to deal with...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 11:20:58 pm »

Welcome. I'm a Christian, not a voluntaryist.

Have you signed the Statement of Intent yet?
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

creaganlios

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 07:00:45 pm »

we welcome you to Keene, where my partner and I will welcome you, without impsing any doctrine, to St. James Episcopal Church.

Moving_on_up

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 10:34:40 pm »

Any nation that doesn't serve the Lord or God is doomed to failure before it starts.  From my understanding, the US was founded by devote zealous Christians.  The Founding Fathers were devoted to God.  I believe that is why God blessed this nation and it truly has been the greatest country for a very long time.   Let's try to emulate that.

Polemic

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 12:51:23 am »

Any nation that doesn't serve the Lord or God is doomed to failure before it starts.  From my understanding, the US was founded by devote zealous Christians.  The Founding Fathers were devoted to God.  I believe that is why God blessed this nation and it truly has been the greatest country for a very long time.   Let's try to emulate that.

Which founders are you talking about specifically? Jefferson, Adams, Franklin, and more were either gnostic or atheist. Jefferson, who penned the famous preamble referring to a creator admitted in his correspondence that it was a reference to a non-anthropomorphic natural rights argument and appealed to the public concept of 'God' for rhetorical effect.

There is no doubt that the colonies, at the time, were predominately christian, but to say the founding fathers were devoted to God is factually incorrect.
Also, it's ridiculous to describe the US as a christian nation given the explicit separation of church and state, regardless of the clause's subsequent erosion by the courts.

It is impossible to have a free nation based on the ideals of any one system of religious morality. It's better for you to be a christian in a free secular nation than to create a nation wherein you force all others to (disingenuously) adhere to your world view, or worse yet, where some other sect tries to force you to adhere to theirs.
"Optimists proclaim that we live in the best of all possible worlds; pessimists fear that this is true."

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 01:08:33 am »

Any nation that doesn't serve the Lord or God is doomed to failure before it starts.

That would explain why no "nation" lasts terribly long...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:13:10 am by B.D. Ross »

creaganlios

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 07:44:26 am »

Any nation that doesn't serve the Lord or God is doomed to failure before it starts. 

Have you considered running for office in Iran?

Aggie

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 06:06:47 pm »

Let's try to emulate that.

Doesn't imposing your religious beliefs on another individual kind of defeat the whole "freedom" aspect of this project?  As a devout Catholic, I would be unable to impose my personal viewpoints on abortion or homosexuality on my peers.  My older sister is gay and although I don't agree with her sexual preference, I respect her right to conduct herself as she wishes in the comfort of her own home.  Isn't that really what we're fighting for here?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up