Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: on racism & hate crimes  (Read 3458 times)

hickatheart

on racism & hate crimes
« on: May 22, 2010, 09:04:48 am »

Hallo!

From CT we're thinking of heading to NH.  We're tired of the state encroaching further and further into our lives.  In looking at the NH social environment are you guys & gals aware of places where black and or interracial couples would be made to feel unwelcome, or where there is a hx of klan/supremecist movement types? I know what groups are present in NH, but I cannot tell much of their activity levels (from SPLC, FBI uniform crime report etc.)

From what I've read here, I get the feeling that freestaters are a good crowd.  It's the indigenous locals I'm wondering about. 

We can't wait to get outta here, but don't want to relocate and have to get outa there.

Thanks!
H@H

creaganlios

Re: on racism & hate crimes
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:47:14 am »

NH folk are very tolerant.  I have lived in Cheshire County for 12 years, in the ultimate rainbow family: black, white, hispanic, jamaican, native american, gay, straight.

And I've never had a problem. I've never gotten the stares, the rolled eyes, the whispers, or the stupid questions I got in NY, VA, or MA.

NH tends to buck the natioal trends (and in fact, much of New England does): you find some of your most conservative folks in the more densly populated cities, and your most welcoming, progressive, liberal folks in the rural areas.  The Connecticut River Valley (Cheshire, Suilliva, and Grafton), with its highly-educated, rural-chic, liberal tradition and institutions like Keene State College and Dartmouth College - is probably your best bet.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 03:56:40 pm »

People in nh are pretty tolerant and keep to themselves.  I've lived in or within walking distance from nh my whole life and I've never met a racist.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

OnLifeAndLiberty.com - Erik

• Give trade a chance!
    • On Life and Liberty
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:29:35 pm »

Hi,

While most Free Staters are vehemently anti-racist, many are also opposed to the concept of "hate crime" legislation. A theft is a theft, and a murder a murder, regardless of any racism behind the action.

-Erik

hickatheart

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:36:37 pm »

I'm glad to hear positive reviews.  We haven't followed too closely the hate crimes legislation.  IIRC it sounded like the goovernment sticking its snout into places it didn't belong. 

Either way, we're good to hear opinions and experiences with racism/prejudice/hate crimes in the state.

H@H

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 08:26:58 pm »

As a life long NH resident, I can say that racism isn't a big problem here. If you're looking to avoid discrimination, then you're probably as well off picking NH as anywhere else in the US.

FreedomFred

• Freedom Fred's Exposition on Freedom
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:24:59 am »

Lived in NH for 12 years now. The only problem I had with racism was 11 years ago at a restaurant in Nashua. But then the entire incident was started by an inebriated woman up from Massachusetts -- Allison Beal from Stoneham. I sued her and everyone else involved, BTW, and won the lawsuit. What a mass-hole!

I hate saying this, but the further away from the Mass border you are, the better off you'll be. But I love Nashua, and aside from that one incident -- and some run-ins with the cops after I called them all liars on the front page of the Nashua Telegraph!!! -- long story -- all has been particularly cool.

I don't think the problems I had with the Nashua Police were race-based -- they are pretty much equal opportunity meanness to anyone who crosses their path. And yet, I survived them, and they leave me alone now.

I have not heard of any other incidents of that nature in NH. And compared to other areas I've lived in -- like Philly and NJ -- New Hampshire is pretty damn cool.

And yes, I too stand firmly against "hate crimes", despite the crap I've had to endure in the past.
http://freedomfred.com
Freedom is NOT optional!

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 08:33:31 pm »

N'Hampsha folk are good folk.  I've never worried about angry or intolerant people--though there may be some who've moved in from somewhere else.

On the whole Granite Staters are decent people, and pretty much tolerate all kinds.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: [1]   Go Up