Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Is there a market for a private, pro-liberty post-secondary school (college, university, etc.) in New Hampshire?

Yes
- 21 (72.4%)
No
- 4 (13.8%)
Uncertain; explanation below.
- 4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: A Private Pro-Liberty School in New Hampshire?  (Read 52631 times)

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
A Private Pro-Liberty School in New Hampshire?
« on: February 09, 2010, 06:32:50 pm »

Well, let's hear it!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: A Private Pro-Liberty School in New Hampshire?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:20:11 pm »

nope not enough critical mass.

rossby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:06:59 pm »

Not enough critical mass within the U.S.? How terribly sad...

MengerFan

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:41:26 pm »

We are evolving beyond the need for schools, and the liberty-minded will pioneer the way.

rossby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:47:04 pm »

We are evolving beyond the need for schools, and the liberty-minded will pioneer the way.

Don't think of a state university as template. If it were truly pro-liberty, I imagine it would be flexible and have actual ties to commerce and, uh, more connected to "real life". But I'm not really suggesting form or the extent of operations. Just posing a question.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 06:05:29 pm »

Not enough critical mass within the U.S.? How terribly sad...

In NH.

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:53:45 am »

Don't think of a state university as template. If it were truly pro-liberty, I imagine it would be flexible and have actual ties to commerce and, uh, more connected to "real life". But I'm not really suggesting form or the extent of operations. Just posing a question.

private - yes
pro-liberty - no (or at least not as a focus)
post-secondary - maybe, although allowing younger people would make for more options (for example a high school AP-level science course with labs)
school (college, university, etc.)  - no, bricks and mortar aren't the way to go. Consider more of a Craig's List for hooking up instructors with students. Build up the network first before committing capital.
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 12:57:35 pm »

I'll be discussing this on the Friendly Forum shortly. I have an idea similar to both of yours and I hope to start on the project soon.

Luck

• FSP Participant
Starting Liberty College in NH
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:01:50 pm »

* I want to start a college in Manchester asap to teach how to achieve Liberty. I want to teach Libertarianism, U.S. & world history, politics, history of religion, mythology, philosophy, relationships, health, self-defense, science, tech etc.
* It might be called Liberty College. Needs for the college are:
1. cheap space for classrooms
2. partners to help organize
3. teachers
4. students
* I also want it to use the internet quite a bit in order to collaborate nationwide and worldwide, including using video sites like Youtube.
* Comments, questions?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:03:53 pm by Luck »

Uncle Walt

Re: Starting Liberty College in NH
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:12:07 pm »

Ummmmm ... why not offer the "libertarian" classes at the Manchester community college?

I know most community colleges out here, anybody can offer to teach/lecture courses they don't believe are met by the college's regular curriculum.  IE; hobbies, self-defense, etc.

That way, you don't have to compete for students for classes that are already offered by a local college. (IE; science, tech, history, etc)

Of course, if you want your courses "accredited", that's another matter.

Floridian

• Friend of FSP
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 04:34:21 pm »

Yes.  There is always a market for any product or service that provides sufficient value to the individual who purchases it.  The focus needs to be on the practical value of the education and what can be achieved by obtaining it.  Anyone trying to put together such an institution needs to hyperfocus on providing useful skills and experiences.

There is a very successful 8,000-student university here in Orlando that started very small in a modest old office building 30 years ago.  It is called Full Sail. www.fullsail.edu They do a great job of preparing students for careers in entertainment media.  I haven't been involved with Full Sail, but it seems to be an innovative combination of a trade school and a college.  This might be a good model or starting point for envisioning a pro-liberty school.
Tu ne cede malis.

creaganlios

Re: Starting Liberty College in NH
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 06:40:01 pm »

* I want to start a college in Manchester asap to teach how to achieve Liberty. I want to teach Libertarianism, U.S. & world history, politics, history of religion, mythology, philosophy, relationships, health, self-defense, science, tech etc.

1) Why?
2) Who do you expect your customers to be?
3) Do you hope to offer courses, degrees, or accredited degrees, and in what?
4) What will a graduate have as a result of purchasing this education?
5) Why should a student enroll in your school, rather than any other?  What is your competitive edge, your product differentiation, your 'special sauce?'

Understand that I am not opposed to what you may want to do....as the Chair of a College Business Department, who has taught in two colleges, I am intrigued and might even be interested.  But as such, I need to see a real vision and not a fly-by-night, hey lets=talk-about-freedom-and-call-it-college stuff.

creaganlios

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 06:41:59 pm »

There seems to be two different threads addressing this same issue...is there some way to merge them?

creaganlios

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 06:44:11 pm »

Why not just convinve George Mason or Hillsdale to open up a satellite campus here?

freedomroad

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 06:45:28 pm »

There seems to be two different threads addressing this same issue...is there some way to merge them?

Good idea.  Done.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up