Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Is there a market for a private, pro-liberty post-secondary school (college, university, etc.) in New Hampshire?

Yes
- 21 (72.4%)
No
- 4 (13.8%)
Uncertain; explanation below.
- 4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: A Private Pro-Liberty School in New Hampshire?  (Read 52482 times)

LiftsBoxes

Re: A Private Pro-Liberty School in New Hampshire?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 09:04:38 pm »

Well, I'm qualified to teach history and geography.  My wife is qualified to teach English and writing.  I could also scare up a Hebrew teacher for foreign language instruction.  Just have to figure out a way to coordinate and get things moving ...
"Bother!" said Pooh as he chambered another round.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 12:19:47 am »

I'm not 100% sure about the law, but I believe that it's against the law to teach kids in a school setting without having an education degree. 

Worst law ever.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

BigJoe

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 05:31:15 am »

I'm not 100% sure about the law, but I believe that it's against the law to teach kids in a school setting without having an education degree. 

Worst law ever.

sounds like a great opportunity for some civl disobedience.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 09:26:49 am »

How can it be the 'worst law ever', if your not even sure about it?
And by the way... no, its not.

antistate1190

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 12:18:37 pm »

Well, let's hear it!
I was thinking the exact same thing! I'm concerned about our next generation and how they will be educated. Not everyone has the ability to homeschool so setting up a Liberty school for k-12 would be an excellent idea.

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 07:59:50 am »

I was thinking the exact same thing! I'm concerned about our next generation and how they will be educated. Not everyone has the ability to homeschool so setting up a Liberty school for k-12 would be an excellent idea.

When I move, whenever that is, this is going to be one of my priorities.

Make it "tutoring", rather than an institutional "school", and I don't think any law can stop it.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

creaganlios

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 08:12:05 am »

1000 % false.

FreeStyle

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 10:50:04 am »

anyone in the know care to clarify? 

max was wrong on the internet?  talking out of his bum?  No wAY!!!

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2010, 11:48:08 am »

It is false. Individual states set their own requirements for public schools (see http://certificationmap.com/) but private schools dont have the same requirements.

On the original point though I would be extremely hesitant to send my (future) children to a school that was pro any particular viewpoint (be it liberty, cake or death). Learning is about being exposed to many different ideas, ideally with as little bias in their presentation as possible, and not about teaching viewpoints. In addition I don't consider it good for a parent to indoctrinate a child in to liberty anymore then it is good to do so for religion.

The ideal would be for a good Sudbury School to open in the state. Lets kids choose what they want to learn and from whom.

creaganlios

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 05:35:39 pm »

This thread continues to blur the idea of whether it is a high school or a college that is being discussed, and the difference *does* have practical repurcussions.  One of them  is the 'legitmacy' of the degree in the eyes of the world...to the extent that that matters to those enrolling in them.

One of the 'monopolies' that exists (and its private collusion, not government-imposed....food for thought, anarchists..) is the 'accredidation' conferred on colleges by the Regional accrediting associations (NEASC is the one that covers New England).  While having standards is a positive aspect of the accredidation process, the regiona accediitng bodies (and the colleges they approve) have assumed a "no-one-can-compete-with-us' approach to accredidation.  The reality is , there IS legimtiate scholarship OUTSIDE of the regionally-accredited bodies (as well as matchbook-cover diploma mills)

What would REALLY frost the buns of the Powers that Be would not be a mere 'Liberty School..."  but a new accrediting body that threatens the monopoly of the Rgeionals and whose mere existence would engender entrepreneurial efforts at starting multiple schools from multiple perspectives.

HendrikVrij

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 02:56:50 am »

Question from a foreign FreeStater that wants to move to NH way before the 20k mark.

Is it possible to apply to your soon-to-be-made Liberty College and then apply for a student-visa? I am looking for any way possible to be able to stay in the US (short of staying illegally, since it would be very hard to find work)

Please let me know your thoughts

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2010, 07:40:58 pm »

I don't see it as a university at all. I'm thinking grammar school.

By the time a student reaches highschool level work, they're either independent learners, or they're taking basic classes at the community college.

The point of a "liberty school" is not to indoctrinate, it's to instruct in basics. Math, reading, writing, and logical reasoning.

Government taught not as an ideal, but as a practical matter. That one change from what govt-run schools teach is part of logic. It's one thing to teach "here is the Constitution, isn't it great? That's why we pay taxes." It's entirely another matter to point out how reality differs from fantasy, be it in govt, religion, or history.

I was talking to my daughter today about this "liberty school". I would design it around the one-room-schoolhouse idea, with computers added.

Each student gets a subscription to Time4Learning.com, with a parent-student-instructor agreed upon daily requirement like "two lessons a day" (which is very easy to do), and when the student does a test the instructor will help the student understand any question they didn't get right.

Then there are group lessons, such as "addition & subtraction", "multiplication and subtraction", "fractions", "algebra", etc. The students who are at that level attend, regardless of age. Students who already know it help teach those learning. Questions are encouraged.

Someone takes a trip to NYC, they bring back pictures and present the trip to anyone interested. This teaches public speaking, with a question/answer period after the presentation.

The ham radio operator from the next town over comes by and presents what he does and how, with a question/answer period after the presentation. Dave Ridley can drop by and talk about his work. Etc, etc, etc.

I love reading Shakespeare plays out-loud, but there's no reason not to act it out if folks want to.

When I was in 4th and 5th grade, I was in an "open" school. It didn't work at all for me because they were so hung up on the fact I didn't make a "schedule" for myself every morning that nothing else happened _at_all_. But what struck me is that, with a little bit of motivation (like two or three or four Time4Learning.com lessons each day) to bring up subjects of inquiry, the rest of the day could easily be spent looking up interesting things that had been mentioned in those lessons.

"Shackelton did WHAT? Really? WOW!" etc.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 09:45:23 am »

Your school taught you the constitution is GREAT?

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2010, 11:14:33 am »

Your school taught you the constitution is GREAT?

They treated it like the Bible, as if it were Divinely inspired.

"See this part, and this part? These are why America is the greatest country on Earth, and why you are the most prosperous and free. Liberty! Freedom! And taxes are what pays for that freedom. The Soviet Union over there, they don't have the American Constitution, that's why they're all dirty and want to kill you with nuclear weapons they stole from US!"

Seriously. Don't forget the busts of Lincoln and FDR, saviors of America and paragons of all that is good and holy.

If you think Public School sucks now, you should have seen it in the 1960s when policies were set by The Greatest Generation, before their coddled liberal-arts commie offspring took it over to implement every social planning fad of the week.

Mind you, they didn't actually teach the Constitution, it was up on the wall to worship.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 11:55:10 am »

I was taught by the public schools that the reason the various constitutions are 'living' documents,  so that they may be amended. Something that needs to be amended is obviously 'flawed'.
I don't think I every had a civics teacher that held the constitution could do more than limit majority whim... and even that only for an instance if they were paying respect to it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up