Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Living in NH and working in Boston?  (Read 17546 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: Living in NH and working in Boston?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 01:47:26 pm »

I've done Boston and north shore probably a hundred times over the years.  I believe that the easiest commute is from Seabrook, where I live.  It's a straight I-95 to Route 1 all the way down, and you rarely hit traffic until you're in Boston itself.  Seabrook is handy because you're right on the freeway, and you rarely hit too much traffic anywhere--except Route 1 during the summer.

I was surprised to learn that Seabrook was indeed the fastest way to Boston compared to Nashua or Manchester (but only by 5-10 mins) according to Google Maps.  However you do have to go through several toll roads no matter where you're coming from, how are the prices?

I've never paid any tolls going toward Boston--until you actually get into Boston.  The traffic on 95 has generally been milder and more predictable.  In fact, the first time I heard about Seabrook was from folks in Manchester who had to commute to the Boston area and wanted a quicker way in.  Tons of people from Seabrook (especially those living near the freeway) make the commute to Boston, Newburyport, Amesbury, Lowell, etc.

It's been one of the town's strongest selling points... plus we rarely pay tolls. ;D
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Brettp76

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 04:17:46 am »

From a pure commuting perspective to downtown Boston the Seabrook area is hard to beat. However, for a bit longer of a commute you could live in a city like Nashua-Hudson as opposed to a small town. Nashua gives you all the retail shopping you can dream of with a small city feel, easy access to Manchester (Taproom Tuesday's), and a reaonable drive to Keene and Concord. If things don't work out in downtown Boston, Nashua offers the best access to jobs around the 128 and 495.   
"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." Ayn Rand

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 04:19:50 am »

True, but Seabrook gives you the small town with easy access to Amesbury, Newburyport, Portsmouth, and the beach.

And there are no tolls until you actually reach Boston.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Brettp76

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 04:53:51 pm »

No disagreement here, it's all up to the mover's preferences. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." Ayn Rand

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 08:47:03 pm »

I think that it also depends a lot on what kind of activism you want to get into.  There are so many things going on in New Hampshire.  If your main thing is local politics and volunteer type stuff, then the seacoast is where it's at.  If your main interest is state politics, then you might want to compare your commute time with Concord and work.  To be honest, Salem can be almost as far a drive from Concord as Hampton or Portsmouth.  If you like the seacoast better (I do, and few people leave here once they settle), then you might consider the milder climate and beach access offered here. 

As a movement, we have not yet staked out the most important swing voting districts, though I think we should.  That way, folks concerned mainly with State issues can get a hint about where to settle.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 07:56:08 am »

I think that it also depends a lot on what kind of activism you want to get into.  There are so many things going on in New Hampshire.  If your main thing is local politics and volunteer type stuff, then the seacoast is where it's at. 

You can get involved in 'local politics' no matter where you live in New Hampshire.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 08:02:30 pm »

I bet that's why they call it "local politics" !
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 09:00:03 pm »

The 93 corridor is getting a lot of people who love State House activism, while Cheshire County is getting lots of CD-nonvoter-protester types.  The seacoast is getting a lot more low key, local activism folks.  Lots of seacoasters are running for or serving in local positions, and most are focusing in on local media or local politics.  Northern New Hampshire is getting a lot of the "leave me alone coalition," and there's something altogether different going on up there.

Kamekazi Seagull

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 02:31:58 am »

Are there any commuter trains going from the Seacoast to Boston?

freedomroad

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 07:51:40 am »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up