Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Climategate & Global Warming is a Hoax news stories  (Read 64845 times)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: Climategate & Global Warming is a Hoax news stories
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2011, 01:48:01 pm »

The ugliness of the "Green Movement" keeps rearing its ugly head.

Liberals elevate global warming and the environment into a moral imperative, thereby giving them leverage to exploit authoritarian government with little push back

But I loved in the last GOP debate when Newt Gingrich reminded people that the "green economy" is one giant tax loophole, corny capitalism, neo-fascism. Whatever you call it.

But the Solyndra story, and Evergreen Solar across the border in MA are disgusting. Half a billion of taxpayer dollars and corrupt regulatory shortcuts went to pump up Obama's business project, that had no natural supply and no natural demand. Government controlled economy at its worst, and no one will say a peep because fighting global warming is so noble.
The woman from the First Nation wasn't a liberal... she was a snowmobiler. What your talking about is an agenda not based on science. I'm quite sure those solar panels had a carbon footprint, possibly higher than other formats when honestly compared.

Alex Libman

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2011, 02:25:05 pm »

The alarmist propaganda machine is in overdrive...

Take this piece that recently made Slashdot - Diamond Planets, Climate Change, and The Scientific Method.  The proposition of that attack is so stupid I don't even know how to summarize it - "no one found our completely unrelated astrophysicists research controversial, which proves that skepticism of the global warming agenda is a right wing conspiracy", or something like that.  Well, perhaps your premise and your evidence simply checks out, and there is no urgency to question it?!  After all, astrophysicists studying pulsars haven't been running around political halls with computer models based on data where the error margins are greater than the alleged temperature change!  The study of pulsars many lightyears away does not (yet?) provide the most convenient excuse by which governments can greatly increase and consolidate their power!  Astrophysicists departments usually don't attract biased hippies trying to "save the world"!  If Hollywood ever makes a stupid apocalypse movie about a diamond planet hurling toward the earth, it will not be shown in every government science classroom to promote world government!  Etc, etc, etc...

Also, a recent episode of The Colbert Report hit the commie trifecta - Al Gore, Paul Krugman, and a segment bashing Ron Paul...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:27:47 pm by Alex Libman »

Alex Libman

« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2011, 04:24:58 pm »

From Fox News -- Nobel Prize-Winning Physicist Resigns Over Global Warming --

The global warming theory left him out in the cold.

Dr. Ivar Giaever, a former professor with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and the 1973 winner of the Nobel Prize in physics, abruptly announced his resignation Tuesday, Sept. 13, from the premier physics society in disgust over its officially stated policy that "global warming is occurring".

The official position of the American Physical Society (APS) supports the theory that man's actions have inexorably led to the warming of the planet, through increased emissions of carbon dioxide.

Giaever does not agree - and put it bluntly and succinctly in the subject line of his email, reprinted at Climate Depot, a website devoted to debunking the theory of man-made climate change.

"I resign from APS", Giaever wrote.

Giaever was cooled to the statement on warming theory by a line claiming that "the evidence is incontrovertible".

"In the APS it is ok to discuss whether the mass of the proton changes over time and how a multi-universe behaves, but the evidence of global warming is incontrovertible?" he wrote in an email to Kate Kirby, executive officer of the physics society.

"The claim … is that the temperature has changed from ~288.0 to ~288.8 degree Kelvin in about 150 years, which (if true) means to me is that the temperature has been amazingly stable, and both human health and happiness have definitely improved in this 'warming' period," his email message said.

A spokesman for the APS confirmed to FoxNews.com that the Nobel Laureate had declined to pay his annual dues in the society and had resigned. He also noted that the society had no plans to revise its statement.

The use of the word "incontrovertible" had already caused debate within the group, so much so that an addendum was added to the statement discussing its use in April, 2010.

"The word 'incontrovertible' ... is rarely used in science because by its very nature, science questions prevailing ideas. The observational data indicate a global surface warming of 0.74 °C (+/- 0.18 °C) since the late 19th century."

Giaever earned his Nobel for his experimental discoveries regarding tunneling phenomena in superconductors. He has since become a vocal dissenter from the alleged "consensus" regarding man-made climate fears, Climate Depot reported, noting that he was one of more than 100 co-signers of a 2009 letter to President Obama critical of his position on climate change.

Public perception of climate change has steadily fallen since late 2009. A Rasmussen Reports public opinion poll from August noted that 57 percent of adults believe there is significant disagreement within the scientific community on global warming, up five points from late 2009.

The same study showed that 69 percent of those polled believe it’s at least somewhat likely that some scientists have falsified research data in order to support their own theories and beliefs. Just 6 percent felt confident enough to report that such falsification was "not at all likely".
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:44:53 am by Alex Libman »

Alex Libman

« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2011, 04:45:14 pm »

From Forbes, OpEd by James Taylor -- Global Warming: A 98% Consensus Of Nothing --

During last night's [Sep 7th] Republican presidential debate, Jon Huntsman doubled down on Al Gorism, claiming skeptics of "global climate disruption" (that's the White House's term) are making "comments that fly in the face of what 98 out of 100 climate scientists have said". Just as moderator John Harris of Politico asked Rick Perry to name some of the scientists he agrees with, Harris should have asked Huntsman just what the "98 out of 100 climate scientists" believe.

In the "survey" to which Huntsman alluded, scientists were invited to participate in a two-question online survey. Despite what Huntsman said, not even 100 climate scientists chose to participate. The two questions were simple:

1.  Have global temperatures risen during the past 200 years?

and

2.  Are humans a significant contributing factor to this?

Forgetting for the moment that only shameless activists or the most statistically and scientifically ignorant of persons would claim that a survey sample of only 77 scientists volunteering to participate in a survey is indicative of what the entire climate science community believes, the questions and answers themselves tell us nothing.

To illustrate, I will answer the survey:

Q1.  "When compared with pre-1800s levels, do you think that mean global temperatures have generally risen, fallen, or remained relatively constant?"

James Taylor Answer: Risen

Q2.  "Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?"

James Taylor Answer: Yes

Regarding the first question, in the early 1800s the world was in the grips of the Little Ice Age, which brought about the planet's coldest temperatures since the last ice age epoch ended roughly 10,000 years ago. The answer to Question 1 is not only "risen", but more appropriately (and sarcastically) "Duh!" (And it's a good thing the answer is "risen". Only the most zealous and delusional of global warming activists would argue the Little Ice Age brought about beneficial climate conditions.)

Regarding the second question, is human activity a significant contributing factor? Notice how the question did not say "sole factor", "majority factor", or even "primary contributing factor". Rather, the term is merely "significant contributing factor". More precisely, if human activity is not a "significant" contributing factor then it must be an "insignificant" contributing factor. What is the threshold between "significant" and "insignificant"? Five percent? Ten Percent? The threshold of "insignificance" is certainly no higher than that.

So, are humans responsible for at least 10 percent or so of recent global warming? In other words, are humans responsible for roughly -- and merely -- 0.06 degrees Celsius of warming during the past century? Most global warming "skeptics" certainly believe that!

The real question is, "So what?"

From the assertion that humans may have caused roughly 0.06 degrees of warming during the past century, it does not necessarily follow, as Huntsman and his fellow alarmists would have us believe, that humans are creating a global warming crisis. Nor does it necessarily follow that we must wreck our economy to fight it. I suspect that even the most sensitive of plant and animal species will not notice a 0.06 degree increase in temperature, especially when such a miniscule temperature increase is spread out over the course of a century.

So then, just what do "98 out of 100 climate scientists" believe? Nothing of significance, unless you like to misrepresent meaningless surveys to score cheap political points.

Other recent writings by James Taylor:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:44:49 pm by Alex Libman »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2011, 08:55:46 pm »

Now your applying politics as if it were science.

Alex Libman

« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2011, 05:46:26 am »

You need to make a greater effort to coherently communicate whatever you're trying to say, or simply stop polluting this thread.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2011, 11:01:39 am »

Coherent?
Your suggesting that politics is based on science.

The author was pointing out that science was being used to score cheap political points...

Alex Libman

« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2011, 04:39:40 pm »

You're still being incoherent.  Where am I suggesting that current politics are "based on science"?

Alex Libman

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:38:56 pm by Alex Libman »

Alex Libman

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2011, 12:11:43 pm »

I've said something in my previous post that I now sorta regret...  It was just a Copyfree purist inside joke, but it could be taken out of context and cited as evidence of intellectual dishonesty, so now I must clarify...

It seems that Al Gore's little propaganda piece was so unpopular
that I still can't find any way to download the video!

It's still not on any BitTorrent networks, YouTube, etc...

I've made that jab about the popularity of Gore's Orwellian propaganda piece obviously knowing that it only reflected my own TV-less Flash-less perspective.  Most people can watch it on ClimateRealityProject.org via Flash, and Windows users can download it using tools like Orbit Grab+.  I was just saying that it's still nowhere to be found on P2P networks or any other place I can easily download it via Copyfree software.  (Coincidentally, Al Gore's growing prominence on Apple's board of directors is yet another reason to go Copyfree.)  I've made similar jokes in the past about Free Talk Live being immensely bigger than Rush Limbaugh, because the latter is completely inaccessible and off-radar to people who don't use 20th century radio and don't have a paid subscription on his site.

Unfortunately a few "skeptic" articles are now trying to claim that Gore's sermon was unpopular with the public at large, and that position is both inaccurate and dangerous.  One example of this is an article titled "Whose Reality is it Anyway?", which attempted to analyze Alexa rankings, and was referenced by another article called "Al Gore's five loaves and two fishes", which was featured on Drudge Report.  The evidence they present is circumstantial and misleading.  For example, much of the bandwidth from Gore's event would be tracked for the third party video streaming services that hosted it (ex. ).  Furthermore, that event aired around the world - including many places where tinpot dictators stand to benefit from the climate hysteria, and have substantial control over what their serfs can watch on their government-controlled Tee Vee.

The numbers on their YouTube channel (currently 429 subscribers and 6,274 views - compared, for example, to Ridley's 9,035 subs and 6,491,435 views) are irrelevant - even though it is linked to from every page on their site, the link is in the footer and not very prominent, and the channel offers only a few partial clips.  Their Facebook "like" numbers (currently 121,342) are also a misleading underestimate.  Resist the temptation to belittle their popularity!  It could even be a deliberate trap!  Remember that Al Gore actually won the election in 2000, and candidates with similar positions can do it again - especially abroad.  Al Gore would have a good chance of being elected "world president" as well.  Real science is not a democracy, but people who get to fund and control "government science" are indeed very talented at manipulating public opinion.

I've always accepted that, while logic and real unbiased science remains on our side, the advantage of popular opinion was firmly in the hands of the alarmists - after all, the vast majority of the world's population believes the governmental power-grab Gore and pals are trying to institute would pay them substantial dividends in the form of political favors.

The hysteria may be "green", but it ain't AstroTurf - at least if one doesn't broaden that term to also be applicable to movements like Communism or Islam, which obviously have immense grassroots support.  Like many other religions throughout history, they've bribed and brainwashed millions, possibly billions of people.  The scientific merits of their alarmism is fraudulent, but their popularity ratings are not.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:18:09 pm by Alex Libman »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2011, 09:07:41 pm »

Nope. Logic and unbiased science remains opposed.

To suggest that atmospheric and oceanic tempering does not affect the climate; and that the chemical composition of either is does not affect this tempering simply goes against scientific understanding.

Alex Libman

« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2011, 10:26:02 pm »

No one is claiming that the human civilization or panda bear farts don't "affect the climate" to some small degree.  I've already answered your repetitive nonsense and told you to look at the numbers.  Let me write the word "numbers" in a very large font so you can see it better:

Numbers!
Numbers!
Numbers!

I suppose this is what some people call "trolling"...  I really should stop clicking "Show" on John Edward Mercier's posts...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up