Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: RTW rally at the Capitol  (Read 6611 times)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: RTW rally at the Capitol
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 08:11:20 am »

New Hampshire Constitution, Part II, Art. 44:

"Every bill which shall have passed both houses of the general court, shall, before it becomes a law, be presented to the governor, if he approves, he shall sign it, but if not, he shall return it, with his objections, to that house in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the objections at large on their journal, and proceed to reconsider it; if after such reconsideration, two-thirds of that house shall agree to pass the bill, it shall be sent, together with such objections, to the other house, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and, if approved by two-thirds of that house, it shall become a law."

Doesn't say that they cannot amend it; the Constitution is silent on that.  I'm getting ready for some family showing up in a couple hours, so I don't have time to dig up a citation, but I'm relatively-certain that it's been done in the past.

It's a big deal for the state budget because state government employment is effectively "closed shop". It's not a big deal for private industry here. At best, it will reduce the size of labor costs on the state budget. And I suppose it's a symbolic victory. But still, far too much time and energy was wasted on this bill.

I'm sure it will have an effect.  And I'd support it if it were limited to government employees as a matter of principle: I don't approve of closed shops, personally, so I don't want to be forced to pay to support them.  But nothing very large would come of it.  As you note, certainly nothing to make reasonable the energy that's gone into this.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: RTW rally at the Capitol
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 10:26:02 am »

But can it have an effect? Can the Legislature 'direct' the Executive Branch?

The Legislature can cut the departmental budgets; placing a limit on expenditure...
But I'm not sure of their role in contracts directly.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up