Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Climategate & Global Warming is a Hoax news stories  (Read 64853 times)

MK

• AKA Markus
Climategate & Global Warming is a Hoax news stories
« on: January 31, 2010, 09:04:09 am »

I'd like to have a thread that features all the stories on Climategate (i.e.; global warming is a hoax) that report on any lies, fraud, or simply any story that reveals the truth about this hoax that's been "sold" to the American people by the mainstream (government) media, government education, government science and of course, the Gubernment.   

If you've got one, please post it here,  Also if you do post, please copy the entire story and paste it (as well as the link if you can) as links tend to disappear over time. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:07:05 am by Markus »
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

MK

• AKA Markus
Re: Climategate & the like Stories
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:05:37 am »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article7009081.ece

From The Times  January 30, 2010 (UK paper)

Climate chief was told of false glacier claims before Copenhagen
Most experts believe that the Himalayan glaciers will take centuries to melt

Ben Webster, Environment Editor
274 Comments
Recommend? (164)
The chairman of the leading climate change watchdog was informed that claims about melting Himalayan glaciers were false before the Copenhagen summit, The Times has learnt.

Rajendra Pachauri was told that the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change assessment that the glaciers would disappear by 2035 was wrong, but he waited two months to correct it. He failed to act despite learning that the claim had been refuted by several leading glaciologists.

The IPCC’s report underpinned the proposals at Copenhagen for drastic cuts in global emissions.

Dr Pachauri, who played a leading role at the summit, corrected the error last week after coming under media pressure. He told The Times on January 22 that he had only known about the error for a few days. He said: “I became aware of this when it was reported in the media about ten days ago. Before that, it was really not made known. Nobody brought it to my attention. There were statements, but we never looked at this 2035 number.”

Related Links
UN's rogue glacier claim 'just one page in report'
UN climate chief 'got grants through bogus claims'
Asked whether he had deliberately kept silent about the error to avoid embarrassment at Copenhagen, he said: “That’s ridiculous. It never came to my attention before the Copenhagen summit. It wasn’t in the public sphere.”

However, a prominent science journalist said that he had asked Dr Pachauri about the 2035 error last November. Pallava Bagla, who writes for Science journal, said he had asked Dr Pachauri about the error. He said that Dr Pachauri had replied: “I don’t have anything to add on glaciers.”

The Himalayan glaciers are so thick and at such high altitude that most glaciologists believe they would take several hundred years to melt at the present rate. Some are growing and many show little sign of change.

Dr Pachauri had previously dismissed a report by the Indian Government which said that glaciers might not be melting as much as had been feared. He described the report, which did not mention the 2035 error, as “voodoo science”.

Mr Bagla said he had informed Dr Pachauri that Graham Cogley, a professor at Ontario Trent University and a leading glaciologist, had dismissed the 2035 date as being wrong by at least 300 years. Professor Cogley believed the IPCC had misread the date in a 1996 report which said the glaciers could melt significantly by 2350.

Mr Pallava interviewed Dr Pachauri again this week for Science and asked him why he had decided to overlook the error before the Copenhagen summit. In the taped interview, Mr Pallava asked: “I pointed it out [the error] to you in several e-mails, several discussions, yet you decided to overlook it. Was that so that you did not want to destabilise what was happening in Copenhagen?”

Dr Pachauri replied: “Not at all, not at all. As it happens, we were all terribly preoccupied with a lot of events. We were working round the clock with several things that had to be done in Copenhagen. It was only when the story broke, I think in December, we decided to, well, early this month — as a matter of fact, I can give you the exact dates — early in January that we decided to go into it and we moved very fast.

“And within three or four days, we were able to come up with a clear and a very honest and objective assessment of what had happened. So I think this presumption on your part or on the part of any others is totally wrong. We are certainly never — and I can say this categorically — ever going to do anything other than what is truthful and what upholds the veracity of science.”

Dr Pacharui has also been accused of using the error to win grants worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

swamp_yankee

Re: Climategate & Global Warming is a Hoax news stories
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 12:22:05 pm »

Oldie, but goodie: Great Global Warming Swindle movie. Holds up ten times better than Inconvenient Truth.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5576670191369613647#

Alex Libman

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 12:38:45 pm »

I have a thread precisely like that on another BBS:

http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=31353.new

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:01 am »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/feb/01/leaked-emails-climate-jones-chinese

Leaked climate change emails scientist 'hid' data flaws

Exclusive: Key study by East Anglia professor Phil Jones was based on suspect figures
• How the location of weather stations in China undermines data
• How the 'climategate' scandal is bogus and based on climate sceptics' lies
Comments (574)
Buzz up!
Digg it (128)
Fred Pearce guardian.co.uk, Monday 1 February 2010 21.00 GMT Article history
Professor Phil Jones, who was director of the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) and a professor of environmental sciences at the University of East Anglia in Norwich. Photograph: University of East Anglia

Phil Jones, the beleaguered British climate scientist at the centre of the leaked emails controversy, is facing fresh claims that he sought to hide problems in key temperature data on which some of his work was based.

A Guardian investigation of thousands of emails and documents apparently hacked from the University of East Anglia's climatic research unit has found evidence that a series of measurements from Chinese weather stations were seriously flawed and that documents relating to them could not be produced.

Link to this audio Jones and a collaborator have been accused by a climate change sceptic and researcher of scientific fraud for attempting to suppress data that could cast doubt on a key 1990 study on the effect of cities on warming – a hotly contested issue.

Today the Guardian reveals how Jones withheld the information requested under freedom of information laws. Subsequently a senior colleague told him he feared that Jones's collaborator, Wei-­Chyung Wang of the University at Albany, had "screwed up".

The revelations on the inadequacies of the 1990 paper do not undermine the case that humans are causing climate change, and other studies have produced similar findings. But they do call into question the probity of some climate change science.

The apparent attempts to cover up problems with temperature data from the Chinese weather stations provide the first link between the email scandal and the UN's embattled climate science body, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, as a paper based on the measurements was used to bolster IPCC statements about rapid global warming in recent decades.

Wang was cleared of scientific fraud by his university, but new information brought to light today indicates at least one senior colleague had serious concerns about the affair.

It also emerges that documents which Wang claimed would exonerate him and Jones did not exist.

The revelations come at a torrid time for climate science, with the IPPC suffering heavy criticism for its use of information that had not been rigorously checked – in particular a false claim that all Himalayan glaciers could melt by 2035 – and UEA having been criticised last week by the deputy information commissioner for refusing valid requests for data under the Freedom of Information Act.

The Guardian has learned that of 105 freedom of information requests to the university concerning the climatic research unit (CRU), which Jones headed up to the end of December, only 10 had been released in full.

The temperature data from the Chinese weather stations measured the warming there over the past half century and appeared in a 1990 paper in the prestigious journal Nature, which was cited by the IPCC's latest report in 2007.

Climate change sceptics asked the UEA, via FOI requests, for location data for the 84 weather stations in eastern China, half of which were urban and half rural.

The history of where the weather stations were sited was crucial to Jones and Wang's 1990 study, as it concluded the rising temperatures recorded in China were the result of global climate changes rather the warming effects of expanding cities.

The IPCC's 2007 report used the study to justify the claim that "any urban-related trend" in global temperatures was small. Jones was one of two "coordinating lead authors" for the relevant chapter.

The leaked emails from the CRU reveal that the former director of the unit, Tom Wigley, harboured grave doubts about the cover-up of the shortcomings in Jones and Wang's work. Wigley was in charge of CRU when the original paper was published. "Were you taking W-CW [Wang] on trust?" he asked Jones. He continued: "Why, why, why did you and W-CW not simply say this right at the start?"

Jones said he was not able to comment on the story.

Wang said: "I have been exonerated by my university on all the charges. When we started on the paper we had all the station location details in order to identify our network, but we cannot find them any more.

"Some of the location changes were probably only a few metres, and where they were more we corrected for them."

In an interview with the Observer on Sunday Ed Miliband, the climate change secretary, warned of the danger of a public backlash against mainstream climate science over claims that scientists manipulated data. He declared a "battle" against the "siren voices" who denied global warming was real or caused by humans. "It's right that there's rigour applied to all the reports about climate change, but I think it would be wrong that when a mistake is made it's somehow used to undermine the overwhelming picture that's there," he said.

Last week the Information Commissioner's Office – the body that administers the Freedom of Information Act – said the University of East Anglia had flouted the rules in its handling of an FOI request in May 2008.

Days after receiving the request for information from the British climate change sceptic David Holland, Jones asked Prof Mike Mann of Pennsylvania State University in the United States: "Can you delete any emails you may have had with Keith [Briffa] re AR4? Keith will do likewise.

"Can you also email Gene [Eugene Wahl, a paleoclimatologist in Boulder, Colorado] and get him to do the same ... We will be getting Caspar [Ammann, also from Boulder] to do the same."

The University of East Anglia says that no emails were deleted following this exchange.

• For regular email updates on climate change and the environment sign up for the Guardian and Observer's Green light newsletter

Alex Libman

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 09:00:22 am »

I recently came across something that made the hairs on my head stand up - a major poll gauging the public opinion on Global Warming phrased its question as:  "Do you believe the theory that increased carbon dioxide and other gases released into the atmosphere will, if unchecked lead to global warming and an increase in average temperatures, or not?"

Wow...  Not only is that sentence grammatically incorrect, it is unquestionable blatant mis-framing of the question - "heads I win, tails you lose"!  There's no way anyone would honestly claim to disbelieve that infinite amounts of carbon dioxide and other unnamed gases over an indefinite period of time will eventually fuck things up!  But that has nothing to do with what we're dealing with here on Earth!

The relevant way to phrase this question would be...  "Do you believe sufficient scientific proof has been presented to conclude that:  (1) human activity is causing a change in the Earth climate, ruling out all natural explanations,  AND  (2) that this change is significant,  AND  (3) that this change is harmful,  AND  (4) that this change wouldn't correct itself automatically as humanity moves to more cost-effective technologies,  AND  (5) that global government regulation is the best way to deal with this problem,  AND  (6) that the side-effects of imposing a global government will not do more harm than good?"

And the factual answer to that is NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, and NO!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:02:16 am by Alex Libman »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 12:03:29 pm »

Actually your questions are also flawed.
They suggest that carbon dioxide and other GHGs created from one source are different when created from another source.
Congress has this same problem.
The significance of a change in atmospheric and oceanic composition would not need to be that great to create change.
Whether these 'effects' are considered harmful or not depends on your point of view.
And (4) completely fails to take into effect the collective effort to create inertia in technological improvement, or that the falling commodity prices of carbon rich energy sources would simply make their use more attractive.

Alex Libman

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 12:44:58 pm »

The GW alarmists typically acknowledge that over 95% of total CO2 emissions are non-anthropogenic, but they say the 1-5% that is is throwing the global equilibrium out of whack.  That's kind of silly because CO2 is only 0.0387% of the atmosphere.  Increasing it to 0.0389% for a few decades is not the end of the world - earth has experienced increases many orders of magnitude higher in the past.  The burden of proof remains in their field, where it has been for decades, and they only thing they've managed to prove so far is their capacity for violence and deceit!

Furthermore, the human race needs CO2 to grow more plants, since thanks to human stewardship the amount of plant biomass is expected to increase tremendously as we irrigate the deserts and other areas with relatively little rainfall, farm seaweed, build multistory greenhouses and massive floating cornfields on seas and oceans, etc, etc, etc.  The one thing that Earth is good for is farming - all pollution-producing activities can eventually be moved to space!

Space is where solar energy begins to make actual economic sense, where raw materials (i.e. asteroids) are much easier to mine without much gravity getting in your way, where transporting those materials is cheaper with zero air resistance, where massive nuclear power plants and robotized factories can be built without putting any residential neighborhoods in danger, etc, etc, etc.  I bet that if free markets are just allowed to work then by the end of this century we'll actually have to import CO2 back to Earth just to fertilize our crops!

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 10:07:31 pm »

No apology from IPCC chief Rajendra Pachauri for glacier fallacy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/feb/02/climate-change-pachauri-un-glaciers

Head of UN climate change body 'not at fault' for false claim Himalaya ice caps would melt by 2035
Comments (123)
Buzz up!
Digg it (19)
David Adam and Fred Pearce guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 2 February 2010 20.31 GMT Article history
Pachauri said it would be hypocritical to apologise for the false claim that Himalayan glaciers (above) could melt away by 2035. Photograph: Channi Anand/AP

The embattled chief of the UN's climate change body has hit out at his critics and refused to resign or apologise for a ­damaging mistake in a landmark 2007 report on global warming.

In an exclusive interview with the Guardian, Dr Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, said it would be hypocritical to apologise for the false claim that ­Himalayan glaciers could melt away by 2035, because he was not personally responsible for that part of the report. "You can't expect me to be personally responsible for every word in a 3,000 page report," he said.

The IPCC issued a statement that expressed regret for the mistake, but Pachauri said a personal apology would be a "populist" step.

"I don't do too many populist things, that's why I'm so unpopular with a certain section of society," he said.

In a robust defence of his position and of the science of climate change, Pachauri said:

• The mistake had seriously damaged the IPCC's credibility and boosted the efforts of climate sceptics.

• It was an isolated mistake, down to human error and "totally out of character" for the panel.

• It does not undermine the "basic truth" that human activity is causing temperatures to rise.

• That he would not resign and was ­subject to lies about his personal income and lifestyle.

Pachauri spoke as the second day of the Guardian's investigation into the emails stolen from the University of East Anglia reveals how climate scientists acted to keep research papers they did not like out of academic journals. One UEA scientist, Dr Keith Briffa, wrote to a colleague to ask him for help rejecting a paper from a journal which he edited. "Confidentially I now need a hard, and if required, extensive case for rejecting." The request apparently broke the convention that the review process should be independent and anonymous. Briffa was not able to comment because of an ongoing independent review into the stolen emails.

In another email, sent in March 2003, the leading US climate scientist Prof Michael Mann suggested ostracising a journal for publishing a paper that attacked his work.

"I think we have to stop considering Climate Research as a legitimate peer-reviewed journal. Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues … to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal." Mann denies any attempt to "stifle legitimate sceptical views".

The emails also reveal that one of the most influential data sets in climate science – the "hockey stick" graph of temperature over the past 1,000 years – was controversial not just with sceptics but among climate scientists themselves. "I know there is pressure to present a nice tidy story [in the forthcoming IPCC report], but in reality the situation is not quite so simple," wrote Briffa in September 1999.

In his Guardian interview, Pachauri defended the IPCC's use of so-called "grey literature" – sources outside peer-reviewed academic journals, such as reports from campaign groups, companies and student theses. The false Himalayan glacier claim came from a report by the green group WWF. He said reports of further errors in the IPCC report linked to grey literature were ­spurious and the result of a "factory" of people "only there to create pinpricks and get attention".

Stories that claimed errors about losses from natural disasters and Amazon destruction were false, he said. "We looked into that [Amazon claim] and we're totally satisfied that what's been stated in the report is totally valid."

The IPCC is beginning work on its next climate report, and Pachauri said it would stress to authors and reviewers the importance of checking sources. "Our procedures are very clear on the use of grey literature. Whenever an author uses grey literature they need to double check the source of information is authentic and defensible. People have been using grey literature for quite some time now. Apparently in this [Himalayan glacier] case there has been a failure because authors did not follow the procedures required."

To exclude such reports, he said, would give an incomplete picture. "The reality is that in several parts of the world, which will be influenced by the impacts of climate change, it's an unfortunate fact that we just don't have peer-reviewed material available."

Pachauri also rebutted newspapers' claims that he lives a lavish lifestyle and wears $1,000 suits. He said: "It's ridiculous and it's a bunch of lies."

His salary from the research institute that employs him is fixed in the range of 190,000 rupees (£2,600) a month, he said, while he receives only travel expenses for chairing the IPCC.

He added: "There is a tailor who stitches all my suits for 2,200 rupees (£30)."

The panel's report at the centre of the controversy said: "The likelihood of them [the Himalayan glaciers] disappearing by the year 2035 and perhaps sooner is very high," a statement referenced to a report by WWF, which had taken it from a magazine article. It was subsequently found to be wrong.

Questions were raised about the glacier claim in an article in the US journal Science in November, and again by the BBC on 5 December, leading to allegations that Pachauri had been told by Pallava Bagla, the Indian journalist who wrote both, that it was problematic, but failed to act.

But Pachauri said he had not become aware of the problem until January. "If he [Bagla] sent me an email and I didn't see it, I can only say that I'm sorry that I didn't see that email. A lot of my emails are handled by my office and I don't get to see them personally."

Pachauri also said he was taking steps to strengthen the staff employed by the panel. "We're in an information society today and we have to respond adequately and professionally. We've been weak in that regard to be honest. The IPCC is starting to realise we're living in a very different world to what we had in 1988.

"I think this [glacier] mistake has certainly cost us dear, there's no question about it," he said. "Everybody thought that what the IPCC brought out was the gold standard and nothing could go wrong. But look at the larger picture, don't get blinded by this one mistake.

"The larger picture is solid, it's convincing and it's extremely important. How can we lose sight of what climate change is going to do to this planet? What it's already doing to this planet?"

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 11:54:22 pm »

There is no global equilibrium.
There is only the knowledge that compounds such as CO2 have a lower and upper level which rates 'endangerment'.

As for GW theory, its actually pretty simple science basic science trying to be applied in a complex manner for which scientific teams do not currently have the answers. Which is why it is still highly debated. It would be like us debating a moon colony. The basic science for such exists, but its application is less than perfect.

Alex Libman

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 05:17:58 am »

The GW fans need to collect a couple hundred years worth of accurate trustworthy global satellite temperature reading and then get back to us.  They are basing their current conclusions on data so unreliable with error margins so high it is completely useless and can be interpreted to verify every preexisting "I wanna double my research grant and save the world" biases that any government scientist (not to be confused with a real scientist) will have.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 04:39:48 pm »

Again, your mixing applied and basic.
I could quadruple the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. The basic science would reason that this level would provide more absorbtion of the EM spectrum associated with the particular molecule. But it wouldn't take into account other factors that could lower the global mean temperature.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:33:03 pm by John Edward Mercier »

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 09:47:36 am »

(*For the Record, the DC area has recieved more than 2 feet of snow during the last couple of days)

RFK, Jr. 15 months ago: Global warming means no snow or cold in DC

By: David Freddoso
Online Opinion Editor
12/21/09 1:51 PM EST

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/RFK-79834057.html#ixzz0erTxtybh

Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who flies around on private planes so as to tell larger numbers of people how they must live their lives in order to save the planet, wrote a column last year on the lack of winter weather in Washington, D.C.

In Virginia, the weather also has changed dramatically. Recently arrived residents in the northern suburbs, accustomed to today's anemic winters, might find it astonishing to learn that there were once ski runs on Ballantrae Hill in McLean, with a rope tow and local ski club. Snow is so scarce today that most Virginia children probably don't own a sled. But neighbors came to our home at Hickory Hill nearly every winter weekend to ride saucers and Flexible Flyers.

In those days, I recall my uncle, President Kennedy, standing erect as he rode a toboggan in his top coat, never faltering until he slid into the boxwood at the bottom of the hill. Once, my father, Atty. Gen. Robert Kennedy, brought a delegation of visiting Eskimos home from the Justice Department for lunch at our house. They spent the afternoon building a great igloo in the deep snow in our backyard. My brothers and sisters played in the structure for several weeks before it began to melt. On weekend afternoons, we commonly joined hundreds of Georgetown residents for ice skating on Washington's C&O Canal, which these days rarely freezes enough to safely skate.

Meanwhile, Exxon Mobil and its carbon cronies continue to pour money into think tanks whose purpose is to deceive the American public into believing that global warming is a fantasy.

Having shoveled my walk five times in the midst of this past weekend's extreme cold and blizzard, I think perhaps RFK, Jr. should leave weather analysis to the meteorologists instead of trying to attribute every global phenomenon to anthropogenic climate change.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/RFK-79834057.html#ixzz0erTKo2gh

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 07:31:05 pm »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/feb/12/utah-climate-alarmists

Utah delivers vote of no confidence for 'climate alarmists'The US's most Republican state passes bill disputing science of climate change, claiming emissions are 'essentially harmless'

Suzanne Goldenberg, US environment correspondent guardian.co.uk, Friday 12 February 2010 18.20 GMT Article history
Carbon dioxide is "essentially harmless" to human beings and good for plants. So now will you stop worrying about global warming?

Utah's House of Representatives apparently has at least. Officially the most Republican state in America, its political masters have adopted a resolution condemning "climate alarmists", and disputing any scientific basis for global warming.

The measure, which passed by 56-17, has no legal force, though it was predictably claimed by climate change sceptics as a great victory in the wake of the controversy caused by a mistake over Himalayan glaciers in the UN's landmark report on global warming.

But it does offer a view of state politicians' concerns in Utah which is a major oil and coal producing state.

The original version of the bill dismissed climate science as a "well organised and ongoing effort to manipulate and incorporate "tricks" related to global temperature data in order to produce a global warming outcome". It accused those seeking action on climate change of riding a "gravy train" and their efforts would "ultimately lock billions of human beings into long-term poverty".

In the heat of the debate, the representative Mike Noel said environmentalists were part of a vast conspiracy to destroy the American way of life and control world population through forced sterilisation and abortion.

By the time the final version of the bill came to a vote, cooler heats apparently prevailed. The bill dropped the word "conspiracy", and described climate science as "questionable" rather than "flawed".

However, it insisted – against all evidence – that the hockey stick graph of changing temperatures was discredited. It also called on the federal government's Environmental Protection Agency to order an immediate halt in its moves to regulate greenhouse gas emissions "until a full and independent investigation of climate data and global warming science can be substantiated".

As Noel explained: "Sometimes ... we need to have the courage to do nothing."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 12:45:14 am »

The EPA hasn't made any movement based on global temperatures... that may be the perception, but not the fact.
It would be like stating that Cap & Trade is based on climate science.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Up