Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there many atheist-anarcho-capitalists / rationalists in NH?  (Read 8891 times)

Individualist

Hi,

Not to put too fine a point on it, but are there any rationalists in NH?

How many free-staters are "Christian-libertarians"?

-Individualist

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: Are there many atheist-anarcho-capitalists / rationalists in NH?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:51:34 pm »

There are about even numbers of believers and non-believers, and about even numbers of anarchos and minarchos.  There's a broad spectrum of folks in the FSP, and you're likely to find dozens of people here who are precisely in line with your views.

That's the cool thing about this project.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Individualist

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:07:05 pm »

There are about even numbers of believers and non-believers, and about even numbers of anarchos and minarchos.  There's a broad spectrum of folks in the FSP, and you're likely to find dozens of people here who are precisely in line with your views.

Hi,

Specifically do you know of any ancap atheist groups? Where I might find them online, etc.

Thanks,
-Individualist

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 05:24:28 pm »

Hi,

Specifically do you know of any ancap atheist groups? Where I might find them online, etc.

Thanks,
-Individualist

Freekeene.com has many of them.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:19:56 pm »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but are there any rationalists in NH?

How many free-staters are "Christian-libertarians"?
depending on how you define the terms ... and how fine a point you put on it
I could be both.
There are many of both here.
We also have many people who have moved that love to put very fine labels on people. You will feel right at home here.
I even had one of my friends leave us in NH, because there were not enough Christian-Anarchists in our area.
So you will  be one of the boys here.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Individualist

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 03:15:26 am »

Hey thanks.

Can anyone tell me what the university scene is like there? Good, bad, ugly?

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 09:25:22 am »

Agnostics seem to be the largest "contingent."  Libertarians are not inclined to take things on faith, and both "there is a god" and "there is no god" are faith-based statements.  Even the spiritual folks tend to be agnostic about anything outside their own personal experience.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 10:12:18 am »

Hey thanks.

Can anyone tell me what the university scene is like there? Good, bad, ugly?

I guess it depends on what you mean by scene.

There are:
UNH
Dartmouth
New England College
etc
etc
etc
Each has a different scene... some are 'night schools'  some are more expensive. etc

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 01:37:50 pm »

The highest ratio of ancaps will be found in Keene, which is also a college town.  Visit http://forum.freekeene.com and see 111+ reasons to move to Keene at http://move.freekeene.com
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 08:22:08 am »

We have lots of Christian Libertarians, like it or not.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

freedomroad

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 09:27:58 am »

Really?  The Libertarian Party doesn't seem so strong in NH  :D  I'd say there is a lot more of the "atheist-anarcho-capitalists" types.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 09:36:18 am »

Really?  The Libertarian Party doesn't seem so strong in NH  :D  I'd say there is a lot more of the "atheist-anarcho-capitalists" types.

Pardon me, Christian libertarians (not Christian Libertarians).
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Brettp76

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 07:40:26 pm »

Not.  :P

If by atheist and rationalist you mean of the Ayn Rand/Objectivist variety here's the FB group:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=49289980660

I'm a serious Objectivist and though I don't dominate the discussions I'm also one of the organizers of The Nashua Weekly Liberty Discourse:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120035834535

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." Ayn Rand

Alex Libman

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 01:04:48 am »

I think it is very important to distinguish between different levels of atheism.  I think that political atheism (i.e. anarchism), economic atheism (i.e. capitalism), epistemological atheism (i.e. evolutionary pragmatism), reproductive atheism (i.e. rational natalism), etc are just as important as religious atheism.  As far as I know - I am the only real atheist in the known universe.  ;)

Furthermore, religion is a cultural issue as subjective as clothing or language.  Most people accept religion like any other cultural irrationality - useless neckties, inconsistent English spelling, the imperial system of weights and measures, and so on.  Don't be too quick to prejudge people just because they're "religious".  A person who accepts that 2 + 2 add up to 4 out of blind faith is a better ally than a critically-thinking "atheist" fool who thinks they add up to 3 or 5!

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 01:03:59 pm »

I think it is very important to distinguish between different levels of atheism.  I think that political atheism (i.e. anarchism), economic atheism (i.e. capitalism), epistemological atheism (i.e. evolutionary pragmatism), reproductive atheism (i.e. rational natalism), etc are just as important as religious atheism.  As far as I know - I am the only real atheist in the known universe.  ;)

Furthermore, religion is a cultural issue as subjective as clothing or language.  Most people accept religion like any other cultural irrationality - useless neckties, inconsistent English spelling, the imperial system of weights and measures, and so on.  Don't be too quick to prejudge people just because they're "religious".  A person who accepts that 2 + 2 add up to 4 out of blind faith is a better ally than a critically-thinking "atheist" fool who thinks they add up to 3 or 5!

You're confusing atheism and agnosticism.

Atheism is every iota as much a statement of irrational faith as any other religion.  With the added irrationality that "there exists no deity" is not a logically-provable statement, whereas "there exists a deity" might be.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up