Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Political Strategy Opinion  (Read 2906 times)

Del

• I'm a llama!
A Political Strategy Opinion
« on: June 07, 2003, 10:08:43 pm »

I think that the project would have a much greater prospect of success if they broadened their potential political base. I would sign on to alot of what you guys talking about, and I think it's a neat idea, but it is quite a bit too extreme for me. I couldn't support the elimination of commerce regulations or the complete dismantling of ALL welfare; and such a severe level of privatization kinda makes me worry, generally, that we would just be headed for a feudal-like system.

I believe in the need for a strong central authority which is accountable to the people. In the absence of such an authority, a modern equivalent of feudal lords, with no such accountability, would emerge. You can't have a government that provides only an army, a police force, and a legal system. In the old days, those two might have been enough, but with the incredible power that wealth wields nowadays any government would be impotent without SOME basic sovereignty over commerce and the ability to break up NGOs (i.e. corporations) that grow so large they threaten its supreme position.

We are arguably in the danger zone of being overrun by large corporations as it is now.. I would like to see the death of the federal nanny state, accomplished by a shift of discretion back to the states on social policy issues.... and I agree on a number of other points.. but for the reasons stated above I could never support the Free State Project under its current charter.

Matt

P.S.: Not entirely relevant, but to clarify my personal position a point further, I suppose I COULD support the total elimination of economic welfare, depending on the implementation.  And in any case I would like to see it replaced by REAL education reform and miscellaneous programs with an emphasis on teaching social and cultural values necessary for success.  If it was not, it could be a pretty explosive situation (it could be a pretty explosive situation in any case.. though perhaps not on the small level of which the project speaks).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2003, 10:14:21 pm by Del »

BobW

• I'm a llama!
Re:A Political Strategy Opinion
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 10:40:31 pm »

Hi Matt,

Believe it or not, this site of the FSP has more common sense and less "crazies" than most other politically oriented sites.  Do note this is open to the public and not restricted to participants.  Two elected officials participate here.

If you disregard the stupid material getting posted, the FSP project is realistic and not anti-American.  Read my posts (there's a feature built in this website to do this) and you'll see my concurrence ref your view on commerce regulations (although there is an immediate need for 100% review with changes as required).

A "severe level of privatation" causes economic prosperity.  you should not worry.

The problem today is that the United States has a strong central authority AND ALSO contemporary feudal lords with no (actually "little"; when challenged, they retreat).

It was in 1977 that the Carter Administration, with GOP support exerted it's power to control corporations.  This was expressed in the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, although the reasons were hidden from the public.

Actually, corporations are now weak compared to the US Government.  A classic example; the US loss of Flying Tiger Lines, the world's largest cargo airline .

I can't address all aspects of your above post.  I don't know much about social and cultural values.

BobW

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 03:18:23 am »

I think that the project would have a much greater prospect of success if they broadened their potential political base. I would sign on to alot of what you guys talking about, and I think it's a neat idea, but it is quite a bit too extreme for me. I couldn't support the elimination of commerce regulations or the complete dismantling of ALL welfare; and such a severe level of privatization kinda makes me worry, generally, that we would just be headed for a feudal-like system.

Matt, thank you for posting here.  Do not worry, we do not want to end government or limit it to just 3 functions.  We just want to reduce the size of excessive government by 2/3 to 3/4.

You can't have a government that provides only an army, a police force, and a legal system.

You can have a federal government that only does those 3 things.  However, you would still need a state government to do other things.  Well, we are not talking about the federal government and we are not talking about limiting a state government to just those things either.  We are just talking about state governments and the slow but steady reduction in size of one state's government.

We are arguably in the danger zone of being overrun by large corporations as it is now..

I agree that corporations are too powerful.  One of the solutions that we would seek is the complete eliminate of corporate welfare in our state.  

I would like to see the death of the federal nanny state, accomplished by a shift of discretion back to the states on social policy issues....

Matt, that does sound ideal but over the last 200 years, the exact opposite has happened.  One of the reasons many of us joined is because we know that the federal government has always grown larger, no matter what we did.  So, like rational people, we decided to try something that has never been done before; if you do not try it then you do not know if it works.  We want to work on a state level because we cannot do anything productive on the federal level.

LeopardPM

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 10:26:07 pm »

Hi Matt! Good ta meet ya..

ok, so tell me why, exactly, a larger corporation is bad or worse than a smaller one?

You realize the only power that a corporation has over you is thru manipulating the government, which you, as an individual citizen cannot do or defend against.  The government, in its present form, is a deadly tool that corporations use to their ends.  Deflate government and 'poof' take away corporate ability to influence us through illegal means (coercion/fraud/force)
nothing to say...

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 05:11:04 am »

Del wrote:

<<I couldn't support the elimination of commerce regulations or the complete dismantling of ALL welfare; and such a severe level of privatization kinda makes me worry, generally, that we would just be headed for a feudal-like system.>>

Just because the FSP tends to favor these things doesn't mean they would happen anywhere near their pure form.  Existing residents, outnumbering us 20+ to 1, would tend to soften any really radical reforms we might favor...unless we do a surprising job of making the case, which would indicate we probably have a pretty good reform in hand, extreme or not.

BTW, which is extreme:  Government pointing a gun at your head threatening you with ruin if you don't give it half your money...or government not pointing a gun at your head not threatening you with ruin if you don't give it half your money?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 05:16:21 am by Dada Orwell »
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it
Pages: [1]   Go Up