Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold!  (Read 24252 times)

Brien

• I'm a Leo
    • standard transportation
Re: Cold!
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2009, 09:41:19 am »

well I have a gas vehicle so I don't have to worry about that...I just wanted to know if there were issues like your car not starting because its to cold.

When I lived in White River Jct Vt, and there were some 40 below nights, it took more cranking power to turn over even a gas engine than it would during the summer months, but if your battery is decent, you shouldn't have a problem.  I would make certain my anti freeze was in good shape to 50 below and flush the system once every 2 years or every 50,000 miles.  Depending on where you plan to live, or do live in NH, the overnight temps can vary by 20 degrees F.  Live in Colebrook, and it can get to 40 F below at night in Jan & Feb, but down in Keene, it may only go down to 20 F below on the same night.  These are extremes, but one should be prepared for them so as not to get caught off guard.  Once again, best scene scenario, I would recommend a garage maintained at 30 - 40 degrees and you'll likely never have a problem cranking in the morning no matter how cold it is outside, but that's just my preference for all year round protection for the old buggy.  :)
No country can be well governed unless its citizens as a body keep religiously before their minds that they are the guardians of the law, and that the law officers are only the machinery for its execution, nothing more......M. T.

adirondeau

• Its a Freedom thing.
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2009, 09:08:02 am »

if you are worried, change your battery out and buy the highest cold cranking amps that you can find. This will help ensure that the battery has enough kick to turn the engine over during those cold snaps.
If you do what you have always done, you'll get what you've always got...

A man's mind stretched to an new idea never goes back to its original dimension...

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2009, 10:07:50 pm »

I don't use additives, beyond what the filling stations include in the fuel.  I've never had fuel gel on me, even when it's been well below zero.
You are some lucky then..I am in the trucking business and see it happen at times in the winter all through the Northern states of North America..  I also have a Dodge Ram 2500 w/ a Cummins and my fuel gelled last winter here in Ct during a cold snap.  It only has to happen once and you learn to take precautions.  No big deal, but I wrote it because it does happen, and people with diesel engnes should be aware of the problem during the winter months..

I've never met anyone who's had fuel gel, living here.  The winter blend at the stations has enough additives in it.  I expect you may find that your issues have resulted from summer-blend fuel being sold improperly, or trucks traveling north with summer blend in the tanks.

Heating oil sometimes gels, if there's an outside tank, but that's only an issue because the oil burner fuel pumps have nowhere near the suction power of a vehicle fuel pump.  Even so, thinning it out with a bit of #1 oil (simulating winter blend diesel pretty well) solves that.

When I lived in White River Jct Vt, and there were some 40 below nights, it took more cranking power to turn over even a gas engine than it would during the summer months, but if your battery is decent, you shouldn't have a problem.

Definitely,  Last week, when we had the first real cold (ie, single digits) of the season, I determined that I needed a couple new batteries, the hard way.  $300+ later, and 1600 cold cranking amps fresher, and she's purring again...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2009, 01:28:32 am »

Also, if you get right on the beach (like RIGHT on it), you get the benefit of 45 degree waters (rarely gets below 40F), so there's not much freezing weather on the beach.  The ocean effect gets more pronounced as you get closer to the ocean.  I'm two miles from the ocean at my place in Seabrook, and you can get uber-mild winters by living on or near Ocean Blvd. (Route 1A).  If you have real issues with the cold, you can spend the extra money and get right onto the beach itself.  Not too rich?  The west side of Ocean Blvd. is just as good weather wise, and offers much lower prices.  It's not quite Manchester for rental values, but you rarely get a bad storm out there, and Seabrook Beach has a lot open year round.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2010, 05:45:56 pm »

Also, if you get right on the beach (like RIGHT on it), you get the benefit of 45 degree waters (rarely gets below 40F), so there's not much freezing weather on the beach.  The ocean effect gets more pronounced as you get closer to the ocean.  I'm two miles from the ocean at my place in Seabrook, and you can get uber-mild winters by living on or near Ocean Blvd. (Route 1A).  If you have real issues with the cold, you can spend the extra money and get right onto the beach itself.  Not too rich?  The west side of Ocean Blvd. is just as good weather wise, and offers much lower prices.  It's not quite Manchester for rental values, but you rarely get a bad storm out there, and Seabrook Beach has a lot open year round.

Unfortunately, wind chill more than makes up for a couple degrees difference in absolute temperature, and will suck the heat right out of an engine block, so even if you only park for a short time, you can end up having trouble.  Parking as well-sheltered from the wind is incredibly helpful when dealing with cold weather.

Not to mention that the colder temperature in the rest of NH keep the snow dryer, instead of sleet/slush mess.

I spent a couple decades within the "ocean effect zone," and I can wholeheartedly recommend that anyone concerned with the winter weather avoid the coast like the plague.  It may seem pleasant for a year or three, but after a few years, cleaning up that messy crud gets very old, very fast.  Stay at least three miles from the coast, and preferably at least five or six, as a bare minimum, to avoid the worst of the wet snow.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2010, 07:43:43 pm »

I went swimming in that ocean yesterday. Winters in NH are nothing to worry about. ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up