Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions from a prospect  (Read 10526 times)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:Questions from a prospect
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2002, 05:37:25 pm »

Much of this planning will have to take place after we choose the state, but there's no obstacle to our doing all the research and planning that we need.  See the "Free State Political Strategy" forum for some ideas.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Zxcv

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2002, 11:32:52 am »

Question: since the project is asking specifically for political activists, are you expecting them to spontaneously achieve political success?  I'm sorry if that sounds sarcastic, but the fact is there's no way on Earth you will succede unless you have a detailed plan in place beforehand.  That means you need an organization, a platform, political targets and objectives, campaigns.
This is an assertion that is not necessarily true.

There is no point in the FSP re-creating the wheel. The LP is already in every state. So they can handle the political party nuts and bolts, if a party is needed.

But I wonder if even that is wise. If we just transplant 20,000 LP members to a state who vote only for LP candidates, we will have accomplished almost nothing. I think it may be more helpful simply to run FSP people in the mainstream party races. FSP voters would get a simple email from the leaders saying who the FSP candidates in the major parties are (they won't be hiding the fact anyway). I assume the people orchestrating this will work in conjunction with the LP so the latter don't work at cross purposes (for example, running LP candidates in races that have a viable major-party FSP candidate).

I write the above with the admission I am a complete newbie. It is a guess on my part; I have not yet invested enough time in forums to see if my guess is really on target.

To me the essense of FSP is an idea, one that will cause freedom-loving people to concentrate. Having accomplished the concentration, we can assume the leaders will not squander that accomplishment! (The planning that brought about the accomplishment is evidence of ability to carry it forward for subsequent execution.) A certain amount of trust is involved. Besides, there ain't any other game in town, if you really want freedom...

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2002, 12:12:47 pm »

Zxcv wrote:

<<there ain't any other game in town, if you really want freedom...>>

Zx:

Elizabeth is collecting quotable quotes from FSP members to be posted to our index page on a rotating basis, I believe.  Can I send her what you just said, for that purpose? If so plz email me at dadaorwell@NOSPAMaol.com

Anyone else who wants to forward quotable quotes can send them to Elizabeth by posting them at

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=73

Dada
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2002, 02:42:52 pm »

Bill Hamilton wrote:

<<there's no way on Earth you will succede unless you have a detailed plan in place beforehand.>>

Robert Heinlein once said "detailed instructions are the death of initiative."

You could say the same thing about detailed plans.
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

Midwest Patriot

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2002, 04:30:45 pm »

I am also relatively new to FSP, but it seems to me that what Jason and others have done is give us the concept.  And the dream.  

The most important thing now is to build the people base and select the state when we hit the 5000 mark.  Its how you eat an elephant.....one bite at a time.  Don't let a lack of details, plans, etc cause us to lose sight of the big picture.  Our common desire for freedom from excessive government will provide enough impetus for a more detailed action plan as we proceed.  And I would have to believe that those of us that are truly interested in a free state are already well read on the subject, interested, knowledgeable and somewhat experienced.  We'll make the dream come true.  And no, I'm not a dewy-eyed idealist.  But rather a healthy 52 year old veteran, who believes FSP is the best idea I've heard in a long time.

As an aside, I agree that we should get involved with our local government now, to further our education and knowledge.  Personally, I've been active with commissions, etc.  Also campaigned for City Council.  Didn't make it, but the experience was invaluable.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in a time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.

Solitar

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2002, 07:01:04 pm »

Now here is some experience we should all be proud of Midwest Patriot for!
As an aside, I agree that we should get involved with our local government now, to  further our education and knowledge.  Personally, I've been active with commissions, etc.  Also campaigned for City Council.  Didn't make it, but the experience was invaluable.
If at once you don't succeed...
I lost my first two races - for council and then for county commissioner.
Then I got smart and ran when I could do so unopposed. But now that they know even more about my libertarian agenda, I'll likely never be unopposed again. :-\

Zxcv

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2002, 10:32:17 pm »

Gee, I didn't know I was quotable!

Dada, go ahead and use it, any you have my permission to use anything else I post here as well. When I post something on a BBS, I figure it's no longer under my control, ha ha.

Midwest Patriot

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2002, 10:32:08 am »

Joe-  Thanks for the kind words, but the old saying is true: You can make things happen, watch things happen, or wonder what just happened.  For too long I sat on the sidelines as the activism of others determined my life and destiny.  Like you, I realized I needed to become a part of the system if I was to have any hope of trying to fix it.  

Jason-  Maybe Joe and I, and other like minded folks can start working on political philosophy for the FSP, as long as its based on our current Constitution.   I know your idea was to get us there, and maybe those of us who can need to start thinking of what to do once we arrive.   I must qualify this though by saying once again we can't let details get in the way of an outstanding dream.    
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in a time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up