Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible new spreadsheet factor- Assisted Suicide Laws by State  (Read 5980 times)

freedomroad

Oregon has a statute permitting doctor-assisted/physician-assisted suicide.

North Carolina, Ohio, Utah, and Wyoming have neither a statute nor common law which prohibits assisted suicide.  These states used to prohibit assisted suicide through common law but did away with that application.

Alabama, Idaho, Massachusetts, Nevada, Vermont, and West Virginia prohibit assisted suicide through application of common law.

Thirty-nine states have a statute prohibiting assisted suicide, including: Maine, New Hampshire, Alaska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, and DE.

How the FSP states Rank:
1 Wyoming (legal)
2 Vermont (illegal only through common law)
2 Idaho (illegal only through common law)
4 ME, NH, AK, ND, SD, MT, and DE (illegal through written statute)

Maine does deserve some notice.  In 2000, 49% of Maine voters voted to legalize assisted suicide.

http://www.longwood.edu/library/suic.htm
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 07:04:52 pm by FreedomRoad »

freedomroad

Re:New factor- To Zxcv - to add to spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 12:28:33 pm »

Zxcv, I suggest you add this factor to the big spreadsheet.  Maybe even Jason should add this to the regular spreadsheet, after all, this is one of the top ten laws for many libertarians.

This should go under social factors or something similar.

Here are possible rankings:
WY 10
ME 3 (finally, something Maine does good at)
ID 2
VT 2
ND 1
SD 1
NH 1
DE 1
AK 1
MT 1
« Last Edit: June 08, 2003, 07:06:39 pm by FreedomRoad »

Zxcv

Re:Possible new spreadsheet factor- Assisted Suicide Laws by State
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 03:25:48 am »

I'll try to add it, although I am slowing down a bit on new rows.

I think I'd rather rate it this way:

WY 10
ID, VT, ME 2
all others 0

I don't know why the other states deserve any credit at all. I don't think ME deserves to be boosted over the other two on the basis of a failed vote.

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 03:33:17 am »

I think I'd rather rate it this way:

WY 10
ID, VT, ME 2
all others 0

I don't know why the other states deserve any credit at all. I don't think ME deserves to be boosted over the other two on the basis of a failed vote.

That is fine, but if you do not think Maine deserves any credit than it should get a zero because it is not in the same boat as ID and VT.  Maine actually went out of its way to make laws against assisted suicide.

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 08:58:08 am »

IMHO, any civil society should have laws that make some distinction between practicing medicine and assisted suicide.  

There is a tremendous amount of potential mischief in this gray area called assisted suicide because it really can be impossible to tell the legitimacy of the practice after someone is dead.  (like if someone was set-up by professional hit-men posing as physicians practicing assisted suicide)

Then there are ethical questions over the capability of possibly insane persons making such a decision and so forth: not all laws are necessarily non-libertarian on this matter, especially when focusing on the fraud aspects that this area can cover.

As to any law against suicide itself,  that is breathtakingly (no pun intended) stupid.  

----
As an example of how far all of these laws go to destroy freedom,

I knew a girl in college that actually got arrested for "exhibiting suicidal behavior"  she was jay-walking across the street at night (dumb, she admits) and she started crying hysterically when the police officers arrested her since she was already emotionally distraught after leaving a party that turned bad.  The police officers made the determination that she was suicidal and sent her to a mental health treatment facility where she stayed completely drugged out of her mind for a week.  The facility didn't bother to even contact family, the police didn't even bother to correlate the missing person report with this arrest either.  When she finally got released, she had to pay a huge bill for her drugged stay in a padded room!  This incident also went on her record and made it impossible to persue certain career avenues for several years!  She never even saw a court room or was even properly arrested or even heard an apology when she complained, and lawyers refused to take her case.

Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

freedomroad

Re:Possible new spreadsheet factor- What about it Jason?
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2003, 10:39:25 am »

How the FSP states Rank:
1 Wyoming (legal)
2 Vermont (illegal only through common law)
2 Idaho (illegal only through common law)
4 ME, NH, AK, ND, SD, MT, and DE (illegal through written statute)

Maine does deserve some notice.  In 2000, 49% of Maine voters voted to legalize assisted suicide.

http://www.longwood.edu/library/suic.htm

It still excites me that this is already legal in one of the candidate states.  Do not get me wrong, I do not want to die or kill anyone...I am just happy that a state actually thinks people own their own bodies.

So, Jason, what do you think?  Should this be added to this spreadsheet?  This is one of the more important libertarian issues...

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
Re:Possible new spreadsheet factor- What about it Jason?
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2003, 09:37:42 pm »

So, Jason, what do you think?  Should this be added to this spreadsheet?  This is one of the more important libertarian issues...

Whether it deserves its own row on the spreadsheet or not, it is certainly is highly indicative of a libertarian approach to individual liberty on a high profile issue.

The fact that it's part of the WYGOP's platform also impressed me.  I think that indicates a strong libertarian bent in the party, a bent we may be able to strengthen into a full-fledged change of direction.

Zxcv

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 10:55:14 pm »

OK, Keith, I'll put it in the big sheet as WY=10, ID,VT=2, the rest 0. Easy enough.

There is a tremendous amount of potential mischief in this gray area called assisted suicide because it really can be impossible to tell the legitimacy of the practice after someone is dead.  (like if someone was set-up by professional hit-men posing as physicians practicing assisted suicide)

Well, there is potential mischief in any freedom (says this Oregonian). We'll just have to trust the people to handle things. And BTW, usually hit men just kill their target with a .22 to the head. No need for them to get fancy...
Pages: [1]   Go Up