Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freestate Tyranny Response Team  (Read 2348 times)

cannon

• Mostly Harmless
Freestate Tyranny Response Team
« on: June 16, 2003, 05:16:55 pm »

I don't know about other states, but in Colorado the Tyranny Response Team (TRT) seems to get a lot of attention.
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/elkins/elkins19.html[/list]
    Even when I had dropped out of politics I still heard of them.
    Whatever it is that they're doing, they seem to get under the skin of the anti-gun crowd.

I found the national site at http://www.trtnational.com/ but there isn't anything there.

Do all the candidate states have TRTs present? And do most porcupines view this as a positive or negative thing? They appear to be non-violent and opposed to racism so I think they would probably help our cause.

Are there any TRT members in these discussion groups who could explain their strategies? The info I found was fairly scant.

Ceol Mhor

• FSP Participant
    • I'm a porcupine!
    Re:Freestate Tyranny Response Team
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2003, 07:14:15 pm »

Well, I had some contact with the Colorado TRT a couple years ago. I believe the initial idea was to create a quick-response counter-protest group that could show up on short notice to anti-gun protests and undermine them. Not a bad idea, but it didn't seem to work. A lot of the TRT members I met were really abrasive people, and they were more effective at making gun owners look like wild-eyed, conspiracy-theory-laden extremist nutcases (and I say that as an anarchocapitalist :) ). One particular example was guy who got a kick out of shouting 'sieg heil' at passing local cops and giving them a Nazi salute. I'm sure his buddies though it was fun and all, but the TRT was intended to get publicity for the pro-gun cause - and you can guess what kind of publicity that behavior got. Not that all or even most TRTers were like that, but that seems to have been the image that the group acquired. I know of a few moderately successful counter-protests that were done, and there were more times when the got in the paper for harrassing some individual anti-gunner simply because they didn't like him (like Tom Mauser). They guy may have deserved it, but the public perception was as I described above.

As far as I know, the Colorado TRT is effectively dissolved, and has been for at least a year or 18 months. Good riddance, IMO - they did us much more harm than good.

Zxcv

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2003, 11:56:41 pm »

To me, the idea sounds very appealing, but you'd sure want to have the right kind of members in it. Every one would have to be media-savvy, with a calm and reassuring demeanor.

I attended one of these a while back, although it was before the time of the TRT. I thought they did a very effective job. They were all very polite to the misguided soccer moms attending the event, and simply handed them material that was not outrageous, but reasonable. I think the moms were shocked that we did not have spittle flying out of our mouths, and that we could carry on a regular conversation.

The best headway I've made is on homeschool discussion lists. I'm usually one of the lone dads on the list (it's normally about 50:1 in sex ratio). Without guys like me, the default climate on such a list is quite anti-gun (perhaps the strictly Christian lists are different, I don't know). But the interesting thing about the gun control debate is, there is no debate. That there appears to be one is a result of our statist media. When gun control proponents actually have to make a rational argument, against someone already established on the list to be quite a nice and reasonable person, they just fall flat on their face. Their usual tool of character assassination is not available to them. I'll bet almost my whole 500-mom list would have a hard time any more, voting for gun control schemes, just because of little old me.  :)

I highly recommend homeschool lists as fertile ground for planting seeds of freedom. The moms there have already taken that crucial first step, being responsible for the education of their kids.
    « Last Edit: June 21, 2003, 11:59:08 pm by Zxcv »

BobW

• I'm a llama!
    « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 01:19:55 am »

Hi Zxcv,

Re "Media Savvy"

Roger Ailes, author of "You Are The Message", who ran Pres Reagan's 1988 advertising campaign, says being media savvy is more important than subject matter knowledge.

This is not to say the material need not be mastered, but that the more important skills involve dealing with the media.

BobW

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
      • Devolution USA
    « Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 01:36:38 am »

Zxcv and Bob,

Good thoughts on this.  I like the idea of a tyranny response team, but also agree that the participants should not be the wild-eyed type that are likely to make the hair on the back of one's neck stand up on sight.

We could set up regional coordinators in our state, each with a short list of volunteers who could be counted on to show up at town and county council meetings, school board meetings, and other activities where some type of freedom is under assault.

I'd also favor using a different name.  "Tyranny response team" sounds very militia-like, and is liable to make people either smile or cringe.  Maybe something like "Liberty action committee."  Just anything that doesn't sound like we'd be pulling up in a S.W.A.T. or A-Team van.   ;)
    Pages: [1]   Go Up