Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1996 GOP Convention: Delegates from WY, NH, MT, & ID  (Read 2471 times)

freedomroad

1996 GOP Convention: Delegates from WY, NH, MT, & ID
« on: June 05, 2003, 02:58:46 pm »

1996 Republican Convention: Delegates Forum
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/convention96/forums/monday_8-12.html

Delegates from various states were asked a series of questions.  It just so happens that a delegate from WY and another one from NH were part of this group.  This gives us real incite into a 1996 Republican state delegate.  

1. The Controversy over Abortion:
Wyoming’s Gloria Hedderman
“I agree with you Vincent! I think it just proves the point that for a democracy to really work, regular thinking people need to get involved. Otherwise the one-agenda people and extremist factions will take over. The anti-choice people are organized and they have gotten their people to San Diego, but I don't think they represent the majority view of the Republican Party. In general Republicans believe in liberty and believe that government should stay out of our individual lives. Everyone who believes in these principles should get involved and get elected to Republican party offices.”

New Hampshire’s Patricia Krueger
“I think that to honor life from conception to death has always been part of the Republican Party. To sacrifice that to win an election would not be in keeping with Republican values.”

2. About Jack Kemp being selected as the V.P. candidate:
“I've known and loved Jack Kemp for years - maybe even longer than I've known and loved Bob Dole. He's a real visionary - a leader. He sees possibilities when others just see the obstacles. He's a natural optimist and his optimism for America will energize us - not only the delegates at the Conventions but all Americans - except those who are stuck on Clinton and unable to get beyond that.”

â€œMinimal difference. One thing I can say about a conservative state like New Hampshire is that his pro-life position will be appreciated.”

3. How well the Delegates Represent the GOP:
 â€œI'm from Wyoming. I believe in individual liberties and individual responsibility. As the greatest nation on earth, we can help those who are hopelessly helpless but in general people need to use the magic of capitalism to support themselves and make their lives better. I believe that government closest to the people best represents the people. We must lead the way for the world. The world is looking to us to show that democracy works.”

â€œI am a Pat Buchanan Republican. I am conservative. Our delegation is predominantly conservative and I felt that, as a member of the Rules committee, it was vital to be conservative because the Rules committee sets up the order of the next set of primaries. The wrong order - - is going to help the liberal states and liberals in general in the Republican party and hurt conservatives. With small states like Iowa and New Hampshire, lesser known, more conservative candidates like a Pat Buchanan have a chance because the party will push the party's candidate not the people's candidate and often the people's candidate is the conservative and certainly the one with the new ideas.”

4. Clinton v.s Electing a Republican:
“I understand how you feel. But I hope you don't throw away your precious vote. If you're really worried about your children and grandchildren, you will recognize that the best thing for them would be to balance the budget and relieve them from irresponsible taxation. I know Clinton espouses some of that but these are historically REPUBLICAN issues - and REPUBLICAN principles. Don't be fooled thinking that Clinton really can or will do it. Good luck to you LeJeune - you're great!”

Not asked the question

My thoughts:
Make of it what you want.  These are just the views of one powerful Republican from WY and another from NH.  I prefer the answers from the Wyoming delegate.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 03:03:45 pm by FreedomRoad »

freedomroad

Re:1996 RP Convention: Delegates from MT and ID
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 03:02:09 pm »

At the same 1996 Convention, another group of state delegates were asked different questions.  In this group a delegate from both Montana and Idaho were present.  
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/convention96/forums/wednesday_8-14.html

1. The GOP on the environment:
Montana’s Tom Keating
“Old growth forests die and become polluters of the environment. Harvesting forests on sustained yield results in healthy forests and quality environment. In Montana there is a 200 year supply of trees that could be harvested and re-planted as it takes only 50 years to grow a tree. Clear cutting increases the ability to sustain new growth and wild life habitat. Selective cutting leaves individual trees susceptible to blow down and waste.

The Environmental Protection Agency has been excessive in its application of unworkable and unnecessary regulation . Air quality and water quality can be maintained through thoughtful numerical standards for safe air and water. The Republicans are for clean air and clean water because just like other people we breathe and drink, and want safe and enjoyable air and water. Scientific understanding of the levels of quality for air and water can be developed by a restricted EPA.”

Idaho’s David Ferdinand
“Government regulation, especially the EPA, has decimated the forest industry in the name of the environment. Colin Powell was mirroring the Republican stance on removing government regulations to improve the economic conditions for families in lumbering regions. Blue collar workers and their families privileged only if they have a way to feed their families.”

2. Getting out the message:
Montana’s Tom Keating
“Unfortuantely it seems that reporters can only attract readers and listeners when there is controversy. It appears that in looking for an “interesting story” there is an attempt to hint at controversy. The Republicans can only relay their message of hope and optimism based on principles that work. If the readers find this boring, it will be difficult to get the message of the Republican platform to the general public. Economics can be boring until it is perceived that a person’s livelihood is at stake. Platitudes appeal to emotions and are general easier to accept. But the truth is in defined principles of economics and morality.”

Idaho’s David Ferdinand
“The Republican pary has carefully planned the impressions that can be projected on television delivered by those impassioned with their experiences, i.e. Nancy Reagan, Colin Powell, J. C. Watt and others. The hope is to get the message to the public unfiltered by the network news pundits. The desire is to keep driving the message home so that it will be heard more than once. (Talking points are given to each delegate everyday).”

3. The Big Tent:
Montana’s Tom Keating
“If abortion is your only issue it will be difficult for you. Under our democratic system majority rules. A large majority of the platform committee agreed that abortion is the destruction of the first inalienable right which is life. Without life, liberty is not an issue. However, the pro-life majority would be tolerant of the pro-choice minority if we all agree on the many other issues addressed in the Republican platform.”

Idaho’s David Ferdinand
“Many weeks of hard negotiations brought the platform committee to the conclusion that a vast majority of Republicans are Republicans because of the Pro-Life plank. The inclusion of more moderate and liberal Republicans is the very reason that you have a convention that did not include Pat Buchanan. One wonders, if Pat Buchanan spoke at the convention, whether he may have upstaged the current ticket.”

4. Dole’s Tax Cut:
Montana’s Tom Keating
“Economic growth and the reduction in federal spending can balance the budget without causing greater inflation. The manipulation of the money supply by the Federal Reserve is the attempt to moderate growth and inflation at the same time. This balancing act will not work in the absence of economic growth. Deficit spending is the principle cause for the devaluation of the dollar which is reflected in monetary inflation and price inflation. Balancing the budget while growing the economy would only strengthen the dollar and avoid inflation.”

Idaho’s David Ferdinand
“The economy is not growing at the same rate it was when George Bush was in office. Greenspan saw it work in the Reagan years and will probably listen to the broadening of the GNP.”

My thoughts:
Make of it what you want.  These are just the views of one powerful Republican from MT and another from ID.  I prefer the answers from the Montana delegate.  

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
Re:1996 GOP Convention: Delegates from WY, NH, MT, & ID
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 12:26:42 am »

Keith --

For the most part I prefer the responses of the NH delegate, although the fact that I am pro-life, as she is, definitely helped.  I'll grant you this -- the WY delegate was substantially more verbose.  

Of course, this is really only two people, and it is ridiculous to imagine that these two people could each accurately represent the attitudes of hundreds of thousands of people from the two states.  You live in Tennessee, right?  If I interview Al Gore, do his responses to my questions have anything in common with yours?

Keith
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

freedomroad

Re:1996 GOP Convention: Delegates from WY, NH, MT, & ID
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 12:37:45 am »

Keith --

For the most part I prefer the responses of the NH delegate, although the fact that I am pro-life, as she is, definitely helped.  I'll grant you this -- the WY delegate was substantially more verbose.  

Of course, this is really only two people, and it is ridiculous to imagine that these two people could each accurately represent the attitudes of hundreds of thousands of people from the two states.  

I agree 100% and also said something similar above.

You live in Tennessee, right?  If I interview Al Gore, do his responses to my questions have anything in common with yours?

Yes, I live in TN.  First off, Al Gore is not a delegate in TN's major party.  However, let's say that he lives in TN.  Well, then he would be a member of TN's largest and most powerful party, just like the delegates from WY, NH, MT, and ID were.  He might not represent me, but he almosts represents the state as a whole.  He almost won the 2000 election in TN and has won other elections in TN, in the past.

Me, personally, no.  His views and mine are different most of the time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything