Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS. IS. BIG.  (Read 3488 times)

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
THIS. IS. BIG.
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:31:27 pm »

Okay, so...

I moved to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project in September of 2009. It's not been all that long ago, really. A couple of months, though I've been involved with the FSP for a while now.

Today, I experienced something at the Winchester Thanksgiving Shindig that really puts perspective on things here. I have to say, I'm both excited as hell and a little humbled by this feeling and I though I should share something.

I met new Free Staters today.

I'm not talking about people who saw something about the FSP and said "This is a good idea" and signed the pledge. I mean actual early movers. The folks who have left jobs, homes, wifes and husbands, mothers and fathers (and the case of one mover I met today, a child) in order to be here in New Hampshire, working to expand and protect my freedom and their own.

And what blows my mind is that I had no idea they were coming. Not a clue.

Today, this feels huge to me. I've been here two months, and already I'm meeting people who have made the move since I've done it.

Why is this so shocking? Well, intellectually, it's not. I'm mover 760 and the goal is 20,000. Surely, there's going to be a LOT of movers after me. But emotionally, on a very real level, I'm shocked to my core. Everytime I chat with people, be they friends or hostiles, I've always been the most iconoclastic advocate of liberty. I've been the anarchist in a group of statists. I'm the guy who will say in public "Meth should be legal" when some people doubt that weed should be. I'm the guy that says "there should be no property, income, sales or ANY tax" when others want to raise them, or think that they should just be "more fair".

There's a paradigm shift here that can't be imagined by someone not here. I hate to say that, because it sounds cliche and it sounds elitist, but it's the honest truth.

When you move here, you shift from being the iconoclast in your circle to being "just one of the regulars". Everybody else at tonight's dinner was instantly plugged into a network for friends, political kindred spirits, political equals. Everyone stuffing their face with turkey this evening denounces aggression, advocates peace, and is willing to put their shit on the line to do so.

I'm quite proud to have my FSP Early Mover cherry busted. I'm proud as hell to be humbled. Why?

Because this is big. Lemme restate that. THIS. IS. BIG. Today, I sat and chatted with dedicated folks who are JUST THE BEGINNING of this wave and these folks are even "newer" than me. I might not be a beautiful, dazzling unique snowflake anymore, but I'll happily take my place in the avalance.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: THIS. IS. BIG.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 08:55:04 am »

+100.

Kevin gets it.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 01:44:23 pm »

Okay, so...

I moved to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project in September of 2009. It's not been all that long ago, really. A couple of months, though I've been involved with the FSP for a while now.

Today, I experienced something at the Winchester Thanksgiving Shindig that really puts perspective on things here. I have to say, I'm both excited as hell and a little humbled by this feeling and I though I should share something.

I'm not talking about people who saw something about the FSP and said "This is a good idea" and signed the pledge. I mean actual early movers. The folks who have left jobs, homes, wifes and husbands, mothers and fathers (and the case of one mover I met today, a child) in order to be here in New Hampshire, working to expand and protect my freedom and their own.

Today, this feels huge to me. I've been here two months, and already I'm meeting people who have made the move since I've done it.

Why is this so shocking? Well, intellectually, it's not. I'm mover 760 and the goal is 20,000. Surely, there's going to be a LOT of movers after me. But emotionally, on a very real level, I'm shocked to my core. Everytime I chat with people, be they friends or hostiles, I've always been the most iconoclastic advocate of liberty. I've been the anarchist in a group of statists. I'm the guy who will say in public "Meth should be legal" when some people doubt that weed should be. I'm the guy that says "there should be no property, income, sales or ANY tax" when others want to raise them, or think that they should just be "more fair".

There's a paradigm shift here that can't be imagined by someone not here. I hate to say that, because it sounds cliche and it sounds elitist, but it's the honest truth.

When you move here, you shift from being the iconoclast in your circle to being "just one of the regulars". Everybody else at tonight's dinner was instantly plugged into a network for friends, political kindred spirits, political equals. Everyone stuffing their face with turkey this evening denounces aggression, advocates peace, and is willing to put their shit on the line to do so.

I'm quite proud to have my FSP Early Mover cherry busted. I'm proud as hell to be humbled. Why?

Because this is big. Lemme restate that. THIS. IS. BIG. Today, I sat and chatted with dedicated folks who are JUST THE BEGINNING of this wave and these folks are even "newer" than me. I might not be a beautiful, dazzling unique snowflake anymore, but I'll happily take my place in the avalance.

x1, dude.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

time4liberty

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 03:47:09 am »

Okay, so...

x1, dude.

Must ... refrain ... from ... making ... math ... police ... comment ...

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 04:21:33 am »

Okay, so...

x1, dude.

Must ... refrain ... from ... making ... math ... police ... comment ...

x1.

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 09:57:37 pm »

So many cool things have happened since I moved to NH.  I am mover 519 and have been here a little over 2 years now.

I was living here for 7 months when my world got turned inside out. 
Things were hard but I found some of the best friends I have every had. 
They not only were there for me but they let me know that I was loved and valued for who I am. 
NH is my home.  Moving here is the best thing I have ever done.

Fast forward to earlier this year.  I am helping a bunch of people open a private school for gifted kids ages 5 to 12.
One of the people on the board at they time has a great background in gifted education and has helped open a charter school in NH.  We are working with this person for months and we find they are a freestater when they move and become neighbors with another freestater who we know.  When you think you are working with locals and you find they are freestaters too.  That is the coolest thing I have run into.

kyfornow

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 12:47:51 am »

So many cool things have happened since I moved to NH.  I am mover 519 and have been here a little over 2 years now.

They not only were there for me but they let me know that I was loved and valued for who I am. 

Fast forward to earlier this year.  I am helping a bunch of people open a private school for gifted kids ages 5 to 12.
One of the people on the board at they time has a great background in gifted education and has helped open a charter school in NH.  We are working with this person for months and we find they are a freestater when they move and become neighbors with another freestater who we know.  When you think you are working with locals and you find they are freestaters too.  That is the coolest thing I have run into.

Good stuff

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 09:41:23 am »

Good stuff

The best part is I'm not the only one to have stories like this.  I know other people here woh have meet quiet hard working freestaers that no on knew about. 
I also know a ton of people that have made wonderful friends and families since moving her and would never consider moving back home.
Kate

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 12:05:06 pm »

One of the coolest experiences I had was with a local, actually.

Lindsay's laptop backlight died, so a Dell service tech came out to replace it. As he was removing the screen, I played a Porc411 call on my computer. After the call, the Dell tech looked up at me and asked "Are you a Free Stater?"

I'm not shy, so I said yeah, and he responded with "Good man! Every year, I go down to the Live Free Or Die rally and I've met a lot of really nice Free Staters down there."

As he was leaving, he said "Keep up the good work!'

It bothers me sometimes when some people stop considering themselves Free Staters once they move here. There's this fear that being known as a Free Stater is a stigma or something, but EVERY time I mention it, I've had people excited about the prospect. I understand what Kate is talking about. I did something completely NOT liberty oriented (organized a book signing for my favorite series) and with 4 people chosen at random to help out, one of them was a Free Stater.

Porcupines just come out of the woodwork. It's so awesome. :)

kyfornow

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 12:11:30 pm »

Yeah I'm not the type to keep quiet either.  I brought lots of negative attention on myself from my family and people around me when, in the 10th grade I made it clear to people I was an atheist, and engaged in much solo disobedience such as refusing to stand for the pledge or attend the school christmas activities.  In a small town area this defines you as someone who hates veterans and jesus and tends to make life a little difficult.  I was actually ostracized or ridiculed more than many gay people around here!

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 12:15:22 pm »

I got married in Elizabethtown. I took my wife's last name.

I know just what you mean about being ostracized there around that area for being different.

FreeStyle

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 12:56:31 pm »

I introduced myself to my neighbors and chit chatted with them as I was raking the pineneedles.  They mentioned their political parties and I mentioned that I'm a free stater.  One neighbor looked at his wife and said that they'd heard of the organization.  I said it's just a vehicle to move people to the state in order to do the same thing other political activists do, but I choose to defend liberty.

One gentleman told me that he was glad to see a gadsden flag on my car, it helped relieve his worries about the massachusetts plates.  I told him that I'm for freedom, as long as you don't harm others I'm not going to support your jailing.  My neighbors now have two of those freestaters as neighbors, and I've helped to set their mind at ease by introducing myself and showing that I'm just a normal guy who rakes his lawn and puts on the football game.

I'm pleased with my decision to "come out" and be up front with people.  Considering they've continued to wave, chat, and say hello I'm pretty sure they're taking it with an open mind.

Sam A. Robrin

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 02:25:56 pm »

I got married in Elizabethtown. I took my wife's last name.

I know just what you mean about being ostracized there around that area for being different.

Me, too.  And I expressed it thusly:

YOU'RE CRAZY
COPYRIGHT 2009 by Sam A. Robrin or whoever the hell it is who writes these things. Go ahead and use it, but if you make a little money on it, I want some!

My earliest of memories are shot through with a yearning
To understand existence and increase my store of learning.
Relatives and parents all agreed that I'd love schooling--
What I found when I got there, though, showed they were only fooling.
It wasn't the curriculum that caused dissatisfaction,
But that it came in second to their code of social action

And they'd say these words to me [Alphabet song]:
You're crazy, nutty, weird, insane, you're different, you're strange--
Unfit for human company unless you start to change.
To make atonement for this inconceivable enormity,
We'll grudgingly allow you to affect a bland conformity.

My inner self marooned, abandoned, incommunicado,
In time, my sad lot must improve, I said with false bravado,
While rising through the ranks of so-called "higher education."
But all I got was more suspicion and humiliation.
And as the numbers of the grades increased, I found, despondently,
My spirits lowered in inverse proportion, correspondently.

And they'd say these words to me [Football song]:
Unfit for human company unless you start to change.
We'd excise the offending parts, but don't think that they're scissorable,
And so we'll compensate by making your existence miserable.

Surely things were different in the ivied halls of college,
   Where students willing-
   Ly go for fulfilling
      Their potentials?
The goal, I learned, was not about pursuit of thought or knowledge,
   But indoctrination
   And accumulation
      Of credentials.

The world rejected my attempts to make a contribution.
But then one day I ran across the Ron Paul Revolution.
And then the Free State Project--and I made the move to Keene
And got the friendliest reception that I've ever seen!
The truth of individuality, I learned, unwitting:
Fittingly, you fit when you're not fit for fitful fitting!

And they say these words to me [Yankee Doodle]:
You're one of us, and Welcome!  Come and help us work for change.
You're totally unsuited to mundane conventionality.
Congratulations! You're a four-star Free State personality!

raymcgill

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 04:01:14 pm »

FSP keeps being painted as anarchist and antigoverment. I know that is just some of the people in the project. Glad they congregate, because that isn't real productive in the whole changing things and getting things done department. I am very pro FSP, but hesitate to mention it at first meeting someone due to reactions. I've heard "oh, you just want to overwhelm our state with outsiders to change our politics..." or the whole drug issues. Not good foundation for meeting people. Just an observation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up