Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First post-just wondering about the acupuncture market  (Read 3692 times)

Zaden

First post-just wondering about the acupuncture market
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:10:33 pm »

Okay, some background.  My partner and I currently live in Texas and are both acupuncturists.  We have gotten a taste of starting a small business here, but have had our other jobs to fall back on the whole time.  She is originally from France, by way of Canada an CA, and I am originally from AL.  We are looking to move, and NH sounds like we would both love it, but are cautious at the same time. 
  We will be planning a visit to NH in the next few monthsto check out some of the towns and cities.  So, here are the questions, first, does anyone know what the acupuncture market is like in NH?  A google search shows a number of clinics and offices in Manchester, and a few spread over.  (are any FSPers here acupuncturists?, we don't want to step on toes, but some tips on the "climate" would be great).  Currently we are looking toward Seabrook, based solely on 'net reading, though the supposed "European" feel of Portsmouth obviously appeals to her, and myself as well, but there are practitioners there and based on population....well, we don't want to make too much of a crowd.
  Any tips and/or opinions are appreciated. 

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
Re: First post-just wondering about the acupuncture market
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 05:35:33 pm »

inb4 "Liberty Forum"

We will be planning a visit to NH in the next few months to check out some of the towns and cities.  So, here are the questions, first, does anyone know what the acupuncture market is like in NH?  A google search shows a number of clinics and offices in Manchester, and a few spread over.

Dont know 

(are any FSPers here acupuncturists?, we don't want to step on toes, but some tips on the "climate" would be great).

See above

Currently we are looking toward Seabrook, based solely on 'net reading, though the supposed "European" feel of Portsmouth obviously appeals to her, and myself as well, but there are practitioners there and based on population....well, we don't want to make too much of a crowd.
  Any tips and/or opinions are appreciated. 

Maxx is going to love you.

Tips? Common sense: If its cold, dress warmer.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:38:57 pm by Sovereign Curtis »
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Zaden

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:04:44 am »

inb4 "Liberty Forum"

Dont know 

See above

I kinda figured that would be the response I would get.  Thanks.  As for dressing warm, yeah, my partner lived in Montreal for a while, so she has been telling me all about how I will be frozen having lived in the South all my life.  Thanks again.

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:12:07 pm »

inb4 "Liberty Forum"

Dont know 

See above

I kinda figured that would be the response I would get.  Thanks.  As for dressing warm, yeah, my partner lived in Montreal for a while, so she has been telling me all about how I will be frozen having lived in the South all my life.  Thanks again.

I'm from the South, and those around me will tell you I get cold much sooner than everyone else (the lack of body fat doesnt help), but its not prohibitively cold (anytime I think somewhere in the USA is cold, I just remember our hat [Canada], those people have it much worse, if they can take it...) and allows for some variety (the spice of life) in the seasons (where I'm from there is HOT, golf weather, and wear a sweater).
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 05:09:56 pm »

Maybe fish around here.  There are only 99 licensed Accupuncturists in NH.  Good Luck!

http://www.nh.gov/nhes/elmi/licertoccs/acupunct.htm
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:14:06 pm by Jeff LaGrange »
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:59:47 pm »

I'd suggest you also look at open office space/cost (house with included office? etc), combined with population density versus number of practitioners...

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 09:27:25 pm »

I would also check day spas and chiropractors. 
If you want to say work out of more than one location.
Kate

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 08:31:06 am »

Portsmouth is a great town.. if they need an acupuncturists... that is the perfect town.

(can't say I know anything about that market)

Welcome to the forum!

Zaden

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 10:48:12 am »

Thanks everyone.  These are all things we are looking into or will during our trip.  Hopefully it will work out and we'll be on our way soon.

PassionatePantherrr

• FSP Participant
  • Passionate
    • The Passionate Pantherrr
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 12:48:07 pm »

Hi there... I'm in NH, and although I have my MAOM (from NESA), I am not yet certified/licensed (having little ones have delayed my plans). Currently, I'm doing natural health consulting, and seeing clients from a western herbal viewpoint. The major metropolitan areas are Manchester (more yuppies, largest city), Portsmouth (small town feel, population is better off financially), and Nashua (bedroom community for MA, so you get a lot of folks who make a decent living, and are a bit more familiar with alternative medicine), so you could probably get a practice going in those areas most readily. The annual meeting of the NHAAOM is in November, and they maintain a small yahoo-group list, about half of NH's Lic.Ac. are members. You can look up the RSA's on acupuncture off of the NH.gov website (scope of practice, etc), and the related rules on the licensed professions page. I'm in a small town, and so would likely try networking with a local PT practice if I ultimately obtain licensure. (I also have local suppliers of herbs and such, if you need them). I would also take a look on nh.craigslist.org and see what other holistic health practitioners are asking for rental space in thier offices... that would be a good way to find out what rental costs are in those areas, and give you an opportunity for walk-in clients from their established practices. Feel free to drop me an email privately if you have any other questions.

-Denise
Pages: [1]   Go Up