Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I think I like the FSP  (Read 9496 times)

kyfornow

I think I like the FSP
« on: December 10, 2009, 12:44:48 pm »

I like liberty activity, and I like what I see going on in NH, at least from what I see online.  But I don't think I like the FSP organization. 

So far my exposure to FSP particulars tells me that they are all nuveau riche, bureaucratic and have no grasp on what it is to make real sacrifice. 

I'm seeing that, aside from the factor of force, that the FSP is quite similar to government or to the organizational heirarchy of many silly corporations, rife with flaws and oversights.

I've received helpful feedback from many free staters and volunteers, but I'm not sure I am a fan of the FSP organization itself.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:11:34 pm by kyfornow »

PraeterIdiot

Re: I don't think I like the FSP
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:11:16 pm »

good thing then that the FSP organization isn't everything that there is to New Hampshire.

on the flip side of your "those rich people don't know what real sacrifice is," wouldn't a person like that have concern that the huddled masses don't know what it is to make a real sacrifice since they don't have anything to lose?  It's just as much a broad stroke as you make about people who are financially well-off or affluent in some other way that you either are not or perceive yourself to not be.

kyfornow

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:27:34 pm »

good thing then that the FSP organization isn't everything that there is to New Hampshire.

on the flip side of your "those rich people don't know what real sacrifice is," wouldn't a person like that have concern that the huddled masses don't know what it is to make a real sacrifice since they don't have anything to lose?  It's just as much a broad stroke as you make about people who are financially well-off or affluent in some other way that you either are not or perceive yourself to not be.

You're absolutely right.  I could be perceived as being as guilty on the opposite end of that arguement as the people I accuse.  But I am also speaking of attitude as well.  I know a few people who are affluent in this community, who  are realistic and down to earth.  They are very generous people, and even though they are well-monied, seem to have a reasonable perspective that not everyone has the money, influence and resources that they have.  And even the ones who don't share their wealth with others or pay the people working for them above average, etc, they don't go through life with n artificial perspective on reality.

time4liberty

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 02:21:48 pm »

Ky, the actual FSP organization is almost irrelevant to actual activism. They put on porcfest, and the liberty forum (both great events!), but the actual activism is done just by like minded people in an area working together, whether it be politically, for CD, or otherwise.

That is, the point of moving to NH is to be around a lot of other liberty activists, so that if you or they have an idea, you can get the manpower together to get something done -- and so you don't have to build all your activism up from scratch, but can plug into existing efforts.

The FSP organization is not at all involved with activism planning or execution -- it's just a tool to get people to move.

Also, there really is no single description for liberty activists in NH -- come up with a description, and there's probably someone that fits it. There are rich, poor, politicos, civdis types, agorists, constitutionalists, minarchists, voluntaryists, etc, as well as all different personality types and levels of commitment.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:23:56 pm by ttie »

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:07:54 pm »

So far my exposure to FSP particulars tells me that they are all nuveau riche, bureaucratic and have no grasp on what it is to make real sacrifice.

I haven't seen anyone respond in such a way to your posts.

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 05:04:46 pm »

Gee, talk about left field. Have you met many of the board members, organizers or doers of the FSP?

Cathleen

kyfornow

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 05:44:48 pm »

I did not refer to volunteers and such nor did I attack the fsp peoplem. I am merely stating that I am developing a strong impression that the fsp board is comprised of a whole different genre of people.  I don't have anything against them but if everyone was like them in the liberty movement I would assuredly find nobody with common interests or life expeiences. 

rossby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 05:53:47 pm »

I am merely stating that I am developing a strong impression that the fsp board is comprised of a whole different genre of people.

Genre of people? What's that mean?

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 06:01:40 pm »

Those of us on the board are all volunteers and work with many other volunteers on the o-list and the doers list to bring liberty activists  to NH. What did you think we were?

Cathleen

jeanius

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 06:11:10 pm »

And many of us (I'm a former board member) have moved to NH, in my husband's and my case from Oregon, uprooting our three children, and walking into a state I was completely unfamiliar with.  I've also spent many many many hours volunteering for the FSP.  The organization does pretty well overall for a group of people who don't get paid, get little applause, but do get complaints fairly regularly.  :)

kyfornow

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 06:24:43 pm »

I'm reading about the board. And I see airline pilot. Lawyer ivy league professor. Etc. I'm not even sure I speak the same language.

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 06:36:46 pm »

<----   Unemployed Student.   Military Reservist and multiple times combat vet.    Drive a '65 VW Bus.    Live in a single wide trailer.    Open to the idea of stregnth in diversity.     Willing to ask questions and learn a new language if necessary.  Hardly elite, hardly rich and not intimidated by those I perceive as more educated, better employed or more literate.   
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson

kyfornow

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:02:46 pm »

I know people with more education and/or more wealth than myself who do not manifest within pretention or who are not unnecessarily sophisticated.  And I'm not referring per se to people who feel the need to have servants and drink tea, but more to a demeanor. 

I'm most certainly not intiimidated by anyone for any reason but the question is will I be able to effectively comunicate on an interpersonal level with the fsp.  I am a person with ideas but I am a person of straight talk.  I don't fancy sitting in meetings or listening to politico speak. 

I also don't like inaction or when people disregard the need to do problem solving.  This happens in government, businesses, and nonprofits.

ny2nh

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:41:32 pm »

Since you're only in your 20's, maybe you have issues with people who are more settled and more financially secure? Sure, Varrin is a pilot and Jason is a professor.....but that doesn't mean that they are or act pretentious...it just means they are successful in what they do. How is that a problem for you?

rossby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:44:24 pm »

I'm reading about the board. And I see airline pilot. Lawyer ivy league professor. Etc. I'm not even sure I speak the same language.

... looks like we're both speaking English.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up