Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The bottomline for my father  (Read 20200 times)

kyfornow

The bottomline for my father
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:50:53 pm »

I sat down with my dad for about another 45 minutes today trying once again to convince him that he wants to move to NH. 

In order to sell my dad on the idea, here's his bottom line- maybe some of you out there in NH land can suggest the regions that will best fit this.

Bearing in mind that I am looking for about 50 acres of cheap, remote undeveloped land

For dad it has to fit the following 2 things

1) A climate with as little of the extreme harsh winter as possible, dad doesn't mind if most of the time the winter in NH is like our WORST winter weather in KY (temps of 15ish)
as long as he has some spring time to do gardens and such, but if the majority of the 6 months of winter time there are going to be the ice and snow of doom he doesn't want it

2) Beech, hickory, oak and walnut trees (preferrably all of them)  Unfortunately the pictures I have shown him of sample properties all he tends to see are mostly conifers

if anybody can make suggestions on particular areas to focus on looking for land that fit that please let me know

creaganlios

Re: The bottomline for my father
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:01:13 pm »

I live on 18 acres in Winchester, in the extereme sw corner of the state.  It's up against the 21-square mile, undeveloped Pisgah State Park.  There are many large acreage parcels available for sale.

The land is about 25% evergreens, 75% hardwoods.  The hardwoods are a mix of Maple, Hickory, Beech, and Oak...with more beech and hickory than i would have guessedwhen i first looked at it from the road!  I dont have any walnut, though i have seen some famrs along our road with very large walnut trees.

kyfornow

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 06:59:49 pm »

Thank you very much for the input.  But I have 2 questions to follow this up with-

1) Do you have any idea how I might be in contact with someone regarding the land you speak of?
2) What is the climate like in all 12 months in the area where that acreage is

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 07:26:19 pm »

The mildest winters in New Hampshire can be found on the seacoast.  Land is more abundant on the southern part, but Seabrook's rural side tends to offer something more like two acre lots.  On the other hand, so much is in conservation, right now, that you can grab a small lot and go hiking or snowmobiling on a dozen acres of public or conservation land.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

creaganlios

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 09:00:48 pm »

Thank you very much for the input.  But I have 2 questions to follow this up with-

1) Do you have any idea how I might be in contact with someone regarding the land you speak of?
2) What is the climate like in all 12 months in the area where that acreage is

1) You should come visit me :-)  There are two lots across the road from me for sale :-)  email me at benchpress59@yahoo.com and we can talk, and i can put you in contact with a local realtor with a lot of land in the area for sale.

2) because we are southern, we tend to be warmer; but because we are inland, we are also more "extreme."  Realistically, that means our summers can be HOT (by my standards), meaning mid-high 80's in July-August. Winters are *not* as cold as up on the Canadian border, but they ARE wet: SW NH (the Monadnock Region) along wth north central and northwest massachusetts, are notorious for being a snowbelt.  This past winter we saw flurries or snow just about every day, and had three storms that piled on 18 inches or more each time.

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 10:13:30 pm »

I suggest you search Cheshire, Sullivan, and Grafton counties.  Those are the onlly ones where you'll find a lot of acreage for cheap.  The other counties are either too expensive or too cold, IMO.
I've seen some decent values in places like Unity, Acworth, Antrim, Alexandria, and Grafton.
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 10:37:56 pm »

Weather.com offers stats on temperature that you may find useful.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

kyfornow

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 11:14:04 pm »

I live on 18 acres in Winchester, in the extereme sw corner of the state.  It's up against the 21-square mile, undeveloped Pisgah State Park.  There are many large acreage parcels available for sale.

The land is about 25% evergreens, 75% hardwoods.  The hardwoods are a mix of Maple, Hickory, Beech, and Oak...with more beech and hickory than i would have guessedwhen i first looked at it from the road!  I dont have any walnut, though i have seen some famrs along our road with very large walnut trees.

This is all  excellent information.  I think what I will do is look at the Winchester area with some weather stats.  I’ll take your words and present them to dad regarding the trees and then show him the weather info I print out, as far as temps and frequency of heavy snowfall.

Personally I like the idea  of all that snow, but the father is not too fond of it. 
I’ve got to convince him that 3-4 instances of 18+ inches of snow is something he can accommodate :P  The problem is that my dad quit school in the 7th grade whereas I’ve had a few classes in grad school so he’s a lot smarter than I am! 

I also realized something that I was evaluating incorrectly.  I was limiting my search to land that was $1000 an acre, which of course is quite limited in NH.  However, because of the substantial amount of LESS taxes, I could afford a more costly bit of acreage because I’ll have a good bit more money in hand. 

Also once I’ve got dad on board, I’ve got to start calling every financial entity, bank, lender etc and see if they will extend credit, considering I already have a $300 land payment.  I could afford the 2nd payment until I can turn this land in KY around and sell it, but it’s just a matter of getting the lenders in NH to see it that way. 

If I can sell dad on the prospect of the timber and climate in that area, I’ll email you shortly after!

You’ve all been very helpful already, which is the kind of thing I am looking for in FSP people as I prepare to visit NH and see what’s up. 

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 11:27:57 pm »

I sat down with my dad for about another 45 minutes today trying once again to convince him that he wants to move to NH. 

I'm sure you've seen it mentioned around, but have you throught of bringing your dad to Liberty Forum 2010?

I know a number of people who weren't quite sure (or really at all), but a trip up there changed their minds in a snap.

freedomroad

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 11:35:17 pm »

I'm sure you've seen it mentioned around, but have you throught of bringing your dad to Liberty Forum 2010?

I know a number of people who weren't quite sure (or really at all), but a trip up there changed their minds in a snap.

Great idea.  And if a hotel conference isn't your style, there is always Porcfest!!!

kyfornow

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 12:15:35 am »

No, I assure you a trip to the liberty forum isn’t going to convince my dad of anything.  He’s just an old man that wants to be out in the woods and farm.  Now it’s possible that once we got land and settle in and I am spending time doing liberty activity that he would see me doing it and be having discussions with me and might slowly drift into a very passive liberty involvement (most likely just with me)

For example if I was getting some materials ready to pass out to people or go present in an educational setting, he might help me get it ready to save some time.  Dad’s not a person that likes to be in front of anything. He just wants to farm and hunt squirrels, and work on old guns.

Which that’s exactly what I want out of life, is to be off in the wilderness hunting or tending a garden or just being outside, but I’m a lot younger than he is and I have a lot less to look forward to.  Government will get a lot worse in terms of my lifetime than it will in terms of his remaining lifespan. That’s how he sees it.

It’s funny though because he’s in fairly good health for 71, and when I was talking to him yesterday about making the move with me- he pulled this old man mantra on me, feeble voice and everything.  “Son, I just couldn’t bear to move to NH.  I’m too old to be moving off, changing my whole life, and I just couldn’t handle that cold like I could 50 years ago.”

I replied “Are you seriously trying to play the old man game. :P Is this the same old man that works almost every day?  Or is it the old man that just 2 days ago stayed up for 27 hours straight, about 16 of which you spent working?!”

As for myself the liberty forum is not something I need to see to convince me of the FSP.  I intend on making my initial visit within the next 8 weeks and it’s possible that I’ll already have made the move before the event takes place.  Thus in that case it will just be something I attend by fact of already being in NH.

creaganlios

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 08:24:37 am »

Tell your dad that we're enjoying Thanksgiving with a bird we shot on our own land, water pumped from our own well, potatoes dug from our own garden, and syrup boiled down from our own trees. We used to raise chickesn and sheep, and my partner, who owned horses, is baking his grandma's southren-styled Angel biscuits. :-)

Oh, and the Bourbon.....

;D

kyfornow

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 08:39:38 am »

Tell your dad that we're enjoying Thanksgiving with a bird we shot on our own land, water pumped from our own well, potatoes dug from our own garden, and syrup boiled down from our own trees. We used to raise chickesn and sheep, and my partner, who owned horses, is baking his grandma's southren-styled Angel biscuits. :-)

Oh, and the Bourbon.....

;D

This will probably convince him more than the trees and weather. 

time4liberty

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 02:14:17 pm »

It was mostly hardwoods where I was, in Cheshire County.

Here's a temperature chart for Portsmouth, which is probably the more moderate corner of the state: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USNH0191

And here's one for Keene area, where I was, which is very nice, and as I say, definitely mostly hardwoods: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USNH0119

You can see the average daytime highs don't get that low ;). And the snow is beautiful - get your dad cross country skiing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 02:15:50 pm by ttie »

kyfornow

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 09:45:05 pm »

I’ve looked all over the place and apparently it’s near impossible to find a collection of easy to read, accurate weather data from previous years.  I thought a few point and clicks would show me the 2008 winter data, but no!  I did happen upon a site called weather underground.com but I question it’s accuracy almost 100% because none of the little month maps I pulled up for the Winchester area showed days that had snowfall last winter. 

Dad said he wasn’t as worried about the cold as much as the nature of timber.  He still actually doesn’t believe me after I reported back to him what Thom S said.  The only thing that will convince him, he said, short of him being in NH when I visit, is for me to take pictures of trees on potential properties.

Dad’s priorities in land are rabbits and squirrels, and having the ability to plant gardens, and those trees I listed.  I have convinced him there’s plenty of small game, but the tree thing he isn’t buying yet.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

anything